Vintage NICHOLLS tube amp, made in England 1967, HELP!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by YOGA64, Dec 27, 2009.

1. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

[​IMG]

Does any body know ANYTHING about these amps? :dunno

They are supposed to have been made in England in the late'60, sort of a cross between a Marshall (1st channel) and a Hiwatt (2nd channel).
    This 100 watt, 4 EL34, is supposed to be from 1967.

2. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

I don't have any info, but it looks really cool. Any chance of some gut shots?

3. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

Not really, unless I buy the amp..............
    The owner says it's all point to point, and it was made by a few people who went on to work for Hiwatt.
    4 EL34, 5ECC83, all Mullards nos.
    vol1, vol2, bass, middle, treble, presence.
    Near mint conditions.
    LOUD
    The owner is asking 1000 euros,
    but living far away I wouldn't be able to try it out, but I am a bit tempted........

4. infiniteposse

infiniteposse Member

I would recommend asking over at the PlexiPalace. Those guys know a lot about obscure amps. Please do post more info if you find anything or if you buy it. Good luck.

5. Kenneth Nicholls

Kenneth Nicholls Member

Hi im Kenneth Nicholls i had a music shop in Leyton East London called "The Musicman" i opened a workshop at the top of the shop and later at the back,The concept of Nicholls Amps started because as a lead Guitarist with my own band K N star movement i found that most amps that i used could not give me a full tonel range. Plenty of Amps i found gave lots of treble and middle but lacked in depth, and internaly were made using cheap components and poor layout. The Nicholls Amp like most Amps used the mullard 1010 push pull Amplifier Principle, however the Nicholls Amp is in no way a copy of any other Amp. We used all high stability components which are used in HiFi equipment, our chassis layout was designed to reduce as much heat as possible when running, we designed the mixing side of the amplifier to give a full tonal range! similar to my much admired Amps designed by Fender of America. The Amps were used and Praised by "The BBC" on the low ratio of noise/hum. Nicholls Amps had a Number 1 hit by a group called "Greyhound" who had a FULL range of Nicholls Amps and recorded a Reggae verson of "Moon River" hope this helps enquieries Any Questions i would be Happy to Answer if i can.

many thanks
    K Nicholls .

scott hatahway, JosephCurwen and 12db like this.
  6. Cado

Cado Member

To read a question about an old piece of gear & see a reponse from the man responsible is indeed a great thing. Would you happen to know of any Rock recodings that use your amp?

7. dunara

dunara Member

That reply from Mr Nicholls must be one of the coolest things I've read on TGP....

8. Psh511

Psh511 Member

+1...great info

9. clemduolian

clemduolian Silver Supporting Member

Dang...I knew TGP had some mojo, but this thread just moved it into the "holy shizzle" zone. Seems like someone ought to buy that amp, eh?!

10. vgcoop

vgcoop Member

Hi Mr Nicholls!!

I own one of your amp tops a 60 watt valve in black tolex with gold pinstriping, I have been looking for a very long time for some information regarding these amps. The only other example that I have seen was a matching amp top and 4 x 12 cabinet in a light grey tolex (i think) in Holiday Music in Leytonstone (now many years ago)
    By the way your amp hasn't travelled that far as I am still in the Woodford area, it would be great if you have some further information.
    Cheers
    V Cooper

11. YOGA64

YOGA64 Member

Wow, just AMAZING........:agree

12. more_coffee

more_coffee Member

13. Wogieten

Wogieten Member

I don't usually join these forums because I don't normally have much to contribute, but seeing a response from Kenny Nicholls about his amps is an event worth commenting on.

My formative (adolescent) years as a musician were generally spent hanging around music shops. Mostly I hung around Kenny's shop in Leyton and probably drove him to distraction on account of the fact that I never had any money to spend but just loved being around guitars and amps. This would be late 1960's.

