Vintage Marshall sources

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Jerrod, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Jerrod

Jerrod Silver Supporting Member

I'm looking for a good small box 50W Marshall head. Who can point me in the right direction? Any highly recommended sources? Any nightmare dealers to avoid? Comments on Plexi Palace, Tone Heaven and others? If it's negative and you don't want to post publicly, please e-mail me at plexicrunch@hotmail.com. Thanks!

Jerrod

2. redplexi

redplexi Member

Pick up a Copy of Vintage Guitar at your Barns & Noble.

3. humbucking

humbucking Supporting Member

www.marksguitarloft.com Mark usually has some nice plexis come though! he knows his stuff & is very reputable! plexis aint cheap, but he is very competitive & fair in the market.

4. ericb

ericb Silver Supporting Member

I was going to mention this place too to Jerrod, especially since I found him his original Thd Plexi in NH YEARS AGO, but this guys' prices are way too expensive. I tend to 'luck' into deals but this place doesn't really have any 'deals' so to say. BUT the selection appears to be great.. I agree with the guy that says get the Vintage Guitar magazine and go from there... Also go thru GBase and also go thru the Recycler and Wantadvertisers . Meanwhile, I'd say if you're going to spend 3000.00 on an amp , play it before you buy it, or if you like most guys on this forum , take it apart into 8 pieces and take pictures of it before you buy it, (I'm just kidding) PLAY IT

ERIC

5. humbucking

christ, clean smallbox metal panel 50s are about $3000! you are not going to find a deal on a plexi! if you know what to look for, take your chances with ebay. but almost all the straight ones (that are not a scam) pull market prices! there are a lot of lash-ups out there also! in the last month, i have seen 2 1967-68 50 watt plexis from a certain UK dealer(MG) that were fugazi! they are getting quite good at basketcases also! i would have not had any issues with one(almost everything was correct 67 spec) but it had a couple of changed parts(pilot light & resistors) & obviously new solder joints at many connections, yet they maintained it was 100% untouched!! these guys know their stuff! & if they were just a bit honest & said a couple of the parts were replaced, everything would have been fine & the amp would still be worth pretty much what they got for it. no it wasnt me who bought the amp or anything from those crooks, but i have helped a few people spot lash-ups!

6. ericb

I'll have to disagree grasshoppa! There can be plexis for 3000.00 . It's a matter of patience and luck, and being in the right place at the right time. The White Stripes were in the right place at the right time, the bassists from the Cult and ACDC and Judas Priest were in the right place at the right time, I've been in the right place at the right time, as I bought my last 1971 Superlead for 600.00 and my 1962 Brown Deluxe for 200.00 both not that long ago! They're out there.. JUST now that there's the internet the deals are way too few and far between . You're not Mark from that store are you? IF not, you live in NH right? These deals don't happen any more, but I used to go thru your Wantadvertiser book and take daytrips thruout NH and MASS and buy all kinds of deals. They don't exist anymore tho (you're right in that!!) I'm the one who threw the 3000.00 out there btw, and yes they can go as high as 4500.00 now, but that's rediculous. Good luck all (p.s. of course you could search all the grandma's attics around for grandpa's old Plexi too, but that might be a long search!!)

ERIC

7. ericb

With Marcus and Tone Heaven , typically I'm one who would never spread or dispell hearsay but since I've heard 1 negative thing after another, and NEVER heard 1 positive thing, I guess I'll say that.

ERIC

8. John Phillips

John Phillips Member

No, you're right - take it to pieces and check everything. There are many bogus old Marshalls around, some of which even can sound OK... but for the money they're going for now you need to know what you're getting - since for this kind of money, it's becoming well worth faking them.

Same here. As many of you probably know, I've been a professional tech over here in the UK for twenty years now, and in that time I've worked on a couple of hundred old Marshalls probably, so I know what real ones look like. If you have any doubts as to what you're getting, I'd be happy to help - it's possible to spot all but the most perfectly-done fakery even from just a few good pics.

I've already done this for a few TGP members. If anyone does want me to do so, feel free to PM me.

9. humbucking

Hey Ericb, no i am not Mark, but i live about 45 mins from his shop & i have learned quite a bit from him over the years! i'm not saying you cant find a smallbox 50 for under $3000, but the clean ones with bulgin cords & laydown trannys are pulling that much! i just sold my 71 small box 50 this past fall for $2900! it was super clean & sounded the balls & from what i have seen, i probably could have gotten more. clean, orginal plexis are pulling alot more than $4500 too! a couple of months ago at the Dallas guitar show, dealers had prices of $8k on clean 67-68 50 watters! i dont know if they sold & i think those prices are insane, but its all supply & demand, and there aint many clean ones out there anymore! my advice to anyone who is looking to get into their first vintage plexi, is to deal with a straight shooter! if you are not familar with vintage marshalls, it will take you while to learn how to spot orginal & replaced componants! if history shows anything, by the time you learn to spot lash-ups, the prices will have already have gone up. if you find a deal, get as many pics as possible! chassis, trannys, etc... then find someone to help you! the Plexi Palace is a great resource, there are many helpful members there! i have bought most of my stuff from Marks, but i have also bought from Europe. it is a risky deal buying from overseas, but(knock on wood) i have not been burned yet!! i have been looking for some other British amps(VOX, Selmer, Laney) & i have heard good things about Two Tribes & Ampaholics(not to be confused with Toneheaven!!)
    http://www.ampaholics.co.uk/vintage_inventory_pages_now_unde.htm
    http://www.twotribesmusic.co.uk/index.htm

Good Luck! Mike Tamposi

10. Kiwi

Kiwi Silver Supporting Member

You can, may, and probably should look overseas as well. They're not any cheaper in the UK, and the exchange rate is punishing, but you might find what you're after.

If your search does take you to UK dealers, I would also recommend talking to the guys at Two Tribes and Ampaholics. They came well recommended to me by a satisfied customer (and fellow TGP-er).

I appreciated the fact that when I discussed what I was looking for, they were polite and candid in saying they didn't have any pieces at the moment, and didn't know of any at other dealers'. (I think someone less ethical might have put me on hold for a minute while he ordered a "lash-up" from the basement workshop.)

And yeah, Toneheaven UK is, well, not to be confused with either Two Tribes or Ampaholics.

Good luck in the search -

Kiwi

11. humbucking

Hey ericb, how'd you like to double your money on that brown deluxe!;) just kidding, but that is one of the amps i may be going after next!

12. Jerrod

Back at you John. I provided my e-mail. Thanks.

13. ericb

Hey there, that wasn't even a 'grandma's attic' find. It was a Middlebury College professor moving to Africa I believe and liquidating his stuff. Good deal huh! They go for over 1000.00 these days so I know you're kidding. My friend Bill Carruth is the guy who works on Trey Anastasio's Fenders,etc and he liked it a lot . I just him to check it out and put the grounded power cord on it.

I guess the other guys on this thread are still quite a bit different than me, or they read more into JErrod's post. Maybe Jerrod did want to buy this amp for collection -sake or value appreciating sake. If so , nevermind most of my comments as I don't do that. I have 25-30 amps and use them a lot. I LOVE amps. I'll have a music buy/sell business when I retire from my normal day job, but for the past 20 years or so I've done loads of buying and selling. My goal has always been to get something that I can sell for just as much if not more, and use and LOVE whilst using. I've been successful in that respect with almost everything. (meanwhile I've almost completely quit selling for now) I worked for Time Guitars once just for a year and 1/2 but other than that haven't been involved professionally in a music retail or wholesale business except as a weekend barband guitarist. I don't take my amps apart and analyze the pieces, unless I'm trading parts in and out or doing any type of mod. I just love amps that sound great, not what the insides look like. All of my old Marshalls have been 100% reliable , but maybe the 60's ones weren't... I know starting in 71 they sure were!! You guys are right that 60's Plexis are REALLY REALLY HARD to find in STOCK condition ; That's sort of a 'given' I'd say , but I guess if Jerrod needs one in that condition your advice is right on the money!!! Have fun

ERIC

14. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I'd like to know where you got a superlead for 600? and a brown deluxe for 200? You already got the amps so no one is going to rob a piece of gear from you, but you know what? Those deals are so far the exception, right up there with the little old lady with a 54 strat under her bed for 200.

A new reissue plexi 50 watt head is 1679 last time I checked, and having owned one of them for a while, I can tell you that the real deal is easily worth twice that much, in fact you can plug in any boutique Marshall builder, and their prices are probably as much if not more than the real thing. Originality is always a concern, that is the arena you are playing in, and you best know your stuff. If you dont, there is always someone on the net that you can contact to verify what you are getting, or better yet not getting.

As far as Mark is concerned, I have known him since about 1988, what you are paying for is the fact that he can locate, and verify what these amps are, he will also give you a factual description of what they sound like, not some hype, his reputation speaks for itself.
    I have never known him to play anything other than a Les Paul, and a Marshall, that is his thing. And he is good at it. He is not the cheapest, but who is cheaper? Where are the 1500 plexi's, and 1000 dollar cabinets? I dont see them, and I am on the net, and out there in the loop of gear sellers as much as anyone. You know what you get from this guy, and if its too expensive, go to ebay. I have bought from Vic at plexi palace too, great guy, is he cheap? Nope, and he doesnt have as much old gear as he used to.

Are Komets cheap? how bout Germino? Blockhead, Marshall hand wired? None of them are, and none of them are the real deal either. I am happy for all of those guys that have them, they are nice I am sure. I have owned blockhead, and Top Hat, love the sound of the Germino's, but no matter how you cut it, its a clone of sorts, not the real deal.

