Vintage noiseless anyone?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Whiskeyroad, Aug 1, 2006.

1. Whiskeyroad

Whiskeyroad Member

I have played through Lace Sensors for years now, I just purchased a set of fender vintage noiseless pups and cant get to my amp as of yet to stretch their legs. I know their hotter, how about 60 cycle hum? I am afraid there not going to be exactly "noiseless" from what I have heard.

2. Great King Rat

Great King Rat Member

They are very quite. Secret with these guys is to set them a tad lower than what Fender recommends.

3. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

to me, they have never really sounded just like a strat pickup....

i think a strat sounds like a strat partly because of all its quirks....ie 60 cycle hum....

4. lcjc800

lcjc800 Member

Someday, try matching them with a "HOT" noiseless in the bridge. Pure thunder, but a little deeper route maybe necessary.:dude

5. Coach

Coach Senior Member

noiseless and vintage don't go together

6. jezzzz2003

jezzzz2003 Member

I prefer the newer SCN Samarium Cobalt Noiseless.
    They sound pretty darn good to my ears.

7. Lund

Lund Member

Noise = Vintage:) so how can there be noiseless vintage:)

Ive also had Lace Sensors... and while they where ok, they never sounded anything like a set of traditional strat pickups.

Nor did the stacked Seymour Duncan singlecoil/humbucker i had at one time.

But... perhaps technology is getting better, the thing is... look at clapton.. he is using noiseless fender pickups now... he used lace before, and to me he has not sounded "right" since the days he used a normal strat pickup. But that could be the boost system he is using, hard to say.

A noiseless vintage sounding pickup would be nice, but i dont find the noise that irritating.

Michael

8. tolstoy

tolstoy Member

I think with Clapton it really is the huge amount of mid boost he uses at times. I do think he sounded best back in the days of old blackie.....but I think it has more to do with the mid boost then the pickups themselves. There are times that I still really love his tone, but it's the stratier moments when he doesn't roll that mid boost all the way up. It too wooly and muffled sounding to me. Tring to recreate the tone he had with the Les Paul/SG with a strat and I don't think it always works. I love Clapton by the way, so this isn't a complete knock on him, I just wish he'd stick to a more traditional strat sound.

Tolstoy

9. Lund

Lund Member

well i agree... its probably the boost that does it. I also like his sound in certain passages... but a lot of the time i dont.

I love Clapton too... i grew up on that stuff, listening to his old blues stuff, and 70 and 80´s records.

What i would really like from Clapton would be a much smaller and different band... he´s getting burried in all these (great) musicians, that are overpowering the whole thing.

What i would like would be to see him play in a trio og 4 piece band... and to be a bit more ruff around the edges, the songs are good, but its all getting to arranged and polished.

Anyway... back to the pickups:)

Michael

10. Joe Perry

Joe Perry Member

They do if you have Suhr's SSC or backplate system. But back to the topic......

I wasn't a big fan of Fender's noiseless p/u's but they do sound a little better set low. You might want to check out Lace's Holy Grails. I had them & liked them a lot. The new Dimarzio's (area 58 & 61) are getting good reviews. I'm going to try a set in one of my strats soon.

11. gtrguy17

gtrguy17 Member

Man, Joe, really? You like the HGs? I put a set in years ago and took them out the same day. I have never even run into anyone else who has used them. Maybe I'll have to check them out again. (I still have 'em, as nobody would buy them from me!)
    I got some Bardens and stuck with them. My best sounding strat...

12. david henman

david henman Member

...amen to that!

but, if you're determined to buy noiseless single coils, go with lace holy grails, dimarzio area series or kinman traditional mk IIs.

-dh