Vintage Sound Amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by davidarnay, Jun 4, 2008.

1. davidarnay

davidarnay Member

Does anyone have any experience or advice concerning Vintage Sound Amplifiers, made in Florida? They are "vintage correct" repros of the classic point-to-point wired Fender amps, offered at a reasonable price. http://www.vintagesoundamps.com/default.htm

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

from what i hear they kinda blur the "repro" line. Don't they take old silverface fenders and give them an overhaul?? new caps, tubes, speaker, faceplate, and cabinet.

3. MartinC

MartinC Member

Must admit I've never heard one, but I did a bit of research. They do reconditioned originals and they also make brand new, hand-wired amps that are almost like the originals (SR, DR, TR), but with a few modifications that are commonly made to improve original examples. I got a couple of reviews from owners, both of which were positive. Tone is as per originals. I think you'd buy one if, like me, you don't know what you're looking for in a real vintage BF amp in terms of specs and wear and tear ... a low risk way of getting totally authentic tone with rock solid build and reliability. Price-wise all I can say is that with the Aussie dollar so strong against the US dollar, buying a VS410 (SR clone + mods) direct from Vintage Sound and shipping to Australia is roughly the same price as a Fender SRRI goes for locally. I know where my money would go. In the end I went for a channel switcher in a 1x12 configuration ... I think I'd go back to Vintage Sound if I wanted a BF style amp.

Can't remember the owner's name, but he was very helpful and informative.

4. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

I was looking for a BF Showman because I wanted a BF Twin in a head. A friend clued me into Rick Hayes and his company, Vintage Sound Amplifiers. Rick built me a new hand-wired head to BF Twin specs with a couple mods. He did a great job. The amp sounds and looks great. Rick is easy to work with, he's enthusiastic, knowledgeable and helpful, and his work is timely. When the amp arrived I was blown away by the packaging which was top notch. The guy cares about his work. Here's my 80 watt, hand-wired Twin in a head:

[​IMG]

5. Stk1520

Stk1520 Supporting Member

Rick built (restored?) this from an original 1970 Super Reverb chassis --- Mojo cabinet, MM transformers, etc. It looks and sounds great! The amp was apparently dropped during shipping and the reverb tank was slightly damaged; Rick immediately sent me a new tank at no charge even though it was the shipping company's fault.

[​IMG]

6. GTRJohnny

GTRJohnny Member

Serious drooling... this thread is hurting my bank account, I can feel it... :)

7. Blues_N_Rock

Blues_N_Rock Member

I agree with everyone above who purchased an amp from Rick. I must have bombarded this dude with so many questions about the parts he uses, etc. He was very responsive and quick in getting back to me. The amp was well packaged. The sound is great especially with a Fender Strat. Alot of clean headroom until you start to push around 6, but it gets loud. From what I see how the amp was put together, it looks like a top job. I wouldn't hesistate on buying another amp from Rick. BTW, I went with the cloned BFSR 4x10 and not a refurbishded SF.