vintage/new ribbon mics on guitar cabs

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by BurstWurst, Aug 11, 2008.

1. BurstWurst

BurstWurst Member

I like ribbons on Guitar cabinets. So, long ago, I copped an RCA 44BX and a 77D ribbon mics. I'm pretty proud of those mics. But, I wonder if I'm missing something in the Royers of which I own none. For those who are familiar with both, do the Royers offer anything the old RCAs don't already have in spades?

Rink

2. aeonlux

aeonlux Member

Yea. Their own sound.

But for less coin, you also might also appreciate the sound of a Beyer M160. A guitar cab classic!

cheers,
    Ian

3. BluesForDan

BluesForDan Member

I've been drooling over Royers for many years now. Hard to justify getting, since ... well, since I'm a hack. There. I said it. I'm barely worthy of an SM57.:Spank

But since when has that stopped any of us, now? :roll Be honest.:D:Devil

I'm intereted in the Shinybox ribbons. Seem to have gotten a favorable buzz, and the prices are attractive to a hack like me. Anybody here try any yet?

http://www.shinybox.com/ribbons.php?osCsid=147f6e4e1bd89673111ac8f74de4ba04

4. shawntp

shawntp Member

Since the Royers became so popular there are a couple other kids on the block in the under $1K range that are magic too. I picked up the Crowley & Tripp Naked eye for use on electric and voice (its a dual voiced ribbon). Under $800 new. I also was looking at the AEA R92. I think in my research which I can bearly remember these had a little more to offer in versatility over the Royer while being at a better price point. Royer is a killer cab mic though.

I think that ive read the newer ribbons are getting more robust (i.e. less delicate), quitter and efficient in general. I know Crowley & Tripp has a bunch of new technology/materials that wont damage easily.

Ive gone all ribbon for my modest home hobby studio (95% electric & voice)

5. Rumblefish

Rumblefish Silver Supporting Member

The Cascade Fathead is designed specifically for guitar cabs and I think it's wonderful.

6. elambo

elambo Member

You SHOULD be proud!

But not all ribbon mics are the same. I wouldn't have the balls to put an RCA 44 in front of a screaming cab, but I'm happy to put a Royer there, and it always sounds great. Natural. Realistic.

Try a Royer! Don't like it - send it back. Easy.