Vintage Marshall Like Crunch Tones ??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Tag, Oct 29, 2005.

1. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Lots of guys are always looking for Marshall like crunch tones. Eric B, if you are reading this, this was kind of for you. In Guitar player magazine, they said the Bruno UG 30 could do "from AC 30 chime, to marshall munch, and everything in between". Well, everyone knows how great the cleans and low gain tones are. I have posted LOTS of clips of it like that as you know. :D Well, it does GREAT Marshall like crunch tones as well. I have owned way to many Marshalls to cound, and the UG 30 can hang right there with my 1972 50 watter. That was my favorite Marshall ever. (Still is!) Here is a one take clip of my Underground 30 with a LesPaul. (58 RI). NO BOXES OF ANY KIND!! STRAIGHT INTO THE AMP. All controls about noon, except the volume and Presence at about 2 O'clock. So much for the UG 30 not having lots of overdrive. :dude The amp ROCKS! I will do some better ones when the neighbors are away. It was LOUD. I think it is actually overdriving TO MUCH for my taste. I can back of the presence to clean it up a little, and add some treble for more bite. The presence knob acta like an extra gain knob on the amp. :eek:
    Top clip here...
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=121826

2. studio8000

studio8000 Member

hey Tag.
    cool clip. and good playing as usual.
    i must say however, that sounded nothing like a marshall to me. i like the UG30. i had 2 of em and they did a great clean tone, and also had a great, but unique crunch tone. but never sounded like a marshall to me. the clip sounded cool and all, but to me it didnt sound like a marshall, or a vox.... IMO.

3. procos

procos Supporting Member

In the Grouse woods or on the golf course
    I agree with that assessment. Great playing and clip but not Marshall to me at all.

Chuck

4. MikeyG

MikeyG Supporting Member

liked the lead tones alot but not the rhythm .....

5. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Check the second clip down at the same link. Its a Marshall that I think sounds VERY similar to the Bruno clip. Its Michael Schenkers vintage one, before he went to JCM 800s.

6. Lerxst2112

Lerxst2112 Member

I like your other Bruno tones a lot more.

7. rwe333

rwe333 Supporting Member

Cool stuff - does indeed sound much like Schenker's tone on the 'Lights Out' record, but that was actually tracked w/ a Pignose (believe it or not).
    Actually - now that I think back - does have some of that 'Obsession' record's "Only You Can Rock Me" Marshall vibe...
    I would love to try a UG30 some time - hear they are killer.

8. riffy

riffy Member

Tag,
    I have to concur with the other guys. NOTHING like a Marshall tone coming out of that amp to me at all.

Gary

9. scottcw

scottcw Low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Sounds nothing like a vintage Marshall.

10. scottcw

The clip of the Marshall sounds nothing like Bruno clip. The Marshall is focused more in the bass/low mids and starts to roll off the upper mids/treble content, typical of vintage Marshalls. The Bruno is totally focused in the upper mids/treble with comparatively little bass.

That is the best that I have ever heard you play.

11. pgurlea

pgurlea Shallow Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

Other that listening to players like Slash, EVH, Angus Young, I do not have a lot of experience with vintage MarshallÂ’s. For my money, a cranked UG30 is not the same but it is in the same tone class.
    Paul

12. studio8000

studio8000 Member

that marshall crunch has that tight bottom end. the bruno's bottom end sounds very loose in comparison. but i think they both sound good, and can be good for different situations. but they dont sound alike to me at all.

13. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

Hey , did sound looser than old Marshalls I've had. However it was a really THICK sound. I had a Tophat Club ROyale II that sounded more like that than my 71 Superleads. I've only owned 2 71 Superleads (still have 1) and played a few other old Marshalls, but the rest of my Marshalls I have are all from 1985 and newer. The Superleads have unbelievably tight bass and they're 100 watters and I'm sure that contributes to the tightness. I don't hear the same thing Scott hears at all , where he says your clips is mostly hi-mids and treble.. Lordy my speakers are way different or my ears are!! I have these Yamaha basic powered monitor speakers I've used since about 1993 or so , and I LOVE them , but I hear a very balanced and thick sound. Less upper-mids than most any metal-front Marshall. Anyway, thanks , and that's wild that that's the same amp that was producing that ultra-chime in the Pink Floyd Fearless clip. ... BTW, I don't know if that was a PIGNOSE for UFO or not, but it didn't sound like an old Marshall to me.. Too much gain and a little Mesa-y sound so I didn't think it was... that's funny that Wayne knew! ERIC

14. scottcw

I am listening through Monsoon powered planar monitors with a powered subwoofer on the floor.

15. ericb

Gotsta be better than these 70.00 deals!!! But to me I listen to everything 'relatively' like in perspective to other things on the net and it sounds balanced to me. I've always loved these and they sound really warm too. But also I don't like to analyze sound. I'm simple. Now, as for the Liverpool clip on the other thread, that's FOR ME!! Except I don't spend money like that on individual items in life! Have a good Sunday

ERIC

16. scottcw

I agree with you on the Liverpool clip - great tone. I don't spend money like that either, but there are bargain basement amps with great tone as you know.

17. aroman

aroman Member

It sounds Marshall like. A Marshall sounds a little more dry and rude to my ears. I always love your playing.
    Michael Schenker RULES !!!.

18. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I owned a UG30, and mine could never get to Marshall crunch. Some great tones, but just not near the level of drive I expected. I won't comment on Tag's clips, just my experience suggest that the UG30 is not the amp to get for Marshall sounds...

19. ericb

Did yours NOT sound like Tag's Crunch clip? IF so , any clue why? Did it sound better, worse, no gain , what? Of course if it sounded WAY different and you had it cranked to the same level , you got 2 choices 1) AMp needed repair or had dead tubes ... more likely repair , as even with dead tubes,preamp or power, you get 'in the vicinity' , or 2 ) the circuitry on the UG30's were totally changed.

I'm not asking if you felt Tag's clips sounded "like a Marshall" as to me Marshall has well over 100 models they've put out , but did yours sound WAY different? Did yours sound like the clean' chimy/jangly' Pink Floyd clip he posted?

ALSO , on a tangent, I 've got my favorite rock sound now with my MOrin Preamp thru the 'frontend' of a JTM45. Holy crap.. it's my perfect sound and I'm on a band hiatus!! In a few months I'll probably get /have another band and that'll be my choice! ERIC

p.s. I've only owned a few amps that were totally clean and then as you crank them they get ultimate crunch /od sounds.. 1971 Superlead... absolutely changed personality cranked. JTM45 RI but mine has been converted to old specs.. WAY different clean or cranked... .Same with an ORange 120 I have... THOUGH when you crank that it's damn loud.. ALL THESE AMPS you need to completely change your settings when cranking them, i.e. subtract bass and crank mids and treble..

20. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

I'm a fellow UG30 devotee owning one myself, and as much as I like the UG30 tone, the Marshall is different. Someone mentioned it's more focused in the mid/low mids and the UG30 is more upper mids got it right... that Marshall has some tone!!! I think you need the right pedal to drive the UG30 so it gets a deeper crunch, then it's getting closer. My 2 cents!