Kenny was a very kind soul and realising that I was somewhat financially challenged, offered me a job building the boards that went into his amps. Actually it was an act of desperation on his part as there was no other way I was ever going to have the money to buy something!

His amp tech, Barry, taught me to solder properly using the decibel technique! So I learned some very imaginative expletives as well as basic electronics and soon discovered that soldering a dry joint or not making a properly supported mechanical joint before soldering really hurt the eardrums. Barry would have made an excellent Regimental Sergeant Major! Certainly he was an excellent technician who would never accept substandard work. Those amps were built to very high standards. I know, I still have the tinnitus to prove it and I make my own valve amps these days.

So, if you're lucky enough to find a Nicholls valve amp, don't hesitate, buy it. You'll be buying a little bit of British amp history (and possibly mine too!). Were they better than a Marshall? Well yes, I rather think they were but I'm probably just a little bit biased!

God bless you Kenny,
    Chris.

14. twinrider1

twinrider1 Member

15. Spongebob

Spongebob Member

Hello Ken

Do you remember me - Barry Crane, used to manage Freedmans in Leytonstone?

Only just picked up on this thread and it bought back some good memories. Do you know what happened to Neil Taylor? Can still remember him soldering up amp chassis in your workshop. He used to do repairs for Freedman's also, being such a big "bear" of a man, if we had any complaints about his repairs, we would send him to meet the customer, once thay saw the size of him they quickly lost any agression :eeks

Great times.

Cheers

Barry

16. Lost_Cause

Lost_Cause Member

:agree

17. bazza100

bazza100 Member

At the risk of this becoming the"Nicholl's Amps Reunion Forum", hi, Ken, I'm Barry Farmer, worked for you upstairs for a while - glad to see you're still around. Don't have the Hoyer any more - but I know where it is!
    For anyone interested in buying a second-hand Nicholls, I'd say go right ahead - the caps and the valves etc are still readilly available and the great thing about Ken's amps was that the transformers are all about 50% bigger (and heavier) than what went into Marshall's (which means twice the size of a Fender). As someone in there said, the basic design is Mullard and should be a doddle for anyone used to valve (tube) circuits to fix.
    Good to see the note from Barry at Freedmans too. Spent many a Saturday morning browsing on Leytonstone High road.
    Cheers all,
    Bazza

18. Tantec

Tantec Member

Hi Ken do you have any circuit diagrams for the 60 watt amp you made so many years ago.I need to rebuild this one and it has had some mods fitted in the past. QUOTE=Kenneth Nicholls;7533480]Hi im Kenneth Nicholls i had a music shop in Leyton East London called "The Musicman" i opened a workshop at the top of the shop and later at the back,The concept of Nicholls Amps started because as a lead Guitarist with my own band K N star movement i found that most amps that i used could not give me a full tonel range. Plenty of Amps i found gave lots of treble and middle but lacked in depth, and internaly were made using cheap components and poor layout. The Nicholls Amp like most Amps used the mullard 1010 push pull Amplifier Principle, however the Nicholls Amp is in no way a copy of any other Amp. We used all high stability components which are used in HiFi equipment, our chassis layout was designed to reduce as much heat as possible when running, we designed the mixing side of the amplifier to give a full tonal range! similar to my much admired Amps designed by Fender of America. The Amps were used and Praised by "The BBC" on the low ratio of noise/hum. Nicholls Amps had a Number 1 hit by a group called "Greyhound" who had a FULL range of Nicholls Amps and recorded a Reggae verson of "Moon River" hope this helps enquieries Any Questions i would be Happy to Answer if i can.

many thanks
    K Nicholls .[/QUOTE]

19. Tantec

Tantec Member

Hi I am new to this forum and I think I typed the message in the wrong place.
    Is it possible to obtain a circuit diagrams for the Nicholls 60 watt valve amp.
    many thanks
    Trevor Nichols.

20. Oatie

Oatie Member

Amazing thread, ken I have heard of your amps before, I collect the old England amps as well. I would love to see detailed chassis pics.