Vintage Strat Saddle Screws

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Pythonman, Feb 26, 2012.

1. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

Does anyone know where to get bridge saddle screws for a vintage strat trem saddle set that are shorter than what comes on them new? Mine sit way above the top of the saddles and tear into the side of my hand. I tried shimming the neck with a very thin piece of plastic, like half the thickness of a playing card and the saddle height went up across the bridge to make up the difference and was fine but then the high strings would fret out on bends because of the shape of the frets I guess and the new angle the strings were hitting the frets. SO I'm back to the non-shimmed pocket and scratching up the side of my hand again. Thanks!

2. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

3. Pythonman

Pythonman Member

4. dshobe

dshobe Rocky Mountain Way Silver Supporting Member

Glad to help!

5. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

you'll want 1/4" tall for the Es, and 5/16" tall for the middle 4. (they come with 5/16" on the Es and 3/8" on the middle 4.)

swapping these for the shorter ones is a routine mod i do; i get mine in bulk from mcmaster-carr.

6. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

If you're already placing an order with Bill Callaham, you can get those shorter screws through him as well.

In addition to McMaster Carr, you also have www.boltdepot.com.

I do NOT recommend Small Parts.com. These guys will send you half your order, use up the shipping money, and then leave you still needing half the stuff you needed. If you are so dumb (me!) as to reorder and add some more items to make the cost of shipping less of a rape, they will send (once again) that new half of the order, use up the shipping money, and you still do not have the original second portion of the first order filled. And if you are incredibly stupid based on recommendations (not here) and try one more time (yeah, stupid me!!!!) they will do you the same thing one more time. And they tell you over the phone they have the parts right in their hands.

Don't mess with these clowns. The good guy that built the business up is long gone. I'd consider it a personal vindication if no one here ever bought from Small Parts. :(:(:(

7. LReese

LReese Member

This might not be kosher with the pros, but I've used a wire stripper/screw cutter to get the length just right on those height screws. Follow up with placing a slight bevel on the bottom to clean up the threads.

8. stormin1155

stormin1155 Member

I always remove mine and grind them to the correct length. Nothing worst than those sharp little things sticking out and ripping up your hand palm.

It's a bit tricky, since it's hard to hold the little buggers, and if you are using a power grinder, they can get red hot. I leave them on the end of the allen wrench and wrap a piece of masking tape around to hold them on. Grind to proper length then on an angle around the edge to give it a bevel.