1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

"Vintage" Rat vs Rat 2

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by vintage66, Feb 14, 2009.

1. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Is there much difference between the '90's big box Rat and the Rat 2 from the '90's with the LM308? I have the Rat 2 and am buying the Vintage-just wondering if it's redundent. If I like one better, I might sell the other.

2. slegros

slegros Member

From what I understand the only difference(if they both have the same chip) is the red LED. Sonically I believe they should be the same.

3. bluesd0g

bluesd0g Member

The led required for some rewiring of the switch resulting in some loading of the tone in bypass mode and a very slight adulteration of the clean tone. Vintage red is true bypass like the original RAT's (1979-1986)... (got this from a book by Dave Hunter so it's accurate info)
    I have a vintage RAT and I love it, i use it as a subtle overdrive though.

4. bluesd0g

bluesd0g Member

oops: vintage red* -> vintage "rat" of course

5. dosmun

dosmun Member

If the Rat 2 is from themid to late 90'st then they most likely it will be identical. (I'm not sure of the date that they started using 3PDT's in the R2) This is the reason the Vintage Rat was dropped as it was the same as the Rat 2. The earlier Rat 2's did have added circuitry for the LED but the later used a 3PDT switch. If your Rat 2 has a 3PDT switch then yes it will be redundant if not then there maybe a bit of a difference but not night and day. A Rat sounds like a Rat.

6. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Hmm, I have a Guitar Player issue from '92 that tests both and they thought they sounded different-they said the Rat 2 sounded like Anthrax and they actually liked it better. Go figure. I do like the Rat 2 with my Jcm800 but not so much with my Traynor, where it's too harsh. That's why I'm interested in the Vintage, for more classic sounds. I guess I'll find out.

7. josh27

josh27 Member

I used to have a RAT2 and currently have the vintage RI. The vintage RI seems to break up earlier and have more gain. But very similar overall.

I wish I still had the rat2, I think it was the better sounding. I want to get another to A/B.

8. dosmun

dosmun Member

It may have been a few more years before they changed the Rat2 over. I have a 95 Rat2 and it still has the old switching so it would have at least been after 95 before they changed them.

Easiest way is to see if the Rat 2 has the 3PDT switch.

9. traynor_garnet

traynor_garnet Member

I love my Vintage RI RAT but would consider a RAT2 to save on board space. Do the currently produced RAT 2s use the LM308N chip and have true bypass?

TG

10. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Vintage Rat is in the house, but I have to leave in 10 minutes so no time to play. I'll post a review later.

11. vintage66

vintage66 Member

Okay, the short review after a few minutes playing both into a Marshall Jcm800-they are different. The Rat 2 has way more gain at the same settings-I had the gain at 10:00 on both, then increased the Vintage to 12:00 and the Rat 2 still had more gain, and is more in your face metal vs the vintage, which is more '70's sounding to me-more classic hard rock. This confirms what I read in the 10-'92 issue of Guitar Player. Both of mine have the Lm308 chip-the Rat 2 is late '90's-can't remember exactly but I looked it up from the pots and I think it was '97 or '99. The guy I bought the VR from said it was at least 10 years old. I guess I'll be keeping both since I like them both for what they do.

12. Windup 43

Windup 43 Supporting Member

I don't have a Vintage Rat, but I had a whiteface Rat from the 80's and found the same thing vs. my 90's Rat II. The Rat II isn't as focused sounding as the whiteface, but the Rat II has more bass, is a bit more compressed and has a softer attack- the whiteface was clear and articulate but somewhat brittle sounding and overall just not as sweet as the Rat II. Still have the Rat II but the whiteface is now gone.