Vintage Sunn 6x12 Cabinet - Should I?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Turbozag, Feb 10, 2006.

1. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

I found a Sunn 6x12 cab that appears from the 70's or maybe 80's. It's has 6 12-inch speakers that all appear original. I haven't taken the back off, but I think they are JBL speakers... The cabinet is monsterous.. But I can get it for $250. Should I? I wonder what the Dr Z Route 66 or even my Mesa Boogie Mark II would sound like through that monster!?

2. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

My bandmate came up with an empty 4/12 Sunn a while back- mounted a pair of 12's- sounded good but what an unmanagable lump! About 15+% bigger than a Marshall- the 6/12 must be refrigerator size!! JBL's- ouch- great deal if....

3. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Yea it's big. Not quite fridge size, but getting there...

I noticed the wood it's made of is thick too.

I have been trying to find out what speakers they are. But it seems like Sunn was using JBLs in their cabs...

I'm going over there tomorrow with an ohm-meter and an electric screwdriver...

Anyone know anything about these big-boys?

I also read they made a 6x10 cab as well.

4. mc5nrg

mc5nrg Supporting Member

Good thing you plan on checking the impedance.Some of those early 70s cabs were for the SS Concert Lead and Concert Bass models and may not be what you have in mind.

5. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    This is my Sunn 610L with a Beta Lead on top. Actually sounds better with age. I think those capacitors and such getting older have tamed it's sterile little heart! Unique tone from the cabinet...sounds great with an acoustic guitar throught it, and ripping shred tone can be had with the right stomp boxes. The impedance is 6 ohms!

[​IMG]

6. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Interesting. I used to have a Sunn Beta Lead 2x12 combo. It was cool, stereo, and you could run two different sounds through separate speakers.

Now the 6x12 cab I am looking at is silver faced, and looks 70's-ish.. The speakers have aluminum dust-covers. One input on back, and two carry handles on the long side...

What impedence should I expect out of this thing? I guess I should open her up and test each speaker...

Anyone know if $250 is a good price?

They seem to be kinda rare, and are prized by some bass players evidently.

7. fakeox

fakeox Member

Sunn used to use a speaker with an aluminium cap & a small felt black circle in the middle(Eminence?)

8. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

That's what these appear to be.
    I didn't know they used Eminence...

Anyone know what this bad-boy is worth?

9. fakeox

fakeox Member

If you WANT it, it's an OK deal.

10. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

It's not really known who made the speakers with the aluminum domes and the black felt dot. I've heard guesses of Emminence as well as Utah and CTS. There's no markings on them and Emminence usually labled their speakers. They sound fine. The cabs are shallow for their size, so they don't tend to have as much thump as a similar Marshall bottom (or Orange or Hiwatt) but can sound very good. They're not worth a lot-a cab can sell in the $200-300 range, if you have the head to go with it maybe $800 for the set (and they are a pain to ship). So, I wouldn't buy it as an investment, and I wouldn't buy it if you don't have room for it ;) because selling it again could be a problem.

11. Reeek

Reeek Member

All the speakers I've encountered (many) with that dust cover description are Eminence. If the code is 67-xxxx (4 other numbers), it's an Eminence. I am staring at a 15" Eminence with that code and dust cover description right next to me as I type even.

Sano (I'm a Sano owner and lover) used these speakers as stock. Unfortunately, every 12 inch vintage Eminence I had in my two Sano 160R's had voice coil rub so they are now blessed with some ceramic Weber Blue Dogs. A perfect speaker for these amps which are about 14-16 watts, dual EL84, diode rectified. Loud and proud for their wattage and oh so beautiful to hear.

As for a 6x12 loaded with REAL JBL's that are in working order, that would be about $1800 worth of JBL's by conservative eBay prices if they're D-120's.

12. Turbozag

Turbozag Senior Member

Just checked it, and the output jack measures just under 22 ohms. Not what I expected...

The guy cam down to $125 out the door!

But for reasons mentioned in an above post, I am still on the fence....

13. Reeek

Reeek Member

If those speakers are the Eminence, for the size and hassle factor of the cab, I'd personally let it go unless I was able to test the speakers for functionality. 6 nice vintage Eminence are probably worth more than $125 but as I said, every one I've encountered had some level of voice coil rub. Also, if you were to consider gutting the cab for the speakers, keep in mind that each one is probably in the 20 to 25 watt power handling capacity range (if the cab is a silverface) so if you were to load them in a 2x12, your amp can't be too powerful to drive them. You'd be limited to a 30-ish watt amp figuring that old vintage speakers aren't as robust as say, a new Weber where you could probably figure 10%-20% more than the listed power handling capacity.

But, if the speakers are in good working order, I'll bet they would sound great in a 2x12 for a low powered tube amp for sure ;)