vintage Marshall 4x12. It creaks !

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hamfist, Apr 7, 2008.

1. hamfist

hamfist Member

I've just bought myself a 1970's Marshall 4x12. I'm no expert whatsoever on either vintage gear or 4x12's and would appreciate some advice. I've never even owned a 4x12 before. I always felt that 2x12 was enough previously. The thing is that the cab audibly creaks if I lean on the top front edge of the cab, or push in either of the sides of the cab.

Is this normal for a fairly old Marshall 4x12 ? Something to worry about ?

If the cab is knackered it won't be a disaster, as its come loaded with some very nice speakers. Come on guys, be brutally honest with me.

2. KBN

KBN Member

The cab shouldn't do that. All is not lost though. Open up the cab and check all the joints and corner bracings. I am sure you will be able to pinpoint the cause(s) of the creaking. You might just need to tighten or rebrace something.

3. Tony Foran

Tony Foran Supporting Member

It might be really dry. You could try putting a wet towel inside the cab for a short period of time.

4. 4styx

4styx Member

Wood does not creak or sqeak,fasteners do(a nail or unthreaded portion of a screw).

5. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Could be the glue in one or some of the finger joints might have popped loose. Then the wood would rub against it self under pressure and you would hear that kind of noise. It can be repaired carefully, if that is the issue.

6. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Double check the screws, tighten as needed, but you might need to put some wood glue in the corners, squeeze it in with paper towels and let it dry overnight. That "should" take care of it.

7. gretsch58

gretsch58 Member

tighten up the speaker baffle, and speakers.

8. hamfist

hamfist Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll have a look inside today.

9. hamfist

hamfist Member

OK, just had a good look around inside. I did all the screws up nice and tight (all except 1, which I shall get to later). No difference at all, I still get the same creaking.
    The creaking seems to originate along the top/front of the cab. The joints between the sides and the top of the cab seem secure, and there are absolutely no gaps to squeeze any wood glue into.
    What I'd like to do now is to remove the baffle, to inspect all the joints where the bits of wood the baffle is screwed into join on to the main sides and top of the cab ...... But I can't !
    One of the screws holding the baffle in place is obscured by one of the inset cab handles. I just can't get at the screw at all. Unfortunately the handle is rivetted in. how can I remove that handle, and then obviously put it back on again ? I would be very happy to replace the rivets with screws if that is necessary.
    Your advice would be much appreciated.

10. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Carefully pry the rivets out.

11. chaz

chaz Member

Suggest you try using an offset screwdriver before messing with the handle!