Vintage Sounds Deluxe Reverb mod?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockitcity, Feb 20, 2012.

1. rockitcity

rockitcity Member

I was browsing ebay today and found a site offering a Deluxe Reverb rebuild service here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Delu...914?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35afdb84fa

For $500, they will take your DRRI, strip out all the circuit boards, and replace the circuitry with hand-wired point-to-point wiring. Pictures look impressive, making the new amp seem just like an original.

Anyone here done this? Would it seem cost-effective vs. buying a boutique clone?

Just curious, as I picked up a new Blonde/wheat DRRI, and was wondering how this mod might change it. Not that I'm in any hurry, as I like the amp the way it is, but it's not the same as my original '65 blackface I sold a few years ago. (Actually, it seems quieter with break-up coming in at lower volume than I remember).

Opinions?

Bob

2. remocity

remocity Supporting Member

Rick Hayes is great!

3. riff1006

riff1006 Member

IMO you'd be better off selling the DRRI and taking that and the $500 and getting a nice SFDR or SFVR.

slider313 likes this.
  4. amarguitar

amarguitar Member

I ran across this thread when looking for more info about this service, which Vintage Sound still offers.

Have any of you sent a DRRI to VSA for this service?

5. sants

sants Supporting Member

honestly, I went through this a few years ago. I was going to go with a well known builder that does the handwired reissues. I took my DRRI and compared for about 2 hours. The handwired sounded only slightly better to my ear. A tad more open and nuanced but not the night and day I was expecting. I decided it wasn't worth it. I ended up putting that money towards other amps.

6. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

The difference would not be worth $500 to me.

7. throbert

throbert Member

George Alessandro has been doing this type of rework servicing for a number of years now. I've never heard any of those reworked amps but I'm sure they would sound good. Not sure I would sink money into a reissue. As previously suggested, you could probably do better with a SF and do some up-to-date servicing on one of those instead.