Vintage Princeton Reverb question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Beng2040, Jan 20, 2015.

1. Beng2040

Beng2040 Supporting Member

Does anyone know are has anyone seen a 1964 Fender Princeton Reverb with the following cosmetic traits?

- Blonde tolex
    - Blackface panel
    - Wheat grillcoth
    - Early 60's logo

I found one but don't know if it's stock. It's priced like it is all stock but I have my doubts. I can't find one anywhere else on the net.

2. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I've not seen that in a 64. maybe ask for the stamped serial number on t he back of the chassis and do some googling?

3. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

While it may look cool, it had to have been recovered sometime in its life.

If the owner is calling it original, he's either lying or sadly mistaken.

4. Beng2040

So, Fender definitely wouldn't have used this combo of features?

5. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

6. Crate love

Crate love Member

I have one and it is completely original. It looks nothing like what you are describing except it does have the black faceplate. It is covered in black tolex or whatever was used in 1964, has the original black/silver grill cloth.

ask the owner direct why it was recovered

7. Beng2040

63-64 was a transition year, right? They would have had blonde tolex, etc. I'm doubting the amp is legit, but the blonde tolex with black faceplate is not unheard of for a 64.

8. Beng2040

I could have sworn I'd seen a blonde late 63-early 64 PR in the past. Maybe I was hallucinating.

9. slider313

The blonde tolex/black faceplate combo was only found on the heads; Tremolux, Bandmaster, Bassman and Showman. The previous amps mentioned had blonde tolex/brown faceplates before the transition. The only combo covered in blonde tolex was the Twin, when it had a brown faceplate.

Also, don't take Ampwares info as "gospel". It say's one of the speakers used in the the Princeton Reverb was a Jensen C10R. I've never seen an original Princeton Reverb with that model Jensen.

10. woof*

woof* Member

I doubt, but technically anything is possible, salesman's sample?
    In the 70's I had a stock 4x10 Bassman, just like a tweed Bassman, but black Tolex and silver grill made in the beginning of 1960.

11. Tony Bones

Tony Bones Member

12. slider313

And your Bassman was recovered also.

13. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

Yes, I've had a blonde Tremolux head with the Black faceplate. It was a 63. The tolex was original and so stiff and brittle it would almost break when you bend it. (hole to clear the speaker cab handle in the bottom of the head) The faceplate looked black... but on real close inspection seemed to be a very dark brown tint to it. Much blacker than the normal brown though.
    I've often wondered if it was an early example of the soon to be blackface plate fender used, or if a batch of blonde/brown faceplates came in way too dark.

14. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

I have seen a 1960 Bassman with brown vinyl and wheat that was supposed to be authentic but black would be a recover, as you said.

15. billyguitar

billyguitar Member

Be sure it's just not a new one. A pic of the back of the amp could tell us what you have.

16. slider313

I've seen photo's of that brown tolex Bassman from mid-late 1960. That could very well be original.

17. 335guy

335guy Member

To my knowledge, and per http://www.thevintagesound.com/ffg/, in 1964, the Princeton Reverbs had black tolex, with the silver sparkle grill cloth, a black faceplate that said "Fender Elect. Inst. Co.", and the 1st ones didn't have a logo on the grill cloth. There wasn't a reverb model prior to 1964, unless it was a prototype/one off. And prior to 1964, the cab covering was brown on the Princetons. Plus, with the reverb model in 1964, the amp chassis was wider, so you couldn't stick a 1964 and later chassis into a regular Princeton cab.

So, if a seller is showing a blonde covered cab with a wheat grill cloth and an earlier logo, I'd say it was either re-covered, or he got a different after market cabinet. The chassis maybe a 1964 ( you can get the transformer date codes to verify, and the serial # on the back of the chassis is helpful to date it as well ). But the cabinet isn't original, unless it was re-covered, or a special one off prototype or custom order, which I highly doubt.

Lots of guys have "customized" their PR's. Here's one that looks like what you described.

[​IMG]

Take some photos and post them here.

18. Crate love

Crate love Member

I agree, mine has the 10" Oxford 10J4

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  19. Crate love

Crate love Member

Please note that Ampwares lists these as possible speakers used
    Model: Jensen C10R, Jensen C10N, Oxford 10L5 or Oxford 10J4