Vintage Princeton Reverb from 1965

Earplayer

I think i will get a really nice example of a ´65 Princeton Reverb - the amp has a 12" hole in the original baffle and i really like a Princeton with a 12" speaker - so this not a problem at all for me...

... BUT what speaker would you choose for an all original Princeton Reverb from 1965 and why...???

Best regards, Tom.

mortatort

Silver Supporting Member
I would probably look for an Eminence alnico of some kind. I've had VERY good experience with various model Emi alnico's in various Fender amps. Right now I have an Emi Red Fang in a '68 Deluxe Reverb and it was quite a noticable improvement over the stock speaker. I also have a 10" Eminence alnico blue in a '66 Princeton Reverb and it's my favorite amp right now, absolutely gorgeous tone. I also used to have a 70's Twin(friend has it now so I still get to use it) with older Eminence alnicos with a MusicMan label on them. Those things are over the top toneful as well.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ginglymus

Alnico speakers are mainly what I have used in my '69 PR w/12" replacement baffle.

I used to use the PR strictly for cleans and an Altec 417-8H-II sounded really good, in spite of weighing a ton. More recently I've been using the amp for OD tones also, so I tried an Emi Red Fang, which sounded good for both dirty and clean tones, but compressed too easily to get the most out the PR's limited headroom at higher volumes. I then tried a Scumback H-55, which was great for OD, but I found it a little too bassy in that particular combo. What I'm using now is a Scumnico, and it's given me the best of both worlds. The cleans have a nice sparkle, with the bottom end as tight as the PR is capable of, and the distortion tones are warm and smooth.

Earplayer

never heard of reverend or naylor speakers... intersting.

i definately want to keep the vintage blackface vibe, feel and tone. i think a vintage c12n would be a great speaker for that amp but the speakers are hard to find...

markbosko

Weber 12A150, which is a 12", 8-Ohm, 40-oz AlNiCo magnet, 25-watt, 1-1/2" voice coil, ribbed cone type speaker, that provides a warm, crunchy tone, It has a warm, smooth early breakup, aggressive attack, it's very loud and full sounding, with compressed/fattened tones at high volumes.
Vintage Fender tone if that's what you are looking for.

slider313

Gold Supporting Member
never heard of reverend or naylor speakers... intersting.

i definately want to keep the vintage blackface vibe, feel and tone. i think a vintage c12n would be a great speaker for that amp but the speakers are hard to find...

A vintage C12N would be perfect. I have had Weber recone a few for me (vintage C12N's) and I go with their standard 12F150 cone, a 50 watt voice coil and no doping.

Red House

Gold Supporting Member
Eminence's 'Red White & Blues' is their C12N clone; lots of people really like 'em.

Earplayer

Thank you guys! I think i really like the Weber speakers... the Weber 12F150 seems to be a good choice when it comes to that classic Blackface tone...

The original vintage ones i have found are bloody expensive... Do you think the Weber 12F150 can hold a candle next to an original vintage C12N???

Trending Topics

Top Bottom