Vintage Noiseless pups sound a bit dark

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by slookx24, Aug 25, 2006.

1. slookx24

slookx24 Member

Hi all,

I've got a Clapton Strat with the Vintage Noiseless pups and they sound a bit dark to me. I had another Clapton Strat with the Lace Sensor pups before and they sounded more glassy and clear (but a bit sterile for my liking).

The VN pups are really bassy and it seems like they lack treble, especially when I roll the volume down a little bit. I know the guitar's midboost brings out the mids a lot and darkens the tone a bit, but even with the midboost rolled down or off, it still sounds pretty warm. Any ideas?

2. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Noiseless pickups never have all the Glass, quack, chime that traditional single coils have. You will have to put up with some sort of tonal compromise. The Vintage Noiseless pups were among the worst I heard...Kinman or Dimarzio Areas seem to be closest to the strat attack and sound.

3. lbw

lbw Member

Get some Lindy Fralin Vintage Hots. Nothing has sounded better in my Clapton.

4. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Lower the low E side of the p/u where the p/u cover is level with the top of the adjustment screw and keep the high E side higher. This and maybe just a wee tiny bit of extra treble on your amp should do the trick. Got a coupla strats with the same p/u's and have no problem getting that strat sound.

5. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

And the more you turn up the boost, the more you'll need to turn up the tone. Strangely, using a boost pedal with your already boosted guitar will really tighten up the sound, as most pedals like that have a good bit of natural compression. A compressor works well too. I get great tone out of my Clapton Strat by using all of the above. AC

6. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Got to finally demo a Clapton strat (reg production, not a CS) and even with a brief in-store spin it made a great impression on me. Damn you Fender:)

7. slookx24

slookx24 Member

Depressed at the last fret, the bass side of the pickup measures 4/32" from the bottom of the 6th string to the top of the pole piece and the treble side measures 3/32" from the bottom of the 1st string to the top of the pole piece.

8. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Toss the ruler and just go with your ear cuz you'll drive yourself nuts measuring and you just might miss 'that' spot by thinking it has to be within a certain distance.

9. peachead1071

peachead1071 Member

I'm a pretty big fan of the Samarium Cobalt noiseless. The vintage noiseless don't do it for me

10. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

1) Check the Value of the Pot's. I reccomend at least 250k - but 500k are better for noiseless Pup's.
    2) Replace the Ceramic Disc Capacitor with a high Quality .047 Hovland Musicap or Jensen Angela Paper oil cap. This will ad a Dramatic improvement in Clarity and usable Tone control. The ceramic cap's bleed treble off and make Guitars sound dull.
    3) Pickup height. - Lower the Bass side of the Pickups.
    4) Replace strings - Noithing sounds nicer than brand new strings on a guitar!!!!!

11. TestierWheat

TestierWheat Member

IMO Fender's Vintage Noiseless pickups don't nail the strat tone. In fact, if we're talking Fender pickups, I think almost all of Fender's non-Noisless pickups sound better than the Vintage Noisless. I must add that noise has never bothered me and I'd much prefer noise over tone loss.

12. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Yes, its official, Fender's Vintage Noiseless pickups have the worst reputation ever.....

13. Rob DiStefano

Rob DiStefano Member

I've yet to hear noiseless "single coil" pups sound like true single coil pups. Some of the better ones do come close, but no cigar - they are, after all, what they are ... humbuckers.

14. suttree

suttree Member

i have them in my tele, and i get tons of compliments on my tone. i had debated changing them, but as the old saying goes, "if it ain't broke..."

15. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

That saying went out the window when I replaced my SCN pups with 2 Suhrs and a SD JB humbucker. :) NOW I truly have authentic, vintage strat tone. :dude

16. michaelprice83

michaelprice83 Member

Well, do you really think if your guitar was A-B tested with some really nice hand wound single coils and there were real musicians present to comment on your tones, that the Vintage Noiseless would stand a chance?

17. mybusinessmy

mybusinessmy Member

Yes, that is an excellent point. Compare Vintage Noiseless pickups against Lollars, Suhrs or Fralins, and the tone contest will definitely be over. I'm sure some guys get compliments on their Dimarzio VV's, but in the end, they sound like toys compared to the real thing.

18. slookx24

slookx24 Member

I don't mean to be rude, but I really didn't ask for opinions on which pickups are better than which or who makes the best Strat pickups. The Vintage Noiseless pups are good for me WHEN I am able to set them up properly. I know this because I have played other Clapton Strats with the same pickups and was pretty impressed.

I started this thread because I needed advice on a certain product. I'm not in the market shopping for other pickups or else I would've stated that and asked for recommendations. Sorry. Now if I could please get some real help.

19. dharmafool

dharmafool Member

It seems 1RadicalRon has offered some real help (and I quote):

1) Check the Value of the Pots. I reccommend at least 250k - but 500k are better for noiseless Pups.

2) Replace the Ceramic Disc Capacitor with a high Quality .047 Hovland Musicap or Jensen Angela Paper oil cap. This will ad a Dramatic improvement in Clarity and usable Tone control. The ceramic cap's bleed treble off and make Guitars sound dull.

3) Pickup height. - Lower the Bass side of the Pickups.

4) Replace strings - Nothing sounds nicer than brand new strings on a guitar!!!!!

I point this out as someone who happily plays an Am Dlx Strat with Vintage Noiseless pickups and Clapton-model features such as blocked trem and onboard preamp.

I'm sure that all the handmade pickups mentioned in this thread produce marvellous tones, but ntannarong likes his existing pickups and wants some help tweaking their setup.

One thing I like about VNs is that they are very uncool around here. :rolleyes:

[​IMG]

20. Jack The Riffer

Jack The Riffer Member

Hey! I helped too!!:BITCH :)

Lower the low E side of the p/u where the p/u cover is level with the top of the adjustment screw and keep the high E side higher. This and maybe just a wee tiny bit of extra treble on your amp should do the trick. Got a coupla strats with the same p/u's and have no problem getting that strat sound.