Vintage Sound 20 - what OD pedal gets yours singing?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeVB, Jan 22, 2015.

1. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

What OD pedals get your Vintage Sound 20 really singing with single coils? I mean that just on the verge of feedback, single-note sustaining sound?

I tried a Jetter Red Shift with mine today, and they didn't play well together to me.

2. altouchet

altouchet Member

I use 3 different drives with my Vintage 20. All three are great and have their own character with that amp.
    Tube Screamer, Barber Gain Changer, and the new Rockett Archer (Klon style).
    If I could only keep one pedal it would be the Archer. That pedal really works great with a Tele and the Vintage 20. It works well as a clean boost, a slightly dirty boost, or driven hard it sounds great too.
    I use the Gain Changer for a bit more modern overdrive sound, or I sometimes stack two of the 3 pedals.
    The Gain Changer will get you in the more singing sustain territory.

3. Muzzy

Muzzy Supporting Member

The Maxon OD808 has a nice singing quality to it with my strat and vibrolux. The VS is a fender circuit so, it should react the same with that amp. It's a great overdrive.

4. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

a Zendrive would probably play nicely with it.

5. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Yep. Unfortunately I've owned and sold two originals before the madness started.

6. 335guy

335guy Member

I use a Keeley modded TS9-DX, and, while I haven't tried a lot of other overdrive pedals, I REALLY like mine.

7. joeprs

joeprs Member

I play a PRS DGT with humbuckers and use a Bad Cat 2-Tone pedal. I get better sustain through the V20 than I do with the Cub II.

I'll split the coils for distorted rhythm tones and like how it sounds that way too. I realize the OP was asking for pedals used with single coil guitars, but felt this might be of some help to mention.

8. es137p

es137p Supporting Member

I have an old Hermida Zendrive. But Lovepedal is making them now, so they are available.

9. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

What do you think about the Vintage 20 compared to the Sportsman?

10. joeprs

joeprs Member

I like both. They sound similar when set up clean. I think the V20 has a little bit more of that "chime" going on, similar to my Bad Cat Cub II in a way, but a little cleaner. The V20 has tremolo, the Sportsman does not. The Sportsman has a MV, the V20 does not. Sometimes I think owning both may be a bit redundant. Although, I may run both with an A/B/Y switcher using the Sportsman for my dirt instead of using any pedals, or just have the pedal as a boost.

The V20 is a head that I run through a closed back Avatar cab with 2 12's, a V30 and G12H-30. I love how the Sportsman sounds through this cab as well, more bottom and a much fuller well balanced sound.

Since owning the V20 (I got it at the end of Oct) I haven't really been playing any of my other amps. I guess I'm still in the honeymoon phase. I really like the amp a lot. Rick gave me a good trade price on a head I wasn't using (and didn't like) toward the V20, which helped the deal a lot. I wouldn't have been able to sell it, so that really made the deal attractive. I checked eBay and other sources and this particular item was not selling, so I feel really lucky to have gotten rid of it at a very fair trade value.

11. daacrusher2001

daacrusher2001 Silver Supporting Member

Fulltone Fulldrive II

Green Rhino

Either one...I only have the Fulldrive now and doubt I'll ever get anything else

12. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Wanted to bump this thread. Picked up a Vintage Sound 20 a few months back and absolutely love this amp! Been playing direct for the most part while having tried an OCD a few times. I've seen a few guys mention the Archer Klon but anything else to consider - unless that's the golden ticket :aok

Also wouldn't mind a pedal that could also playing nicely with my Bad Cat Black Cat 15R.

13. majorminor

majorminor Silver Supporting Member

My favorite drive pedal for my VS20 has been the Barber LTD. Set as a mild gain boost on an amp that is already cranked up a bit. Pretty transparent.

14. rufedges

rufedges Member

My AM Sunface really gets some singing sustain.

crazyneddie likes this.
  15. onestop

Barber pedals are great. I've never owned an LTD and believe there are 3 different versions, right? LTD, LTD SR and Silver. Thoughts on how they differ?

16. onestop

How's the Sunface sound for crunchy rhythm tones?

17. crazyneddie

crazyneddie Member

I think the Analogman modded TS9/808 will get what you like. I love it with BF Fender circuits.

18. kingdavidy2k

kingdavidy2k Member

Lovepedal OD11 or Amp11

19. rufedges

rufedges Member

Just for disclaimer, I do run an always on pedal as well, but, once I turned down the internal fuzz pot on the Sunface (I believe it comes maxed out), I wonder how I got along without it. I wish I could dial out just a little bit of bass, but other than than, it cleans up amazingly well, can get almost clean, to great Hendrix crunchy rhythm(Manic Depression, Foxy Lady, to full on Voodoo Chile leads,).....even cops a decent Texas Flood.....guitar volume control settings play a big part, as well as amp and other pedals, but really pleased with it. I almost returned it after I originally got it, but it does take some time to acclimate to your gear, and the pot inside definitely needed to be adjusted. (not bias). Just about my first fuzz pedal, but 4 out of the 6 pedals on my board ( 7 including the tuner) have been modded by Mike at Analogman, guy definitely knows his tone.

20. JPMTO

JPMTO Member

I have a V20 (that I'm thinking of selling), but would reco the Archer Ikon and King of Tone. But sound great with Strats and the V20. I do miss my Tubescreamer on the board, so thinking of getting a mini to squeeze in somehow!