If Mark were to post here, he wouldnt do it under an alias, he doesnt have to.

15. ericb

Hi there, I got the 1971 Superlead thru an ad in the VT Buyer's Digest from a fellow musician in the Montgomery, VT area. Turns out we had about a dozen musician friends we'd played with together. That was about 3 years ago. I got the Brown Deluxe (1961 I believe, but it's not fresh on my mind. I 'd vfd the date when I got it) from (as I mentioned) a Middlebury College professor thru an ad in Seven Days paper or The Burlington Free Press. This was 1-2 years back) He was asking 175.00 actually, and I gave him 200.00. I also bought a 79 really nice Strat from him for 375.00. They are the exception for sure. I have a houseful of gear.

I bought my 1964 strat (here's the catch !! haha... in 1974) for 200.00 with a case and Gretsch tube amp. I got my 1st 1971 Superlead in 1981 for 300.00 MINT w/ a 4x12 70's cab w/ MINT blackbacks for another 300.00... That's a long time ago!!!

But in the past 10 years I got a brand new Tophat2x12 for 750.00 , an Orange or120 for 600.00 , other incredible Marshalls for under 750.00 , including an absolutely MINT Jtm45 in Bedford NH for 350.00 thru the newspaper, a few GREAT pre's for under 300.00.... They're out there.

Good luck. AND YES, since the internet has caught on for musicians AND collectors in the past 5 years the prices have all risen dramatically!!!!! I've been on the net for guitar-related and studio-related stuff since 1992 , and there used to be GREATTTTTTTTTTTTT deals on here ,just like in the Wantadvertiser, Recycler,etc but nope, now it's just like the Vintage Guitar magazine where everything is either 'market rate' , or a little more or less.. Gotta scour locally these days for the deals and they pretty much have to be people who 've not used the internet! :) btw, the Guitar Gallery YOUR WAY used to have INCREDIBLE deals (before the internet popularity ) and so did the old Daddy's stores,... no more. Carry on

ERIC

16. humbucking

i'm only 29, but i remember when Daddys had cool vintage used gear!! Guitar Gallery was really cool when they were at their old location. they had all sorts of vintage guitars & amps. i missed a 1966 Park 100 watter with the tall(JTM45/100) mains tranny & Bannana knobs for $2500 a couple of months ago!! it was in my town(Nashua) for sale, but i didnt learn about it until someone on one of these forums posted that they just scored it!!!! then he sold it for something like $6k on ebay!! i sure am kicking myself for that one!!

17. Relicula

Relicula Supporting Member

I totally agree with Ericb, its really about who you know,(most times), or a local sale that comes about. Unfortunately, internet hype can drive prices up, and it gets crazier each year. Les Paul jr.s being a perfect example

18. ericb

Yep I'm 45 (I HATE saying that as I'm getting old as hell ) . I still go to hippy-band concerts, alt rock shows, indie-rock , metal ,etc and still play all those styles so I guess I'm not quite cooked yet! lol.. Anyway, when I was 18 -19 in the late 70's Daddy's had 1 store in Manchester. It was just piles and piles of gear.. They had huge selections of 'then' boutique , and vintage/used stuff, and then when they grew so big ,they cut most of the used deals.. If you guys are in NH and don't go to their warehouse sale in Manchester every 2nd week in SEPT, you're missing an amazing show. I go ever year now.. 3 days of wall to wall bargains from 20+ stores.. Dirt cheap. Anyway ,if you do go , you know what I'm saying. I used to LOVE the Salem Daddy's and also the Nashua one wasn't bad. Now they're all not that great to me... AND YEP GUitar Gallery when in Londenderry was great.. I remember in the 90's when BF Deluxe Reverbs were still 700.00 and they had a bunch to choose from . .. Now they're over 2000.00 . UNBELIEVABLE... Anyway, Jerrod the original poster of this thread (I my memory works right ) bought an old THD Plexi from Retroguitar.com in Keene, NH .. I had spotted that one and mentioned it to him. That was way back too............ My other gear /day trips in the 80's-90's used to be to Albany NY when Lark Street was there and 2 Drome Sounds and loads of others. They used to have great deals on used stuff too.. Now Parkway and Lark and all these little places have websites and sell for market rates.. The times have changed for prices for sure.

ERIC

19. Jerrod

This seems like a good idea on the surface. Unfortunately:

• I have less than 100 posts
    • Their rules prohibit people with less than 100 posts from placing "ads"
    • Asking "where is a good place to buy a plexi?" is construed as an ad by at least one of the moderators. He will delete your post, and won't bother telling you why.
    Jerrod

20. sws1

sws1 Member

Good deals can still be had. Ask Greg Germino, who bought my '68 Plexi for a steal given some of the numbers being tossed about here.

Right time, right place, right connections.