Vintage pedals

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by yucatown, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

DUDE.......that's some serious effects firepower you are stockpiling there - can I come over to play?

and do you really have the legendary Synthi Hi Fli???? out of the decades I have been "picking" and buying vintage effects for dealers like Analog Mike, the Synthi is the WHITE WHALE for me - never found one, and possibly never will. but i keep hitting those pawn shops and thrift stores and little bitty music shops out in the country with hopes that one day indeed i will walk in and see that beautiful machine with a $99 price tag on it....

2. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

HOLY MOTHER OF FUZZ! that is a COLLECTION.......damn, I would love to come over and shoot video demos with your toys :D

simonm and DBBlues like this.
  3. scotticus

scotticus Member

Awesome, thanks for that link. You're right, I think your Ram's Head version and the one before (Triangle style lettering) were early/mid 70s, then they changed them into what became the late 70s yellow and brown version. Would you say it's less fuzzy and saturated than say a Fuzz Face? I've heard them described as overdrive, distortion, fuzz face sounding, square wave sounding, so I'm not really sure what to think haha.

DBBlues likes this.
  4. scotticus

scotticus Member

Here's a few of mine that I've had over the years and remembered to take pictures of:

V5 and V1 Big Muffs
    [​IMG]

Cry Baby transition era wah and Clyde Picture wah
    [​IMG]

Uni Vibe
    [​IMG]

'78 blue 5 knob Deluxe Memory Man
    [​IMG]

Various Arbiter items
    [​IMG]

5. Gracehoper

Gracehoper Member

I would consider it more of an OD than a fuzz. Definitely not square wave. Maybe somewhere between a Muff set to low gain and a Dist+.

Do you have any good resources for information on the Little Muff? I've had a hard time finding much info.

DBBlues and scotticus like this.
  6. scotticus

scotticus Member

Thanks for that. There's very little information out there on them, but there's one page I found where someone repaired one that wasn't working. It has a small amount of info but nothing comprehensive by any means.

http://www.tributeaudiodesigns.com/rarely-seen-little-muff-pi/

DBBlues and Gracehoper like this.
  7. DBBlues

DBBlues Formerly fullertone Gold Supporting Member

Love the Fuzz Faces!

scotticus likes this.
  8. scotticus

scotticus Member

Thanks, unfortunately I only own the silver one and the red Treble and Bass Face now, and the Trem Face belongs to a friend of mine.

9. DBBlues

The silver one looks like a great one to have kept.

scotticus likes this.
  10. bob-i

bob-i Member

I have one of those maestro pedals. Very compressed but cool fuzz. I'll bet I bought it in 1975 or so.

I found it too compressed so I modded it with a compression control. Used it for years.

DBBlues and kev like this.
  11. Artie Fisk

Artie Fisk Member

I had (and sold because I couldn't say no to what they ended up being worth) a Ludwig Phase II Synthesizer. Paid $25 for it in '91 to my buddy Doug, who'd bought it in '88 for $25 from MOJO Guitars in NYC. Sold it in 2001 on eBay for $900. Should have waited (they're now 2-3k), but had just had my first son and needed the $$$.

It was the most insane and unpredictable effects device you could imagine. Another friend who used to come over and make music with us all the time used to say, "Man, you don't play this thing--this thing plays YOU!"

DBBlues likes this.
  12. RhytmEarl

RhytmEarl Member

I have a bunch of vintage pedals but don't have photos of many...here's one of my Arbiter Fuzz Face.

I'll see if I have any more pics of other old/rare stuff that I have.

[​IMG]

13. dansworld

dansworld Gold Supporting Member

I have always wanted to try a Synthi Hi-Fli. They are about as rare as it gets!

DBBlues and yucatown like this.
  14. yucatown

yucatown Theory-free noodling enthusiast Gold Supporting Member

15. DBBlues

I love the silver and black Fuzz Face look.

16. ned7flat5

ned7flat5 Member

- two Italian made JEN wah pedals: Cry Baby and Mr Cry Baby (wah/vol)
    - Ibanez phase tone (single knob, rectangular light blue case, early Ibanez script)
    - Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer (I acquired it new c.1974 from my then local music shop owner - it's an ultra rare foot pedal model with a huge treadle - the build quality looks prototypical)
    - Ibanez TS9 from '82 - paid $45 for it a couple of years ago.
    - a bunch of Boss MIJ I bought new in the early 80's (CE-3, GE-6, DM-2, SD-1)
    - Marshall "The Guv'nor" pedal from 1989 - MIAB for sure!

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  17. Wannasoundbetta

Wannasoundbetta Member

Now, see, this is what you get when 95% of the delay pedals out there are Mono only. Why??

Reverb and delay in stereo just can't be beat. I love delays, particularly tape. I would love to try the belle epoche. But its mono. And not being eric I can't justify buying two of them, so basically for delay I'm restricted to Strymon or TC Electronic...

DBBlues likes this.
  18. Steve Hotra

Steve Hotra Silver Supporting Member

I own a Boss CE-1. Used it with my Stage Fender Rhodes.
    Never modded. Its my oldest pedal in my collection.

19. ggwwbb

ggwwbb Member

My first distortion pedal was a Ross from the late 70's/early 80's. Got it in '86 with a cheap, crappy LP copy and an even crappier little amp. Paid $25 for the whole package....I don't remember what happened to it....

Bought this Big Muff in the early 90's from Angela Instruments. I don't remember how I got a copy of their catalog, but they advertised that they had a box of random vintage Big Muffs from all eras. You send in $25, they reach in the box and grab the first Big Muff they touch, and send it to you. I had just recently discovered Mudhoney, so I had to have one and even as broke as I was then, I could afford $25 for one. I got lucky and they grabbed a triangle knob one in great condition. Didn't play it all that much but held onto it till about 10 years ago and sold it on ebay for almost $600!

[​IMG]

About 2 or 3 years ago, a friend found some pedals at a garage sale for $10 and bought them for me. After I bought him lunch and paid him the $10 back, I had about $30 in them. Don't remember what the rest were, but I sold 2 of them for about $75 and kept the Seymour Duncan Pickup Booster since it didn't sell with the rest. A few months later I see an add on CL for a Rotophase 1. Did some checking on it and it seemed like a cool pedal, so I offered the Pickup Booster as a trade. Turns out the guy was looking for some sort of boost or OD, so it worked out perfectly. This thing was originally made by Maxon for SLM and is an outstanding Leslie-type pedal. I took it to Keeley and they put a power supply plug on it for me, but otherwise it's stock and sounds great. They expressed some interest in cloning it and I was on board with that, but I haven't heard anything else from them about it. It's on my small board and isn't going anywhere, especially since I don't have a dime in it, even with the Keeley mod.

[​IMG]

20. Phila67

Phila67 Member

70s EH "Little Muff" (nasty)
    70s MXR graphic equalizer
    70's Cry Baby (Thomas Organ version)
    82 TS-9 (the go to pedal)
    80s Ibanez Analog Delay
    87 DD-2 Digitech Delay/Sampler (loved it back it the day but now needs a new battery connector)
    89 Sans Amp (the manual said it sounded better than it seemed to--to my ears anyway)
    late 80s/early 90s Tube Works/RK Butler Tube Driver
    A pile of 80s DOD stuff: chorus/flanger/octave (meh...)

Used to have and miss:
    70s MXR Distortion +
    70s MXR Chorus
    70s Phase 90

Used to have and don't miss:
    80s DOD Overdrive + (loved the yellow color though)
    80s DOD Phaser
    80s Boss SD-1

Mobass and DBBlues like this.