Vintage sounds better?? No.

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Tag, Jun 6, 2020.

1. FennRx

FennRx Member

Never bin dun b4

2. Average Joe

Average Joe Member

Can you tell the difference when the drummer comes in?

We live in a golden age of guitar manufacture. I think modern can be easily as good as any vintage

3. vintagejunky

vintagejunky Member

This has been covered, the past couple of years, Ad Nauseum but if you feel the need to start a troll thread, good luck with it.

dalezjc, brbadg, RhytmEarl and 4 others like this.
  4. Sampler

Sampler Silver Supporting Member

Better to whom?

shane8, Timbre Wolf and never-enough like this.
  5. Meriphew

Meriphew Member

Even if I had 50 million in the bank, I'd still stick to buying Custom Shop Fenders/Gibsons. There are too many phenomenal modern day guitars to worry about spending huge sums chasing some mythical animal.

ragnar, younkint, Ampegged and 20 others like this.
  6. Rick51

Rick51 Member

That was done 8-10 years ago. I remember the attention it got then.

USMarine75, Heinz W, derekd and 2 others like this.
  7. dazco

dazco Member

One thing i have noticed in I'd say the last 8 or 10 years is that new guitars seems to sound better than they used to. I dunno if they have improved the way they dry the wood or pick it or what, but i used to hate buying new guitars because they *always* sounded green to me. (don't ask me to describe that because i can't find the words to match what i hear, but it was obvious) Today i don't hear that anymore and have bought new a lot more often and am always supersized at how good new guitars sound at any price range. it's not build quality either because i have had some really lousy builds but the tone is still there. Whatever it is things have definately gotten better in regards to new guitars and tone. My eastman acoustic was a real surprise because it's even more obvious with acoustics and it's the first one i ever bought new that sounded like an old guitar.

ablue, Cotton and Tag like this.
  8. Tag

Tag Gold Supporting Member

Thanks!
    :beer

9. Tag

Agree. The Fender Custom shop has it down. 95% of their instruments sound phenomenal.

shane8, SimAlex, Produktsumme and 6 others like this.
  10. Tag

Both the players and listeners in the test.

I would love to see this done with different woods. I would love to take part in it!

Dr Bonkers likes this.
  11. rudyyoko

rudyyoko Member

You forgot to throw speakers, cabinets (closed back and open), humbucker vs single coil, cord vs wireless... Now if you are talking tequila, wine, cognac, bourbon and whiskey I would be more than happy to participate in your blind test!

12. COYS

COYS Supporting Member

Despite what some people would say, it is noteworthy that professional violinists, both playing and listening, either can't tell the difference or often prefer the high-end modern instruments.

In this case, a certain one modern instrument was the most often favored. It wasn't a random between old and new, there was a clear preference.

I'm sure that we TGPers will just say that those Stradvari are probably "dogs" or "duds" and that tone is in the violinist's fingers, but nobody here has better ears than a concert violinist so I'll take their word for it. :cool:

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    ragnar, Grad, jrjones and 7 others like this.
  13. babadethkat

babadethkat Member

I think as humans we have to acknowledge the nostalgia effect. Classic cars resonate with a lot because it takes us back to an era when things were simpler. Stuff was generally made more by hand. The nostalgia effect can have a lot of effects on how we see and hear things. I'm guilty. But when prices go out of the reach of most of us we give up chasing them. Modern guitars can sound as good as the best vintage. In fact Squiers Classic Vibe and Vintage Modified takes me almost there, the Vintera range by Fender as far as I can go. They are more consistent because of machinery precision involved and there are less dogs. But you know if I had an original 56 Strat or a 1950 Broadcaster I'm sure I would say it was the Bees Knees. Id have to convince myself.

14. RRfireblade

RRfireblade Member

Construction, materials and understanding has been growing by Leaps and Bounds since the early days. Stuff being built today has the potential to be the best it has ever been, bar none. There's no reason to assume otherwise, except for the masses of people who have tons of money tied up in vintage gear and cannot accept the truth. For the record, I have some very expensive vintage gear. LOL. But I am realistic about that.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    younkint, Droliver, iamdavea and 4 others like this.
  15. TVa

TVa Supporting Member

The problem I always had with that test was it was done in a hotel room. I'm not a violinist, but I know with classical guitars--a "wet" concert space (or studio) will tell you a lot more about the character of the instrument.

WITH THAT SAID--I agree that with almost every instrument I know something about--high quality newer production or luthier made instruments are more likely to be consistent and beautiful sounding than vintage instruments. It's not a hard and fast rule though.

16. retro

retro Member

17. Jayyj

Jayyj Supporting Member

The thing I find frustrating about these studies and threads is that it all gets packaged with a 'gotcha' attitude to proving all the stupids wrong for drinking the koolaid and believing the hype, but all these studies really prove is that there's currently a trend in listening preferences towards modern instruments. Some ears will still prefer the originals and those people aren't giving the wrong answer.

People also seem to interpret it as proof that's all there is to these old instruments - a bunch of hype and corksniffing with no real substance to it, and that's totally missing the significance of them. Prefer a modern violin to a Strad, or a Custom Shop Strat or Les Paul to a 50s version? Fair enough, no issue with that, but the modern ones wouldn't be there without the original. The originals helped to shape music as we know it, were part of a symbiotic relationship with musical composition and creation. They're part of our musical history and they deserve to be revered, even if you personally would rather own a reissue.

I know there's the odd berk who thinks Gibson and Fender had cans of magic pixie dust that ran out around 1964 and no one was able to make a good guitar ever again, but the vast majority of people who are into vintage are well aware that we're living through a golden era of manufacture right now - it doesn't have to take away from the specialness of the originals.

It's a big world full of wonder, why not celebrate both things instead of seeing everything as an us against them narrative where someone has to be wrong?

18. Lauri Vennonen

Lauri Vennonen Member

I checked out some new hiend violins and they were just beautiful. Also heavily reliced. Hiend pianos like Steinways and Yamahas are usually pristine. Pianists don't like relics?

Litterick likes this.
  19. OldN'inTheWay

OldN'inTheWay Member

Competent musicians make good music. Itzhak Perlman will still sound phenomenal regardless of what violin he plays. It's the player, not the instrument. I believe the "vintage-is-better" myth is really more nostalgia than anything else. But, if that rows your boat, who I am to rain on your parade. If you can afford a 1958 'burst Les Paul or a custom color 1958 Stratocaster, enjoy yourself !

jrjones, Cousin, Alan Dunn and 3 others like this.