Vintage output Firebird pickups

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by EL 34 X2, Feb 5, 2015.

1. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Member

I've had a '91 Gibson Firebird for 20 years and always thought the pickups sounded fine. Lately I've been bothered that they don't sound as nice as the '64 Firebird pickup I have in the neck of one of my Telecasters. Think it's time for a switch to a more vintage sounding, lower output Firebird set.

I'm of the mind that there really isn't an overall "best." But just what might work best for me personally. I may upgrade the electronics, as well. So what's been you Firebird guy's experience with more vintage sounding Firebird sets? There are so many out there that are probably equally good, but a bit different. What say you?

2. 12strings

12strings Member

Lollars sound great and are vintage style construction. Also, if the Klein firebirds are as good as his tele pickups, they are a great choice.

3. AndreasG

AndreasG Member

Had Seymour Antiquities in my '90 FB V and they sounded very close to my '64 FB III. They are a bit smaller than the reissue pups so put some foam under them in order to prevent microphonics...

4. TB72

TB72 Member

Really dig the Lollars I put in my bird. (Mine is a 2010)

As far as comparisons, I've only played one '60s Firebird, and that was long before I owned my current one (so I'm only able to go from memory). The Lollars are certainly more vintage voiced than the modern Gibson versions. It was a night and day difference for me.

5. Larry Mal

Larry Mal Member

I had David at Zhangbucker make my Firebird pickups. I'm very happy with them. There are a lot of choices out there at the moment, since Gibson seems to have no interest in making an actual Firebird pickup voiced in the vintage style at the moment.

6. treedroppings

treedroppings Member

^he wound me a decent set as well.

7. neville5000

neville5000 Supporting Member

I have Lollars in a Tele and I absolutely love them. I have heard excellent things about the Kleins as well.

8. EL 34 X2

EL 34 X2 Member

Considered Klein, Duncan, and Lollar. Taking into account features, sound, and price I decided to go with an A5 Zhangbucker set. I appreciate the help guys. Hope I made a good choice.

9. SnidelyWhiplash

SnidelyWhiplash Supporting Member

SD Antiquities. I have a set & they sound amazing!