• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Vintage (non-relic) T style: Suhr vs Grosh vs Dano vs K-line vs Rutters vs Kirn?

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
As best I can tell having played most of these, all make wonderful vintage style T themed guitars. I'm in the market for one. Relic finish is not relevant to my inquiry.

If there's a reason you think one or two of these stand out, please share.

Benz2112

Memba?
Gold Supporting Member
If you were going Grosh, are we talking an RC or an NOS? I think the RC stands out because of the really nice ergonomics. Otherwise, I think it comes down to the specs you want, whether one that fits your needs is available, or if not, what the lead time will be on having one built. Also in before others drop in their other favorite builders of choice (i.e. Carson Hess, Charles Whitfill, etc, etc etc). Good luck on your search, I went bargain hunting on a 60's style tele recently, and wound up with an Edwards, changed the electronics out, and wound up with something just a little off the beaten path. I know how that classic tele GAS can hit.

cugel

Silver Supporting Member
Kirn resale is low imho and I am an owner. Great guitar though

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
I say we stick'em all in a cage match and let'em settle it once and for all!

Seriously, I've played them all but Ritter and Kirn.

No way to go wrong.

iamdavea

Gold Supporting Member
Here's a partial answer. I bought a beautiful Rutters Strat neck (off Reverb) for a parts build, and it was absolutely dead tonally. Dark and lifeless. The Warmoth neck I replaced it with was a massive improvement.

wrxplayer

Silver Supporting Member
K-Line has a nice french polish on the neck and great in-house-made pickups. Also the neck shapes and overall quality is top notch.
I was talking to someone here who is knowledgeable about Lentz. He said K-Line was "killing it" as far as Teles.
@Teleplayer

Do you know if there are any differences in quality or style when looking at K-Line guitars from different years?

Quintus

Silver Supporting Member
I own a Suhr Classic T that’s really incredible. With Suhr you can order whatever specs you want at different price points, to include neck profile, stainless frets, roasted woods, etc., including vintage-inspired pickups. I also own two Grosh guitars, though not one of their teles. As others have said, a ton of great builders out there to choose from. Asher is another great choice.

Teleplayer

Moder8er
Staff member
@Teleplayer

Do you know if there are any differences in quality or style when looking at K-Line guitars from different years?
Yes. But you are likely best reaching out to @K-Line and letting Chris address this. He’s obviously the best source for any/all info relative to his builds.

Interestingly, one of the four best Strats I’ve ever played was a K-Line back in 2008 …. this was before Chris brought everything in-house.

The two K-Line T-types I took delivery of this year are spectacular instruments. And both are totally Chris’s creations/builds from the ground up.

Fantastic necks, finishes, neck finishes, overall resonance, etc. And Chris’s K-Line T pickups, that he winds in-house, are simply KILLER.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
As best I can tell having played most of these, all make wonderful vintage style T themed guitars. I'm in the market for one. Relic finish is not relevant to my inquiry.

If there's a reason you think one or two of these stand out, please share.
Of those I’d go Suhr or KLine
another to include in your search is RS Guitarworks

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Someone brought up Asher, phenomenal guitars especially if you’re not locked into the traditional T body

mlkIII

Silver Supporting Member
I’ve owned a ton of Teles. Rutters is great but harder to find used. Grosh is fantastic as well but I’ve only ever played their NOS Retro S. My favorite though is Suhr. I think the SSC system is really killer and maintains a vintage tone. Has modern playability improvements and I especially dig the roasted necks when gigging as they’re more stable.

I’ve never played a Kirn but I do think the bang for your buck on a used one is hard to beat. I’ve played plenty of Danos and never been blown away to justify the massive price. I currently have a Bonneville Custom Guitars T I got from Carter Vintage. 60s style in a pale green color and black guard. Strat neck pickup and a big soft V neck. I really love it and the bang for your bucks on a used one is unbeatable IMO.

Presc

@Teleplayer

There was a shift at some point when Chris brought the production of necks in-house...perhaps around 2010 or so. Distinction should be clear based on headstock shape. Since then, observing from afar, it seems like there have been subtle evolutions...bringing the pickups in house, offering the French Polish neck finish. If anything I'd guess he's only upped his game versus my 2012 Truxton build, but if that guitar is any indication, I wouldn't worry too much about new versus old!

Trending Topics

Top Bottom