Vintage Muff flavour - Ram's head or Triangle?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by SR-OZ, Dec 19, 2009.

1. SR-OZ

SR-OZ Member

honest I don't really another distortion pedal as I'm pretty full, anyway I have a friend who may copy an old muff circuit for me, a Triangle or Ram's head. Which one would I choose?
    I guess they must both have vintage flavour... I'd use it on a clean amp with humbucker pickups. i need it for nice lead tones and rich sustain...

bear in mind i never liked NYC Muff reissue's wall of sound, i'd like to find something more transparent if possible...cheers.

2. Angle Loss

Angle Loss Supporting Member

There will be nothing transparent about any issue of the Big Muff. However, you may find either of those circuits to have a cooler vibe than a reissue for you. You might want to steer toward the triangle as the two of the three Ram's Heads that I've had have been very "distortiony" rather than fuzzy, in comparison to the other vintage muffs I've had.

3. DougDoppler

DougDoppler Member

I have a Triangle that I bought in 1979. It's sounded AMAZING ever since. They do vary - a lot from box to box, so we'll presume that the your guy will know how to tweak the build to make it sound best...

4. SR-OZ

SR-OZ Member

Do they vary much, tonally speaking? much difference in gain?

5. MotorCityMatamp

MotorCityMatamp Member

yep, the ram's head has more distortion then the triangle muff, fwiw make sure your friends use's ceramic caps in the muff build, that's were all the mojo is....:rockin

6. mattpas

mattpas Silver Supporting Member

Have him use the layered ceramic caps because, overtime, the disc caps can go microphonic.

7. michael patrick

michael patrick Supporting Member

Yeah, if you want transparent a Muff ain't what you are looking for...

8. SR-OZ

SR-OZ Member

thanks for the replies. Even thought I like fuzzes and their singing sustain (in spite of not being transparent) my only experience with muffs is NYC reissue and it disappointed me quite much.

one more question on ram's head and trinagle...do they clean up with guitar volume a bit? at least, better than the NYC reissue?

I'll have my friend to follow your suggestions, thanks