Vintage style tuners for '98 American Standard Tele

pjyman

I would like to change out the stock tuners on my Am Std tele with a vintage set. Any recommendations?
Also, will I need bushings?

New here and looking forward to all this site has to offer.
Thanks.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
You'll have to have bushings. The Am Std. set are a much bigger hole.
Why the change? THe Am Std. tuners work well.

Welcome to the gear page!

pjyman

You'll have to have bushings. The Am Std. set are a much bigger hole.
Why the change? THe Am Std. tuners work well.

Welcome to the gear page!
The change is purely cosmetic. Every so often I get the urge to modify. Recently, I purchased the Texas Special pickups and a four way switch which I have yet to install.

big mike

Cathode biased
the texas specials are nice. the 4 way switch is interesting...never quite been my cup of tea but many love it.

If it was me I'd leave the stock tuners or upgrade to locking. The vintage are a step back in my personal opinion, but it is a look.

cardinal

Gotoh makes some nifty vintage-style locking and height-adjustable tuners. I have a set on a Strat. They look cool and work great.

cardinal

Not too much trouble. I assume you'll need some conversion bushings. I used some Gotoh ones that were a bit too large so had to ream the holes out a bit. This neck had never been drilled for tuners, so no issues making the new holes. Just make sure it's all straight before drilling (eg, clamp a board tknthr headstock for a straight edge, etc.).

They're easy enough to use. Maybe over complex, but if you want a staggered, locking, vintage-style tuner, this is the only option AFAIK.

walterw

the stock tuners are indeed high quality, but it's the vintage style for me too; fender split-post FTW!

gotoh makes excellent ones, and yes you'll need the adapter bushings. (not big on the tricky self-locking height-adjustable ones, but they are well-made like all gotoh stuff.)

Trending Topics