Vintage pedals

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by yucatown, Dec 4, 2017.

1. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

Pic of my Hi Fli

Matt Rain, lamf, krz4fx and 10 others like this.
  2. MKB

MKB Silver Supporting Member

I was fortunate in that back in the 80s\90s rack craze, I made it a point to buy or otherwise obtain every broken or working vintage or analog stompbox I could find. Was given an original broken Orange Squeezer, and found a Mosrite FuzzRite for $5 in a pawn shop. Was also given a broken Univox fuzz like Pete Townshend used to use, as well as an original Boss Spectrum. I stuck all of these in a box and they sat there until recently, I was able to repair and sell them for some great change.

Learned two things; being an engineer and repairman, and after working on and owning these devices, I was not very impressed with any of them due to just their age. I can dig a '65 Strat, but the FuzzRite? Not so much. Along with all this, and with all the reverse engineering done on vintage pedals as well as fanatical reproductions, I haven't heard any of the old pedals that can't be closely copied in new builds. And the new builds can almost always correct shortcomings in the originals, like low input impedances or lack of true bypass.

They definitely have a vibe and are cool in their vintage construction and feel, they can have some real character as objects of interest. But as far as tones go, most all the classic pedals have been reissued and improved, and there is far more weirdness available now than back in the day. Agreed that there are a few parts like bucket brigade chips that have become unobtanium, but I suspect a clever engineer could make a convincing copy from modern technology.

3. Guitarworks

Guitarworks Member

Got an old original early-80s purple script Jim Dunlop talk box with the heavy duty housing, heavy speaker and original hose. It's built like a tank. Works great. I also have a 1st generation MK 1 Fulltone OCD with a serial number in the low 3-digits that I bought in April 2000. It's not quite 20 years old yet but Fulltone changed that circuit more than a few times since, and is now on a Mk 4 or Mk 5 OCD by this time, I would imagine. So I've kept that one in pristine condition. I kinda wish I had held onto my first DOD FX55 distortion box from the early 80s, just for sentimental reasons, but I let it go to another guitarist friend of mine who needed one back then, after I upgraded to a better dirt box. Oh well.

DBBlues likes this.
  4. murkat

murkat I like sea otters Silver Supporting Member

Yes and no.
    For the yes, my new mini TS-9 does a very good job to what my 82' TS-9 did when it was working as intended, now retired.
    For the no, I have attempted to retire my old original A/DA for a long time. Nothing else does what it does, for me. And I have tried everything. So, I keep it serviced and it keeps working.

Not disagreeing with you.
    Some old stuff is better than the new stuff, some new stuff is better than the old... ;)

Matt Rain and DBBlues like this.
  5. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I've got guitars from the '50s and '60s and amps from the '60s but I have never had a vintage pedal (other than the '83 TS-9 that I bought used in '83 for $15- and never liked).
    It's not that I'm not interested, t just seems like good ones are harder to get and the bang for the buck ratio is lower than with guitars and amps.

DBBlues likes this.
  6. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I love vintage pedals. Theoretically, newer stuff should eclipse them, but not always. Here are some favorites. There is a long ago modified germanium Fuzz Face (a small inductor was added and a resistor was replaced), a TS-808, a beat 1974 Phase 90, and a Kay Fuzz.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  7. Gracehoper

Gracehoper Member

I don't know, it certainly depends on what you like. If only an original Klon will make you happy, then yes. But something like a Russian bubble font Muff, small box Rats and a lot of Japanese Boss pedals are still reasonably affordable and give (at least for me) a little relief to the occasional collector's scratch.

Mobass, DBBlues and Don A like this.
  8. Flogger59

Flogger59 Member

Roland Bee Baa fuzz
    Boss OD-1 w sn 0000 ( they were all like that at launch)
    Dallas Arbiter Wah Face ( basically a Jen)
    60's Vox Wah

Matt Rain and DBBlues like this.
  9. Don A

Don A Silver Supporting Member

I was really talking about '60s to mid '70s pedals- Fuzz Faces, wahs, etc..., up to about early Rats. Maybe because I'm older, I don't consider Russian Muffs, small box Rats, and all but the earliest Boss pedals to be vintage.

beanbass likes this.
  10. Blue4Now

Blue4Now Silver Supporting Member

have an '82 AD9, a long dash silver screw OD1 ('81 I think) , an RV2 which I believe was just made one year, '84 maybe, and a DD2.

DBBlues likes this.
  11. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

Do these count? I need to take a new picture, I've gotten another EP3, EP4 and two more EP2's!

[​IMG]

12. Gracehoper

Gracehoper Member

That's a reasonable argument. As a counter I would argue that since pedals didn't become a thing until the sixties (and a lot of classic pedal sounds weren't around until the late 70s / early 80s) we should have a later cutoff point. I would be as loose as to just say "any desirable pedal of yesteryear" - and especially the ones that have increased in value and/or have been emulated by later pedal makers.
    I think that makes sense both from a collector's and tone purist's perspective.

DBBlues likes this.
  13. Gracehoper

Gracehoper Member

Holy ****, that's awesome!

crambone, scotticus, simonm and 2 others like this.
  14. DBBlues

And ... they count!

Rockinrob86 likes this.
  15. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

I took this as a joke because I saw a picture on facebook of eric johnsons pedal board and noticed he has 3 belle epochs, an echorec and a deluxe memory man, so I tried to troll him with this, but I couldn't get the picture anywhere. So now I just have a ridiculous picture of a lot of echoplexes strung together!

Matt Rain, krz4fx, Pedal Dan and 3 others like this.
  16. Gracehoper

Gracehoper Member

[​IMG]

Here are mine. As previously discussed the "cutoff point" with vintage pedals may be even more debatable than with guitars... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

17. DBBlues

Nice! I love that Shin-Ei Echo.

18. scotticus

scotticus Member

I've been after a Little Muff for a while now...would you mind describing the kind of sound it makes? The first two issues of the pedal had only two transistors, as opposed to the later 70s versions which had the IC chips or four transistors.

DBBlues likes this.
  19. drewl

drewl Member

I've worked on a couple of those, worked on pretty much anything ever made.

Only use my old vintage pedals and stuff for recording, original Dyna Comp, D+, Big Muff etc. but mostly have built my own, Superfuzz, TBMKI, MKII, MK1.5....went on a fuzz kick there for a while after finding a bunch of Germanium transistors and built all kinds of weird old ones, WEM Rush/Pep etc.
    First pedal ever was my Thomas Cry baby which still sounds incredible.

DBBlues and Bobby D like this.
  20. Gracehoper

Gracehoper Member

This one has two transistors though it was my impression that it was from the 70s as well. It sounds like a fuzzy overdrive and it's quite cool through small amps but can be a little bassy through bigger amps.

Here's a link with some pictures: https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...he-vintage-little-muff.1539908/#post-19460452