Vintage marshall gurus, what exactlly have I bought? (with pics)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Amit, Jun 13, 2005.

1. Amit

Amit Member

I'm talking about the "Farchi" in the middle...

[​IMG]

A bit of Israeli history is needed:)
    In the late 60s to early 70s taxes on import audio gear were sky high, so a few builders/companies started building gear locally. two of them (Halilit and Farchi) were selling also tube amps that were known to be Marshall amps assembled locally. of course this hasn't escape the eyes of the authorities, and in one way or another this stopped somewhere in the early to mid 70s.

Halilit were, and still are, a large distributor of musical gear and for many years they officially distribute Marshal in Israel. I've seen and played a couple of those old tube Marshall/Halilit amps, and they sound great, but never even saw a Farchi amp, which was a small operation builder that closed in the mid 70s since he was only building tube amps.

A friend of mine that was a pro player during those years always told me that Halilit made great amps back then, but Farchi built the real deal and not many were around even then. anyway, as can be seen above I got my hands on a Farchi head!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I have no more info on the amps that Farchi (or Halilit) built during those years. this specific head was stored from the late 70s and as can be seen it is practically new:)
    Now, on the back plate it reads "Super Bass 100w Lead", but its a 2xEL34 amp. also the trannys look different then marshalls.

So, can anyone tell me what I have in my hands?
    Rest assured, this amp sounds a-m-a-z-i-n-g:p
    The seller brought it out of storage, cleaned the dust, I plugged a cab, a guitar, and it started working without a hitch! no noise what so ever! and the sound... this is simply *it*:D

2. doctord02

doctord02 Member

It looks like a really nice handwired 50 watt "Marshall" copy. It's definitely a copy tho, none of the components/styles match what Marshall ever did.

Without seeing close up pictures of the tag board and componet values, it's hard to say much more. The construction looks bulletproof. I see it has individual bias adjustments for each power tube... nice touch.

Quite a nice find, I'd say...

3. ROKY

ROKY Member

That is a very cool piece !

4. tybone

tybone Member

Nice workmanship....I especially like the trim pots and those MASSIVE transformers. Nice box.

5. tonedaddy

tonedaddy Member

I am here as you are here as you are me and we are
    Very cool!

What does it say around the "speakers input" jacks?
    I can read some of it, but can't make all of it out.

6. Swarty

Swarty Member

Looks to be real close to a model 1986. This would make the tropical fish caps .022uF and the mustards .1uf.

7. Amit

Amit Member

There you go:)
    [​IMG]

8. Amit

Amit Member

Does this help?
    <hope those pics are not too big>

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Shemp

Shemp Member

Hey, what does it matter? It's a 50 watt 2Xel34 something or other made with non british components. If it sounds great, it is great. Which Marshall does it sound like?

One thing. If it was built in the late 60s/early70s it's now approaching 35 - 40 years of age. I'd recommend having a tech give it a once over.

Great find!

Enjoy it for what it is!

10. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

Cool!

As the others have said, it's a Marshall clone built to a very nice standard, quite close in layout but using mostly different types (not values, the ones I can read mostly look the same) of components. No reason it won't sound great or be reliable.

The transformers are interesting, they look quite like the ones used in some 70s Japanese amps. A lot of the other parts are Japanese-origin too.

Oddly labeled though... it isn't a 100-watter (can't be, only two EL34s) and although it says both Bass and Lead, I think it's actually a clone of a PA model since it doesn't seem to have 'bright' caps on either channel. Do the two channels sound identical? These amps are all very similar BTW, just a few cap values and a couple of resistors different between all of them.

11. Amit

Amit Member

I have it for a couple of days and yea, I enjoy it for exactly what it is, a guitar amp that sounds good and works well (so far anyway:p).
    I'm interested to know what it is, on what design it was based for fun, trivia, and maintenance sake. I don't know, maybe it can take also other tubes, would be cool to know that.

And yes, this old fella will see a "doctor" for a checkup soon:)

12. Amit

Amit Member

I was intrigued by the trannys, never saw something like those. from memory, the old Halilit amps looked like marshalls from inside, I at least remember the transformers, but this Farchi had me scratching my head:)

The channels sound very different, channel one is very dark and fat, and channel 2 is bright and spanky but still very musical by its own.

13. Blueser

Blueser Member

I have seen trannies similar to those in old Orange slave amps.