Vintage Phase 90 question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by DANOCASTER, Aug 9, 2005.

1. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

so...COLLECTABILITY ASIDE - what is the major sonic difference between a script and a block logo ??

I really dont use phaser much but need a decent one for ONE song live. I was think about a reissue dunlop but a friend said the orig sounds WAY better. So I could probably find a bloc logo pretty cheap - is the script worth the extra $$ ?

FYI - I am NOT interested in EVH's striped dunlop monstrosity - regardless of how it sounds. If I'm spending $100+ on a phaser - I want vintage:mad:

2. smallbutmighty

smallbutmighty Supporting Member

Just out of curiosity, why? If someone made a phaser that sounded as good as anything out there but had modern improvements like true bypass and a standard 9v adapter, why would you insist on vintage, espcically when you were already considering a re-issue?

I've heard a lot of good things about the EVH box.

If it were me, I'd consider the new Homebrew Psycolybe. The clips are great. Might be more than you want to spend for one song though.

A

3. DANOCASTER

DANOCASTER Supporting Member

Because if I invest in a vintage piece - I will almost ALWAYS get my money outta it - should I sell it ( which I almost always do anyway )

I also think the EVH striped look just plain goofy ( but I'm sure it looks good on you ):D

theanalogdream likes this.
  4. zoooombiex

zoooombiex Member

you might consider getting the new one and doing the r-28 "script" mod. you just clip one resistor in the feedback section of the circuit and it apparently sweetens it up nicely.

phazersonstun likes this.
  5. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

I did the R28 mod to a reissue phase 90, sounded fine to me. But if you're one of those who needs true bypass (and don't plan on putting your phaser in a TB looper-type device), you may want to consider the build-your-own clone website here

I remember hearing that they will actually build one for you if soldering isn't your thing (FWIW, I tried to do one of the kits myself and I was not up to snuff with the technique). It's true bypass and reportedly sounds as good as the old script MXR for much less.

Just something to consider.

6. wopr

wopr Member

Well, I can't really compare the two types together, but I bought a script logo based on reputation, and I have been very unimpressed. It has not made my pedal board.

BTW, I bought mine used, so it could just be my pedal in particular, and not just script logos.

7. cuz/karl

cuz/karl Supporting Member

I played the re-issue & the Script side by side .The re-issue had a had thump at the recycle,you could hear when engaged & had a much harder sound.The Script was smoother throughout the cycle & had a much more even sound.I haven't heard the R28 mod or the EVH model,so I have no comment on those.I chose the Script.

Hope that helps.

8. RGN

RGN Member

To answer your original question-- the script model sounds more subtle to my ears whereas the block is a little more in your face. But, neither is a phaser for freaky noises- there are better phasers for that kind of stuff. In general the MXR is pretty subtle.

I had a script phaser back in the day and now use an EVH model. I paid $119 and I think it is better than old one and it has a cool blue LED so I can always tell it is on.

9. Non-Digital Tom

Non-Digital Tom Member

There were a number of circuit changes to the Phase 90 over the course of it's original run. Most pretty minor. But the major change is when they went from a circuit using 6 ICs to 3. This is probably what accounts for the majority of the sonic difference some people hear.

Here's the thing - the earliest Block logo Phase 90s had the 6 IC circuit, just like the Script logo versions. It was a couple of years into the Block logo production when the change occurred. So it's not so much a Script vs. Block thing (there are no exceptional sonic attributes to typefaces, as far as I know) - it's the 6 IC vs. 3 IC thing.

10. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

That is what I did, as well as clipping another one or two. After that, I compared it side by side to my friends Script model. There is an internal sweep that you can adjust as well.
    They were so close, I could not justify the price for the script. I think someone did a video comparing them as well.

11. Serenity

Serenity Member

Wow, this is the oldest thread bump i've seen in a long time. :D

12. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Sometimes it takes 11 years to find the right phaser.

Windup 43, Cal Webway and Serenity like this.
  13. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

After much research and trying various models over the years, here's my assessment...

The script sounds better than the block. The custom shop, hand-wired version of the script sounds great and you can get them new without having to go vintage. For the best sound and performance, get one from Analog Man and have him mod it. For example, I had him add a LED, true bypass and an internal volume trimmer. All around awesome.

14. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

Or you can get the MXR script reissue with LED and 9v, which sounds as good as any vintage Phase 90 or Script reissue.

15. strike3

strike3 Member

Check out the whirlwind orange box

16. phazersonstun

phazersonstun Member

Cliff note:

I've had the same phase 90 with R28 removed for the entire duration of this thread.

DakotaRed likes this.
  17. CEFlint

CEFlint Member

After 11 years, I'm guessing a decision has been made by now.

If not, and if you're still just playing that one song, pick up a used block for $50 on eBay and do the R28 mod. I did it years ago. Easy as can be and it makes a great deal of difference.

18. leftybill

leftybill Supporting Member

I am not sure how that thread resurrected from 2005. Sorry for flogging a dead horseo_O

19. jm9239

jm9239 Supporting Member

That product is not the same as the custom shop hand-wired and doesn't sound the same. Ask @analogmike

analogmike likes this.
  20. Black_Label

Black_Label Member

I know, but it sounds fantastic.