Vintage Strat's at Songbirds Museum

Discussion in '"Vintage" Instruments' started by sikoniko, Nov 12, 2017.

1. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

You have to love the expression in the reflection.

Eugene likes this.
  2. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

After all of that amazing gear.......this is what you choose to comment on??? Ridiculous......lol!!!

willyboy likes this.
  3. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

No. These great instruments, and the reader, deserve some respect. Careful writing is the respect for the reader.

Dashface and mlongano like this.
  4. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

The reader can take himself to Chattanooga and avoid the thread if he feels so inclined to nit-pick.

Btw, thanks for cementing my decision to not post the Les Paul’s, V’s, and Explorers. Not worth the effort.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2017
  5. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

Yes, I was in awe seeing George Fullerton’s personal custom Strat. One of the stars of the collection in my view.

CharlieS likes this.
  6. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

No doubt! I loved it.

7. 55hz

55hz Member

This makes me want to buy all of that rounded 50’s plastic for my Strat...

Oh yeah! And go visit!

8. Telebluze

Telebluze Gold Supporting Member

Man, ignore that goof-ball.......you know the old saying, "there's (at least) one in every crowd"!!

Post the pics bro!! LOL!!

Bob Pollock and willyboy like this.
  9. IPLAYLOUD

IPLAYLOUD Member

These guitars are behind glass...most of the time...at Chattanooga or display and safety.
    The guitars in The Vault are very accessible.
    They get swapped out every so often back to their respective owners who play them.

10. Man with Gas

Man with Gas Member

Whilst I'm falling over myself looking at many of these extreme beauties, I believe they should be out there getting played.

As I get older my belief is it's an unhealthy practice locking them up.
    We have photos plus many examples under glass. To continue this is nothing more than an ego thing. 'I've got em and you aint'

Havng said that I respect the guy's procurement skills but that's all it is.

Thanks for making the effort and posting for us all.

11. claudel

claudel Member

What a waste.

I hope none of my old guitars wind up in a place like that.

Hari Seldon likes this.
  12. Vibroluxman

Vibroluxman Member

Very fun. My sister lives there. New goal for my next trip!

13. willyboy

willyboy Member

Wow some spectacular examples and wonderful colours. Thanks for posting those!

14. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

for all those that complain about these guitars not being played, the reality is that there are tons of vintage instruments in private collections NOT being played. If we accept that reality, then we can consider that at least these collectors are sharing their collection with the general public to have the opportunity to experience a level of access that most will not otherwise have.

willyboy, 67blackcherry and CharlieS like this.
  15. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

access = behind glass

???

16. sikoniko

sikoniko Member

they have started a program that allows people to play instruments. I think its over-priced at this point and hope they lower the price, but its a good first-step.

and yes, access behind glass is still access. It's a hell of a lot different seeing a guitar on the internet and seeing one in person.

You don't have to go. but complaining about it isn't going to change the fact some people collect for collecting sake. Take Dirk Ziff, for example. His collection is only shared with his closest friends. It's said he has the largest collection of bursts. all those guitars hidden away in a vault.

willyboy and Bob Pollock like this.
  17. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon Member

I don't know what you mean with "complaining". Isn't this a discussion forum? It's for expressing opinions, among other things.

[opinion]: allowing fans to squeeze their nose against glass is not really givin access. It's more like showing off one's valuable collectibles.[/opinion]

But that's ok. I like seeing fine instruments, too.

18. CharlieS

CharlieS Member

Thanks for posting the pics. Behind glass or being played doesn't matter to me. Players can always find another guitar to play...I didn't realize that there was a guitar shortage--even for vintage. For all I know, my guitars will end up in the trash when I'm gone. I'm not going to worry about it.

19. slowerhand

slowerhand Supporting Member

Exactly. I wonder if those offended at the thought of a guitar ending up in a museum also want to argue that ancient Roman vases should be in someone's home holding flowers, or if they go to a car museum, look at a Ford Model T and think to themselves: "what a shame, this baby ought to be out there doing road trips!"

IMO a lot more people get to enjoy them in museums. I'm not saying they should all be, but it certainly doesn't bother me.

A couple of months ago I was in the ESP vintage guitar museum (a small one) in Shibuya and saw 10+ vintage Strats and many other nice guitars (until last year they had close to 10 LP bursts but most seem to be gone now). Is it really better that these guitars are in private hands, instead of thousands of people a month getting great joy from seeing them?

Even if it's sitting in a glass case in a private collection, the owner is helping preserve it for future generations.

telelion, CharlieS and sikoniko like this.
  20. telelion

telelion Member

Yeah, I really can't blame them for not letting the customer wank on the prototype 1954 Spruce Stratocaster. In regards to the previous two posts, this is from an article on the collection. (And where are the LP pics Sikoniko?)

“I want to be a cultivator for the local music scene. In Chattanooga, we are always looking for a place where the local musicians can have opportunities. We have such great local talent here.”

Davidson says: “Songbirds features exceptional quality guitars that play well, sound well and have a place in history.

“All the guitars were chosen for not one of those reasons — but all of those reasons.”

He continues, “Songbirds is an art, history and cultural museum blended together.”

Vince Gill has his eyes on the future: “I think if we have the opportunity to reach the young people and get them inspired to understand and fall in love with some of these great old instruments, it will perpetuate the history of all these instruments, and they will go on to live for another 100 years — and be respected and be revered.

slowerhand likes this.