Vintage Sound Hole Pickup Question

I purchased a box full of old guitar pickups from a music store that went out of business several years ago. The store opened in the early 1950's, so most of the stuff in the box was vintage. One of the sound hole pickups in the box is labeled "TP MELODY MIKE PAT. PENDING" on the black plastic pickup cover and "AUDIO EQUIPMENT CO. INC. GREAT NECK, N.Y. U.S.A." on the ON/OFF volume control piece. I can't find any information on this pickup. Anybody heard of this brand?

swiveltung

Not heard of that one. But many are just fine. I went through a few last year including Fishman etc. I ended up getting an old Lawrence cheap and really prefer it.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
One of the sound hole pickups in the box is labeled "TP MELODY MIKE PAT. PENDING" on the black plastic pickup cover and "AUDIO EQUIPMENT CO. INC. GREAT NECK, N.Y. U.S.A." on the ON/OFF volume control piece.
all of google seems to have no idea what this is; pics please!

regardless, acoustic pickups are kind of like computers or PA gear; they never become "vintage", just obsolete. the newer technology is just better at making an acoustic sound like an acoustic through the speakers.

old mystery soundhole pickups are neat for that lo-fi lightnin' hopkins blues tone into an electric amp, but at that point you're really just playing electric guitar again.

Trending Topics