1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Vintage TEISCO Model ET-440 Electric Guitar

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by free511, Mar 23, 2006.

1. free511

free511 Member

I am new to this site and I mainly want to see what my guitar is worth. It was given to me over 20 years ago and I never took up playing guitar (I used to play drums). I would appreciate any info I might be able to get on it. I do know that it is a TEISCO Model ET-440 Electric Guitar and I think it is from the '60s
    Thanks,
    John.........

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

3. free511

free511 Member

Thanks, Pete for the tip. I would say mine is in as good condition. I don't think it was ever really played much. The case pictured on eBay is said to be the original case...is that true? It looks like an acoustic case to me, but I don't know much about it. Thanks again.
    John........

4. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

That looks like an acoustic guitar case to me too. But the headstock end does sort of bend like it was made for that guitar.

I don't know anything about Teisco guitars though. I was curious when you mentioned having one, so I checked to see if myrareguitars.com was selling anything similar first, and he wasn't, so I checked Ebay.

I think there used to be a guy writing a column for Guitar Player Magazine who wrote using the alias Teisco Delray. Maybe someone else here remembers those columns.

Pete

5. Brian D

Brian D Member

Yeah Pete, there was a Guitar Player column writer who went by that name. I seem to recall that he did used guitar reviews and had a goatee?

I had a Teisco that was similar to yours Free, only mine had three pickups and a brushed metal pickguard. The thing was toast when I got it (my first electric guitar), but I did learn my first chords on that hunk of plywood!

Teiscos enjoy a cult status among funky old guitar collectors. You can find some history and information on the Teisco Twangers Paradise
    website.

Good luck!

6. free511

free511 Member

I am planning to sell this guitar and was testing the waters on craigslist SF Bay Area today. I have a guy offering me $500 for it. What do you guys think? Also, thanks Pete and Brian for your responses. I did check out Teisco Twangers, but their forum no longer links up.
    Thanks,
    John...........

7. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

Tough call!

I don't know that guitar's market value, so I'm probably not a good person to ask.

But if some guy had $500 *CASH* in his hand, and he was ready to make a deal, I'd sell it in a heartbeat. Partly because IMO that guitar is cooler than it is good, and it might be hard to find another person that fanatical about Teisco guitars.

And there're a few guitars that I'm considering buying that cost less than that.

You might try contacting Mike at myrareguitars www.myrareguitars.com
    and see if he's interested in buying it.

Pete

8. Brian D

Brian D Member

I think that sentence might sum up Teisco Guitars in a nutshell!

I'm sorry as well John, but I have no experience with buying/selling Teiscos (or any guitar for that matter) so I really can't offer any sound advice. Off the top of my head $500 sounds good to me as well, but who can say if that one isn't an ultra-rare 4-pickup Teisco twanger that fanatics will pay $1000 for or something? If you want to be safe, I'm sure somebody will come along with some better advice here as I do recall a few previous Teisco threads.

Also, have you tried putting it up in the Emporium here?

9. free511

free511 Member

I think the $500 is definitely a good offer from what I've seen out there. The one that you are showing me for $599 is a bit beat up, and this makes me second guess. I imagine that besides the guitar being fairly rare, it is also rare to find one in near mint condition...this has to be a major factor. Does anyone have a collector book that might list a book value?

Thanks again for all the responses. Also, I tried to list it in the for sale section on this forum, but I do not have access for some reason. I imagine this is because I just registed on this site.

John...........

10. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

There's something about why you can't sell it there yet in the FAQ:

And I agree with splatt about:

There'd be an off chance that myrareguitars might base a Teisco copy on it, but my guess is that he looks for good deals.

Pete

11. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

Hey John-
    Pete Galati hit the nail on the head-
    Remember that one that's for sale is FOR SALE- not bought at that price. I could put used underpants for sale at $599 a pop- it doesn't mean anyone's buying them.

I'm not trying to insult your guitar- it's in beautiful shape- but we're not talking about the quintessence of luthiership here.

12. free511

free511 Member

Good advice from everyone! Thank you. I think that I will probably take the $500.
    John.......