Vintage strat guys, I'm I getting close??**PICS**

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RJM/rydog2223, May 28, 2008.

1. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Yello out there! Heres the deal. I bought this 56' relic strat from Dave's about 5 months ago. Since that time I have been playing the heck out of it and done some very slight mods to it myself. The guitar is a light relic and thats the way I like em. I replaced all the plastic with Fatboy retrovibe PVC aka "bakelight" except for the pickguard which I may do in the future but I'm not sure. I have also done some finish checking here and there on the body ala the custom shop method to match some pics I have of real vintage 56' strats. Also I have placed a vintage style luxe cap in the wiring as well which was one of the best twenty bucks I have ever spent for tone. Nice and fat! All and all I think she is starting to look pretty good. Since I will NEVER be able to afford a real 56' I thought I would try to come as close as I can. Any feedback from you lucky vintage current and past owners would be great! Here are the pics....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :band

2. MSS

MSS Member

Nice guitar and it probably plays better than the real thing!! I think a lot of vintage guitars are no longer players; the newer reissues seem to be the ones you see on stages and in studios.

3. KBR

KBR Member

Looks good, what do the pups sound like, that is bottom line, to my ears?
    How much did the fat boy stuff run? pm me.

4. jiml

jiml Supporting Member

Noice! Love that 2 tone look! Love the rounded edges on those PU covers..

5. gerryguitar

gerryguitar Member

beautiful... just play the hell out of it and don't use guitar stands and it will relic itself soon enough...:p

6. majorledhead

majorledhead Member

I like it the way it is but could use some yellowing on the plastic and some amber on the maple to get the look. IMHO Bottom lnke though is how it sounds and feels. Also, Does it inspire you ?

7. russ

russ Supporting Member

Love the knobs!
    Is the switch tip replaced too? It looks modern.
    Nice guitar!

8. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Indeed! The only original plastic is the pickguard. the guitar inspires me for sure. Every time I take her out of the case it's like she is a new guitar all over again!

:BEER

9. ricoh

ricoh Member

Mark Jenny {the refinish guy} told me that the original "bakelight" was actually PVC and it did not yellow.

10. Pa'ani

Pa'ani Supporting Member

Great job! You are definitely on the right track. Very cool...

11. Formvar

Formvar Supporting Member

Looks good. Original bakelite does not yellow as another poster had said.

12. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Very nice, light relic just like I like em. Yeah the guards back then did not yellow. I have seen an all original 54 and it was just a bit dirty.

13. Shreve

Shreve Katzenjammer Kid Gold Supporting Member

St. Michaels, MD. Town that fooled the British
    I think it looks terrific. Forget the belt sander crap; easy to spot a mile away. Play it and enjoy, You done good!

14. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

The plastic looks right on. The fretboard wear is a difficult thing to replicate. Keep playing the heck out of it and it will start to look even better, it doesnt take as long as you'd think with a thin layer of nitro.

The '56 RI are my faves...I'm saving for a desert sand/gold guard version...OR a mid 50s gretsch jet.

15. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

The desert sands are nice! Do you guys think I should pull the trigger on the Fatboy pickguard or does the stock one look ok??

:BOUNCE

16. avincent52`

avincent52` Member

The Fatboy stuff is really nice. (Have you ordered direct? It's much cheaper.)
    The only problem with swapping a guard on a strat is all the assembly required. The current guard looks good though.
    The 50s guards, knobs and covers stayed very white. Again, love the fatboy stuff, and it's making me think about ordering some plastic for my strat.
    It's frustrating--I want to do a 59 with an eight hole three ply guard.
    I've seen them on Fender relics and Revelators, but the only one who sells such a beast is Callaham and his mint green is too green. Fatboy can't make me one either. Suggestions?

allen

17. RJM/rydog2223

RJM/rydog2223 Member

Hey there I ordered straight from his sight. Is there dealers that carry is stuff?? As far is the guard goes I believe there is a couple of vintage reissue plastic guys that may do it. One is DMC and the other is Angel Vibe... or something like that. Maybe someone else can chime in. I know the do vintage LP type stuff but my do strats as well. Good luck!
    :crazy

18. Cottage

Cottage Member

Break out the shoe polish!:hide

19. theanalogdream

theanalogdream Supporting Member

love it!
    The only thing is that the neck is beat to crap, yet the body isn't too beat up, but that will come with time. Also the plastic looks really white in the pictures. Other than that, sweet guitar man!

20. redtoploader

redtoploader Member

Hmmmm...the guard does look a bit darker than the other plastic. May want to switch but that's up to you....tough to tell from the pics.

Anyone know when fender switched away from bakelite on the knobs/pu covers? Did they start in '56? You start seeing yellowed plastic in '57.