• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Vintage Rickenbackers ... the rarest of the rare

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
This Rickenbacker is so rare as to almost be a curiosity. Their "full bodied" (almost 17" across the hips and 2 3/8" deep) Capri 360-F. One of ~68 ever produced (40 in mapleglow). Available with original friggin' sales receipt (or at least a sales receipt; it doesn't specify model). But Retrofret being Retrofret (and it is, after all, way rare), they want a pretty penny.

10272_01.jpg

10272_10.jpg

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member
Yep, my old guitar.

While I wouldn’t call a 360F the ”rarest of the rare” Rickenbackers (we’re talking about a brand that made batches as small as five instruments!) this is certainly among the best examples you will find anywhere.

It’s squeaky clean, with fully documented ownership from the factory to the retailer to the first owner (whose son I bought it from). That is absolutely the receipt for this guitar. I have some friends that work at RIC and they were kind enough to dig out the original factory shipping invoice from 1960 showing the guitar shipping to the dealer, with list price etc.

This was a bucket list guitar for me, and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I think Retrofret’s price is quite reasonable, given the condition. Go find another one!

Last edited:

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member
I thought the 370F was the rarest of the rare . I saw one for 10 grand 20 years ago

The rarest production Rickenbacker (i.e. not a factory one-off) is most likely the 360S/12 of 1964, of which they made approximately five instruments.

Or the 4005 Lightshow bass, again a batch of five.

But I digress, the production figures for virtually any Rickenbacker model pale in comparison to all other brands from that era. They’re all rare!

Probably a total of a few hundred F models from 1958-1964, if that.

sws1

There was a Rick that sold recently (few weeks ago) which is a one of 2.

Highnumbers

Silver Supporting Member
There was a Rick that sold recently (few weeks ago) which is a one of 2.

Which one?

Sometimes people misquote the rarity of certain Rickenbackers, based on incomplete factory records published in Richard Smith’s book in the 1980s. Seems to happen often.

sws1

Which one?

Sometimes people misquote the rarity of certain Rickenbackers, based on incomplete factory records published in Richard Smith’s book in the 1980s. Seems to happen often.

Unfortunately, due to the circumstances and players involved, I can't really elaborate. Remind me in a year. :)

And I mistyped. It was 3 guitars, not 2.

Blauserk

Gold Supporting Member
I thought the 370F was the rarest of the rare . I saw one for 10 grand 20 years ago

I googled the 370F and it was likewise a revelation for me. The idea of a singlecut Rickenbacker, let alone one that is jazzbox-sized, is brain-melting for me, but I'm really a Rickenbacker ignoramus. My idea of rare is one of the Ricks from the 1950s.

WordMan

Wax Rhapsodic
Platinum Supporting Member
This Rickenbacker is so rare as to almost be a curiosity. Their "full bodied" (almost 17" across the hips and 2 3/8" deep) Capri 360-F. One of ~68 ever produced (40 in mapleglow). Available with original friggin' sales receipt (or at least a sales receipt; it doesn't specify model). But Retrofret being Retrofret (and it is, after all, way rare), they want a pretty penny.

10272_01.jpg

10272_10.jpg

@Highnumbers - so very cool! Peter at RF said the unboxing when it arrived was fully attended by the staff - and they get lots of cool stuff obviously - but this really brought out everybody’s inner Ric Head. Plenty of Ooing and Ahing to go around!!

slowerhand

Silver Supporting Member
How much were they asking?

It's a beautiful guitar of course, but rarity aside, I actually prefer their common, more angular shapes better (like the 330 and 360 models). If there had been lots of these, I wonder if they would be the bargain Rickenbacker, like Jazzmasters and Jaguars were to Fender for a long time. The body shape is close to that of an acoustic guitar and big and clumsy looking for an electric. But don't get me wrong, it's nice to look at and the wood combination is gorgeous.

Sweetfinger

Gold Supporting Member
How about a powder blue 360F?
Here's Jim Reeves and the Blue Boys with their custom blue Rickenbackers, sequentially numbered.
rickenbacker-jim-reeves-blue-boys_1_71a00c2941350a534c9d9467dc3ab23e.jpg

george4908

Silver Supporting Member
In the '70s when I started haunting guitar shops, Chuck Levin's had one of these oddball Rics on the rack for a good two years or more. At first I found it strange, somewhat ugly, and couldn't imagine who this guitar was supposed to be for. Each time I went in, there it was, unsold and overlooked in a sea of Fenders and Gibsons. But its quirkiness started to grow on me and I was thinking maybe one day I would check it out. No hurry. And then one day, it was gone.
1968-rickenbacker-360f-rie0362-fire-IHSRykG.jpg

It was a 360F thinline. I don't know the numbers, but there couldn't have been too many of these made. Some 20 years later, I spotted one at a guitar show and finally got to play it. Through a Trainwreck of all things. Someone had done a truly hack job pickup replacement, gouging out some of the top wood. But it sounded great, through the Trainwreck anyway. I passed.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom