• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Vintage Rack Effects

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
I guess vintage is the right term for the 80s? Anyway, I just recently got interested in rack gear for my home studio and found a good deal on a Korg SDD-3000 rack delay and was so impressed with it that I found a Lexicon PMC81 Effects Processor to go along with it. Both are incredible sounding and the stereo image from the PCM81 is the best I've personally heard.

So, who else is using rack gear still, or has started using rack gear again recently? Any favorites, or favorite settings you'd be willing to share, etc....? I've got a 5u rack being built by West Coast Pedal Boards in lacquered Tweed that I should get next week to put them in. http://shop.westcoastpedalboard.com/West-Coast-Rack-Case-Series-p/pedal-board-rack-series.htm

I'm going to get a Furman Power Conditioner for the rack to power it and the amps, and that leaves me two more open slots. I'm thinking maybe another dedicated delay and a dedicated reverb. Anybody got some favorites or suggestions on how to proceed?

Here's what I'm working with so far:

Post some pics! Let's see what's out there. Come on @DrBob and @ellsworthman !

Some time in late April it turned into this:

Almost filled out, still loving everything and finding new stuff daily.

Last edited:
I used to be obsessed with 80's/90's rack gear. Then, they all started to act up and be unreliable.

The real gems that I still have and love:

TC 2290 = except it wants to break, and I've already put $500 into repairs.
Roland SDE-2500 = I like everything about it.
Roland RSP-550 = fantastic processor. great chorus and reverb.
ADA S1000 = great sounding, fun, cheap delay. This one is becoming very unreliable though. It has a mind of its own.
CAD CGM-3 compressor = Bradshaw was putting these in everyone's rack at one point. Works great for tracking guitar too.

derekeugene

Silver Supporting Member
I have an old ADA rack delay (D640 I think) that I've used off and on for a while. I'll actually velcro it on my PT1 and velcro pedals on top.

It has buttons for different delay times. Setting the feedback all the way up and switching times with those buttons gives you some cool glitchy stuff. Kind of like the Supa Puss.

ellsworthman

The Geezer of Gear
Gold Supporting Member
I wondered who would start this thread after the idea came up in the CT5 thread! In recent months, I've picked up a few pieces for good to great prices (low enough where if they break down I'm not going to cry...too much ;)), including the following:

Korg SDD-2000. It doesn't have the 3000 preamp, but it still has a great digital delay.

Yamaha SPX90. It's long in the tooth, but I love the Symphonic setting, as well as the plate reverb.

Digitech RDS 7.6. Long delay times, and a lot of weirdness if you want it.

Leicon PCM80. Just got this yesterday afternoon, and getting the Montreal Assembly CT5 the same day kept me occupied for hours and led me to not dabble with the Lexicon too much. I did, however sit down before work today and play with some of the reverbs...initial reaction is wow, particularly with the Deep Space preset.

There's also a Lexicon MPX100, which I don't use much, but it does have a few cool dual FX sounds in it.

I'll take a photo tonight, @PurpleJesus!

Last edited:

stilwel

Silver Supporting Member
Back in my U2 tribute days I had a huge rack full of 80's and early-90's gear.

TC2290 - the epitome of perfection
Korg SDD-2000 - really nice sounding early digital modulation delay with MIDI and presets
Korg A2 (still have this)
Digitech IPS-33B (or DHP33) Shimmer and rack whammy in addition to intelligent harmonies

Squatch57

I had some nice ones in my 90's studio TC2290, Bel BD80s, Ibanez SDR1000+, ART DR1a, Digitech ISP33B, Omnipressor, Ursa Major MSP126

The ART DR1a w/remote is a bit of an unknown classic with some mad sounds
I remember getting realistic cello sounds when I ran a Minimoog through the ART
Those early high-end ART's weren't too bad

Last edited:

splatt

david torn / splattercell
Platinum Supporting Member
hmmmm!
just the stuff that's still in regular (or still relevant) use, here..... not mentioning what's gone, nor what i can't actually remember being in storage.

original lexicon pcm42 as modified by gary hall (x2)
original prototype lexicon pcm80
lexicon pcm81
original electrix repeater (x2)
original oberheim echoplex digital pro

Rivera stereo tube power amp
VHT stereo tube power amp
1 or 2 Pearce amps

various modified rane mixers
modified Ashly mixer (so good!)
original lexicon jamman / vortex
various Oberheim & Digitech processors
ADA Ampulator
ADA Cabulator II

etc

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Silver Supporting Member
hmmmm!
just the stuff that's still in regular (or still relevant) use, here..... not mentioning what's gone, nor what i can't actually remember being in storage.

original lexicon pcm42 as modified by gary hall (x2)
original prototype lexicon pcm80
lexicon pcm81
original electrix repeater (x2)
original oberheim echoplex digital pro

Rivera stereo tube power amp
VHT stereo tube power amp
1 or 2 Pearce amps

various modified rane mixers
modified Ashly mixer (so good!)
original lexicon jamman / vortex
various Oberheim & Digitech processors
ADA Ampulator
ADA Cabulator II

etc
Any "favorite" settings on the PCM81 you can point out? It's got so many presets and parameters I've barely scratched the surface.

Trending Topics