• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Vintage ProCo RAT mini-Restoration Thread

Last week, I purchased an early 1980's vintage ProCo RAT from someone at work. Here it is:

This is a low serial number ProCo "The Rat" and I originally thought it was from 1983 or so:

More than 25 years ago, the original owner disconnected the internal 9-volt input jack, carefully bent it out of the way, and installed in its place a Radio Shack "Battery Eliminator" wall adapter.

He fed the adapter wire through the jack opening, re-soldered it together, and connected it to the 9-volt battery connector. He then used duct tape to seal up all the original parts. Nice work for a 17 or 18 year old to take the time to keep all of the original parts around.

I used small scissors to cut away the crumbly, sticky duct tape to expose the original components. Here the battery clip cover has popped off. I cleaned off the goo with some lighter fluid and re-attached it to the 9-volt connector.

Then it was time to "cut the umbilical cord".

Next, I took the duct tape off the original power jack. Yay! All the original hardware was still there. It was bent up to move it away from the jack opening, so I'd have to bend it back down.

Now I was able to get a good look at the pots. If I'm not mistaken 7-digit number 1378150 on the pots means the following:

137 = CTS
81 = Year
50 = Week

So the pots at least were made during December of 1981. I was a freshman at the University of Colorado at Boulder then.

I removed the 2 input jacks and then carefully coaxed the power jack back into alignment. When everything was lined up correctly, I re-installed all 3 jacks and tightened up the hex nuts.

Here's the exterior of the "restored" RAT.

And here's the graduation photo, with the RAT back on a pedalboard after sleeping in a box for more than 2 decades. Have I said yet that it sounds killer? No? Well, it sounds killer!

bhelvick1

That was awesome man!

I have an old college room mate I visited last September in Boulder. Such a wonderful place.

vernplum

Gold Supporting Member
I always enjoy these restoration threads, or any of those that document the journey of something from one state to another. Very informative and interesting - thanks for sharing!

Nice work. I have a Small box RAT from the mid 80's which I just got. Still working on dialling it in. What are some good settings to get a nice distortion or fuzz sound?

Nice work. I have a Small box RAT from the mid 80's which I just got. Still working on dialling it in. What are some good settings to get a nice distortion or fuzz sound?
There are good distortion setting everywhere. The fuzz starts to kick in as you increase the Filter setting. The Filter rolls off the high end, so it seems to work like a Tone control that's wired up in reverse.

That was awesome man!

I have an old college room mate I visited last September in Boulder. Such a wonderful place.
My wife & I, our 3 kids and our dog Goldie spent a week in Boulder last summer. We had a great time. My wife wants to move there someday.

I always enjoy these restoration threads, or any of those that document the journey of something from one state to another. Very informative and interesting - thanks for sharing!
Thanks. I had fun doing the mini restoration and making the thread...although both of them took more time that one would have expected!

Last edited:
Humm...it seems like my Rat is cutting out at low volumes. Not sure if this is a dying battery or not. I'm using a battery now because I'm still waiting on a 3.5mm positive tip convert for my 1 Spot. I ordered one off eBay but it was defective with a break in the cabling right at the base, so I need to go DC for a few more days. I'm hoping I just grabbed a tired 9-volt battery.

dosmun

Humm...it seems like my Rat is cutting out at low volumes. Not sure if this is a dying battery or not. I'm using a battery now because I'm still waiting on a 3.5mm positive tip convert for my 1 Spot. I ordered one off eBay but it was defective with a break in the cabling right at the base, so I need to go DC for a few more days. I'm hoping I just grabbed a tired 9-volt battery.
Probably the switch. Spray some DeOxit in the switch and see if that helps. You could also try putting a jumper wire across the lugs on the switch to see if that solves the problem

Trending Topics