Vintage princeton reverb vs deluxe reverb

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by gemckay, May 13, 2015.

1. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    As I said initially, BF/SF doesn't even matter much with these as changes were minimal. You'll pay a lot more for a blackface.

Specimens of the same model from the same year vary. You have to try them and figure it out.

2. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I've owned a bunch of SF DRs and a few PRs and for me the smoother transition to overdrive of the PR is worth the slightly lower output power. In this day and age that's not much of a drawback: mic it into the monster PA, or reamp it with a Fryette or Badcat into a bigger speaker box. I played an outdoor gig competing against cranked Mesa 100w amps, a 300w bass amp and a pair of drum sets with a PR and a 100w powered extension cab and it sounded PERFECT. Bright and spanky clean and nice and crunchy pushed with a Bluesbreaker pedal and a Timmy.

CraigPaddock likes this.
  3. Silent Sound

Silent Sound Member

You just gotta play them and find out for yourself. Both the PR and DR changed very little from the day they were introduced, all the way up until the early 80's. There are a few minor component changes made over the years, but they're easy for any tech to swap out if you desire. And especially with hand wired amps this old, they tend to vary a bit from one to another, no matter which years they were made. To me, the biggest and most important difference between any two DR's or PR's will be the speaker. Get the right speaker, and get the amp running properly with all the proper maintenance and any one of them will hold it's own against any other.

So the first question is, do you want a PR or a DR? Different people prefer different things, so you'll need to play both and figure that out for yourself. Blindly following the advice of people you've never met, while it maybe the TGP way, is a fool's path. The second question you need to ask is, are you buying this as a collector's piece or a player's amp? The older the amp is and the better shape (and more original) it's in, the more it will be prized among collectors. But also, the more expensive it will be.

So get off the internet and get your hands on some examples! That's way more fun than reading people argue over bull spit anyway.

4. thewestwon

thewestwon Member

I think the PR does sound fantastic overdriven, haha. I'd lean towards the PR for home use or the DR for gigging. PR will work at a gig, but you'd probably need to mic it. Both great amps though. I'd go with a well-loved silverface. Bonus points for buying both and running in stero. There's a local shop with silverface versions of both for around 900/each. Well my buddy bought the PR but they do still have a non reverb princeton.

5. bill's guitars

bill's guitars Silver Supporting Member

I have '64 DR and a '65 PR and truly both are awesome-I have the opriginal Oxford 12K5-6 in my DR and the original 10L5 in my PR- as for using an overdrive with the PR I prefer a Tim pedal and it sounds just like the amp only pushed a bunch-very transparent, but truthfully other od's didn't sound quite right with the PR -with my DR I use a bunch of different od's including a Klon and a SHOD-it just loves them all.
    I will add that the only amp I take out to gigs or jams is my PR and it has never let me down -,I love Oxfords-best speakers for blackface /silver face Fender amps bar none IMHOP

6. rockinrobby

rockinrobby Senior member Professional musician ... Gold Supporting Member

Use each one accordingly to my playing situation .. 69 Fender DR, 66 Fender Princeton amp, 67 Fender Vibro champ.

[​IMG]

Pmg likes this.
  7. FF71

FF71 Member

I have played 3 different vintage ones (my '65, a '66 that I sold to a friend and another '66) They all vary differently from one another. The beauty of handwired amps. :)

8. guitarjazz

guitarjazz Member

9. JDW3

JDW3 Member

How hard is it to change the PR cathodyne phase inverter? Is it an easy mode to change it to DR specs?

If so, maybe grab a later SF and mod the PI. Best of both worlds? I'd like to know, myself.

10. drbob1

Why would you do that? A SF DR and a SF PR aren't that far apart in cost, and if you go with a long-tailed PI in the PR all your left with is a DR with low output? Well, I guess with only one channel and bias changing tremolo. Still not a mod I'd recommend. If you want a Princeton with more power, how about upgrading transformers and switching to 6L6s?

11. zenas

zenas Member

The phase inverter on the PR wasn't some new invention just for the PR. It was used before the long tail pair on the tweeds..
    So blaming the PI might not be right unless you think all but like 3 tweed amps suck.

Last edited: May 16, 2015
  12. gemckay

gemckay Member

Not sure if I mentioned this earlier but looking to grab a deluxe or Princeton and hoping to keep it as a long term amp. Still curious about the reissue models- has anyone done upgrades to make them even better?

13. Ridgeback

Ridgeback Member

There is an extensive and recent thread on the DRRI with all sorts of discussion regarding mods. I don't follow the PRRI much but I suspect that those mods are discussed somewhere as well.

14. drbob1

Most folks think the PRRI and DRRI are decent amps for what they cost, especially used. They' sound in a similar ballpark to the original versions. However, extensive modding doesn't make much sense to me, you can buy a used DR from the late 70s for $1k or less. You can buy a used DRRI for $700. If you spend $300 modding the reissue you're only going to get to where you started with the original, which will be worth more later.

15. MHG

MHG Member

Jeg er enig med deg. Det Hores virkelig Flott.

16. kinmike

kinmike Supporting Member

I think modding a PR to Long Tailed Pair PI would mean you have to give up the bias tremelo.

Mike

17. teledude55

teledude55 Member

I'm in the same boat. I have owned both the '65 DRRI and the '65 PRRI in the past and am currently looking to get another '65 DRRI for my sole 'do it all' amp...I've been looking hard at the new '68 Deluxe Custom but at those prices I can maybe get a vintage Silverface or even a HW Marshall 18w type for a couple hundred more, '65 DRRIs you can find used for $700 pretty easily...even with the new amp I would probably end up forking out a couple hundred on a new speaker and tubes, so there we are at $1200+Tax or more. I am partial to the 12" speaker as I think they are warmer sounding than the 10"s, esp. at lower volumes.

I just don't know what to get yet...it's been a while since I've had to hunt for an amp. smh. lol

Last edited: May 27, 2015