Vintage Little Big Muff - tone control mod or EQ pedal?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Viral_Rock, Feb 20, 2015.

1. Viral_Rock

Viral_Rock Member

Looking to make better use of my vintage (probably late 70s) Little Big Muff Pi. It's the one with brown and yellow lettering and a two-position tone switch instead of a tone control pot. This tone control scheme is useless IMO - you can only get buzzing bees or completely blanketed tones. Trying to figure out the best way to work around or modify the tone control.

The way I see it, I can use an EQ pedal after it, or I can modify the pedal to add a tone control. Any thoughts on how the resulting sound will differ between those two options? I'm somewhat reluctant to mod a 40 year old pedal (somehow it just feels wrong). Glancing at the schematic, looks like the tone control for a big muff is after all the clipping stages, so maybe an EQ pedal after it in the chain will sound virtually identical to a functional tone control?

Don't have an EQ pedal at the moment, so can't just plug that in and see how it sounds. Was hoping to get some feedback before I made that purchase.