Vintage pedals

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by yucatown, Dec 4, 2017.

1. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Why the heck not. Some of these pedals can be considered instruments, and some of them are quite rare. All analog, "they don't make them like they used to" goodness.

I have a few.

1) 1982 TS9. I must say I never quite understood TS9s, until I watched Pete Thorn's video on how to use them. Now I love mine. Straight into a sizzling Marshall plexi, it sounds so good.

2) Triangle Big Muff. This one's in mint condition. It sounds like no other muff versions. More like a very good distortion that can cut well through the mix. I like it best not maxed, but dialed in as needed by the guitar and amp, which must be slightly cooking.

3) Tycobrahe Octavia. Never have been a big fan of octave fuzzes, but this one kills. The beauty of it is in using it at low fuzz levels and just letting the octaves do their dissonant thing. I can get some very a-musical, yet catchy sounds by playing multiple strings and finding the right balance between fuzz and octaves. Super cool pedal.

4) Univibe. Nothing beats the sound of an original univibe. I've owned a ton of clones and variants, and this one kills them all. It's just so warm and organic.

5) Roland RE301. I've had this unit for ten years, which makes it the "pedal" I've owned the longest. It's really tough to beat the sounds of a warm tape delay.

6) Echorec PE603T. This is an entirely different animal. More chaotic and unpredictable than the RE301, yet so rich and huge sounding. I've had many people tell me they've never heard anything like the sounds out of this unit. Truly mesmerizing.

7) 1966 Fuzz Face. An original fuzz face that has mellowed out over the years (or maybe it was all along like this). Original NKT275 transistors produce lovely warm fuzz tones that never sound obnoxious or over the top.

8) Synthi Hi Fli. All original unit with large nylon white dual foot pedals. All I can say is that this thing was light years ahead of its time, and its sounds today are as incredible as the day it was released.

Pics later. Let's hear what you got!

nichd, Shiny_Beast, beanbass and 5 others like this.
  2. kev

kev Member

bonus: vintage goodness on my really cheap re-purpose for a pedalboard that I used back in the early 90's

right to left (follow the signal path...haha):
    '80's vintage kitchen sink cutout scrap for pedalboard (true bypass/oxygen free laminate!)
    early 90's Crybaby
    197x Maestro Fuzz (with cheater In/Out layout on masking tape) - as huge as the housing on these Norlin era pedals is, I still love the freedom to adjust on the fly
    ?90's? L.A. Metal (free find that sounded like crap, but was fun to kick on anyway)

[​IMG]

3. dcbc

dcbc Member

I have a Maestro MP1 Phaser, a Grey Ross Compressor, and a 1983 TS9. They each sound great.

DBBlues likes this.
  4. Totally Bored

Totally Bored Member

King Vox Wah from the 70's
    Maestro Phaser
    Ibanez OD855 Overdrive II
    Boss MIJ DD3
    Boss MIJ SD-1
    70's MXR Distortion

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    DBBlues likes this.
  5. ripgtr

ripgtr Member

I have a Fender volume/tone, which is probably from the 60s,but it needs some work. Pots maybe, string for sure. I keep meaning to get to it, but I don't really play all that much non pedal steel at the moment, which is what I got it for. So back burner. But one of these days.

Not really vintage, but have a mid eighties Tube King, the one Ibanez made that says Butler inside.
    I have two MXR block logo compressors, early 80s. One I got used in like 83.
    I had an MXR distortion + in the 70s but that is long gone.

DBBlues likes this.
  6. Kidcotton

Kidcotton Member

Pretty old BF-2. Silver screw - one of the earliest.

[​IMG]IMG_1625 by Steven A, on Flickr

7. Tootone

Tootone Member

Guyatone PS-023 circa 1982
    Boss BF2 Feb 1981
    Boss BF1 circa 1979-80 (SAD1024 BBD)

Side note....

Behringer/VisualSounds/Coolaudio went to the trouble of putting the "jack of all trades" MN3207 BBD back into production. That's good.

But they missed the mark. It's the SAD1024 that has the classic rare as rocking horse poo flanger sounds.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
  8. kev

kev Member

^^^I'm suddenly hearing a lot of 80's songs from the last two posts...this is a good thing

DBBlues likes this.
  9. telelion

telelion Member

I have a 60's Mosrite Fuzzrite. Other than that I have a Boss DD2.

Tonekat and DBBlues like this.
  10. vr6pilot

vr6pilot Member

[​IMG]

Left out the Big Pig FX70P, not old enough.

DBBlues likes this.
  11. sbrollins76

sbrollins76 Member

I like buying MIJ Boss pedals when they pop up in my local shops. I've currently got:

DM-2
    DSD-2
    OD-1
    PH-1r
    PH-2
    BF-2
    CE-2

Mobass and DBBlues like this.
  12. datguytim

datguytim Supporting Member

Ibanez AD-80 Analog Delay - the little pink TS-808 style 2 9V one - best sounding slapback ever. Great compact "Echoplex" with a 18V adaptor.
    60's Jen Italian Wah - the sweetest sounding wah I'v ever played or heard in person. The 'booteek' ones don't come close.

DBBlues likes this.
  13. Codyyy

Codyyy Member

The only oddball I have is a Vox Stereo Fuzz Wah. I still have yet to have it fixed up but it works half the time. I usually just use it for fuzz. It brings too much funk when the Wah is going for me.

DBBlues likes this.
  14. Pinstripe

Pinstripe Member

'66 Tonebender Mk 1.5
    '65 Rangemaster
    '65 Hornby Skewes Zonk Machine Mk.1
    '65 Hornby Skewes Treble Booster
    '67 Fuzz Face
    '80 TS-808 (x2)
    '73 MXR Phase 90 (x3)
    '68 Univibe
    ? Tychobrae Octavia
    ? MXR Dynacomp (x2).

Rarely, if ever, use any of them......but have had them for a long, long time. Phase 90 gets a run occasionally, great pedal when set low.

beanbass, Mobass, splatt and 2 others like this.
  15. WordMan

WordMan Member

I have a first-gen Proco Rat. Got it for $20 from a guy back in the day who was always swapping pedals.

ETA: hmm, just checked Reverb, something I haven't done for Rats. There is one listed for over $600!

Oh, and an MXR Phase 90, but block logo, not script - earliest block logo though; that thing is old.

rock_dads_shred and DBBlues like this.
  16. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

My old, trusty, A/DA Flanger since 79'.
    [​IMG]

beanbass, Bobby D and DBBlues like this.
  17. simonm

simonm Member

[​IMG]

major fuzz fiend here, mostly vintage in front/ diy in the back - 2015 shot

18. cjp54

cjp54 Member

I still have my 1976 Tycobrahe Pedal Flanger that I've had for a long time. Sounds great. I've always wanted a Mutron II Phaser. Love how they sound.

beanbass and DBBlues like this.
  19. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

60’s Cry Baby Wah (Made in Italy)
    ‘69/‘70 Vox King Wah
    Dan Armstrong Orange Squeezer
    ‘74 MXR Dyna Comp
    Boss “MIJ” CE-3 Chorus
    Mutron Bi-Phase
    80’s Klon Centaur Long Tail
    ‘80’s Pro Co Rat
    80’s DOD Phaser

DBBlues likes this.
  20. stratjim

stratjim Member

i have in my closet my Morley Power Boost/Wah from the 70's. loved this pedal and was all i used (along with a DOD 10 band eq) when i was gigging a lot in the 70's and 80's. tried unsuccessfully to restore back to it's original glory but alas it's resigned to the closet.

DBBlues likes this.