Vintage Tele bridge saddles break strings

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by imonabuss, Feb 19, 2009.

1. imonabuss

imonabuss Supporting Member

I have a great Tele that is made of old Fender parts other than the pickups (Fralin). I have a huge problem breaking strings with it, right where they cross the saddles. After half a dozen gigs where I break a string after only three songs, I've parked it. In looking at it I see clearly that the strings are tangling with the sharp edges on the height adjusters, which cut in and cause the breaks. Are there any replacement saddles that have a groove or something that hold the strings away from these adjusters?

2. guitarmook

guitarmook Member

www.glendaleguitars.com

their saddles are actually a tone improvement, are adjusted for better intonation, and will come with new height adjustment screws. Just keep the old ones around somewhere.

3. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

why are they up againts the screws?

4. Nashville Slim

Nashville Slim Member

What gauge strings are you using? I use 11s on my Teles, all have vintage three barrel saddles (one with Glendales, which I agree are amazing), and I can't remember the last time I broke a string. And I bend and strum like my arm is trying to get off a chain.

5. jtm622

jtm622 Member

I use 9's on mine (it has 3 brass saddles) and I never break strings either. (I change them after 2-3 gigs, though.)

6. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I never break strings on my Vintique or Glendale 3 barrel saddle bridges.

7. imonabuss

I use 11's, and I play hard. But of all my guitars this is the only one with an issue. Why are the strings up against the screws? Damn if I know why they wouldn't actually. They are close to the screws and seem to slide over on the barrel as I play, and get snagged on the sharp corners of the screw or the threads in the hole. But it must not happen to everyone or Teles would never m,ake it! Auuuggghhh! This is so frustrating! I never was into Teles, but I love the way this one sounds. If I bring it even to a practice my bandmates go "Oh no, here we go more broken strings."

8. imonabuss

OK, I'm buying a set of Glendale saddles. Lord they are expensive, aren't they. But if they fix it, it surely will be worth it. Thanks all for the advice.

9. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

How high is your action? To raise mine any higher Id need to put nickels underneath and only the top and bottom screws are even exposed.

You could try the threaded steel saddles but that will change your sound somewhat, maybe better who knows.

Glendales are amazing! Ive got a set on my Esquire and it really did 'improve' the tone especially when chording you get a much fuller/richer sound...Ive kept the trad ones on my 52RI Tele however.

10. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I was playing a Japanese Fender Tele Custom for a while, it had the three steel saddles on it and I was breaking strings right and left on that. Too bad because it actually was a great guitar.

Al

11. ganzosrevenge

ganzosrevenge Member

go look at callaham's tele saddles... their strat stuff is amazing, I wouldn't expect anything less from their tele division.

Jason

12. ThugLife

ThugLife Member

Awesome!!! I bought a set this winter and the tone that comest out of my '69 thinline is unreal!! Plus, I haven't broken a string yet

13. Southern ILL

Southern ILL Member

Use file and sand paper and smooth the area around the barrel adjuster...or a Dremel for a quicker fix....I've set up the whole bridge like this on mine. Smooth and no scratches on me right hand.....Simple fix for what sounds like a killer tele....Don't park it.....Fix it. Enjoy.

14. imonabuss

Thanks again for the info. I've been searching around on other saddle related threads, and found that I and Zoombiwoof are not alone. One guy mentioned that he filed a string guide slot on the back of the barrel, but not over the top so it doesn't affect the intonation. If the Glendales don't fix it, I may try that or the idea of blending with sandpaper or dremel like SouthernILL suggests.

My adjuster screws are varied in that some are below the surface and some slightly above. I've kept track of which strings broke though and both ways seem to break them. So if I sand, I'm going to soften the edge of the barrel chamfer where the screws are below, and round off the thread tips on where they are above the barrel.

I agree it's worth fixing; this is the guitar that converted me to really liking Teles!