Vintage Marshall values

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by reeves amps, Apr 28, 2008.

1. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

I have a few somewhat collectable Marshall pieces, what is the best way to establish a realistic value for a insurance company?

Bill

2. Dr. Tweedbucket

Dr. Tweedbucket Deluxe model available !!!11

Gamma Ray detection station on Mt. Kwakkleberry
    See what the amp blue book lists them at. :)

3. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

1. Blue Book
    2. Talk to a reliable dealer (Plexi Palace leaps to mind)
    3. Check Ebay completed listings
    4. Ask the same question on the Marshall Forums or the Plexi Palace forums.
    5. Ask here with specifics...

4. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

Blue Book tends to over value, and not have a good idea for some of the rarer pieces. Insurance values should be a bit higher than retail sales, so that can be good, but it just might not have the right stuff in it. eBay is a horrible place to try and come up with value. You can get very slanted prices depending on what day of the year it is (and no insurance companies will accept eBay sales as pricing to determine value). Nor will most insurance companies accept online forum opinions of valuation.

The best bet is to get someone from a retail store that has experience in what you have to estimate the value for insurance purposes. If it is a valuable collection, it will be worth it (shouldn't be too expensive). And if anything ever happened, you would have an accurate documentation to what you have. Make sure to included pictures and serial numbers.

5. reeves amps

reeves amps Member

I've tried Ebay a few times over the course of several months but I haven't been able to find any completed auctions for these models.

Any recommendations on a experienced vintage Marshall dealer?

Thanks for your help.

Bill

6. soldano16

soldano16 Member

Since Plexi Palace seems to be the best known vintage Marshall dealer, I'd arrange for written appraisals based on good photos. Obviously they would charge but that's what insurance is all about.

If you are really concerned get a 2nd appraisal. Make sure your policy covers the amps. Are you covering them as personal or professional? That can be a tricky area.

7. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Yep thats whay my insurance co. wanted-a written appraisal. Since the items I have arent that expensive I didnt follow through. Mine are only insured for what I paid for them but its better than nothing and relatively cheap. They also want more money if the equipment is used outside the home(or something like that) Its a PITA but at least if they are stolen from the house or I drop a guitar its covered. Bob