Vintage Tele bridge with ZERO "ashtray" sides?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by MrMoose, Dec 4, 2017.

1. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Basically looking for a tele bridge that is the size of the first picture (designed for the classic 3 saddles & fits a vintage route) but with NO SIDES AT ALL, like the second picture. Also should be good quality.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

3. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Look again at the “Rutters Modern Bridge”
    it's the second from the top, I have the Rutters chopped bridge on my #1 and the way his bridge brought more detail is a big part of how the guitar became my #1

4. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

I think you are correct about the glendale all having some amount of side rails

5. rkharper

rkharper Member

the Rutters Modern Bridge is for the 3 Screw American Standard Bridge, not for the 4 Screw Vintage Bridge.

MrMoose likes this.
  6. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

That's correct, it's not for a vintage route, otherwise it would have been perfect

7. rkharper

rkharper Member

maybe you could ask Callaham or Rutters to do a one off? they both have the one with no sides, but american standard 3 screw.....

MrMoose likes this.
  8. scr@tchy

scr@tchy Member

Arrgh, the dreaded 3 vs 4 screw problem, I thought I would have noticed that since I struggled with it back when I found Rutters. Sorry!

rkharper likes this.
  9. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Member

I went down this road years ago, the bridge you're looking for doesn't exist and can't be made, here is why... The pickup hole route is too close to the edge of the bridge, the "side" even when ground down gives support to that area. On the second picture, with no side, the bridge has to be a little wider to add more material to that area.
    The closest you can get is this...
    https://hipshotproducts.com/collections/guitar-bridges/products/telecaster-retrofit-bridge
    It's the vintage mounting and will be a direct retrofit, it's just a little wider than the vintage footprint.
    This Hipshot bridge is the result of my pursuing the same thing you are years ago, I designed and requested they make this bridge.

pressure, Ayrton, MrMoose and 2 others like this.
  10. doublescale1

doublescale1 Suhr S-Classic Gold Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    There's your answer. RadackGuitars did the ground work for you. Those Tele bridges look great.

11. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

I'm curious about the ZERO side requirement.....of course anyone can want whatever they want, but is there a playing style issue here or is it purely an aesthetic choice? I can't imagine that the edges stopping at the barrels would cause any playing issues.

12. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

AMAZING! Thanks so much for this info RadackGuitars, that likely explains why you don't really see any other examples of this bridge. Wonderful! :)

13. RadackGuitars

RadackGuitars Member

No problem, hopefully saved you some time going down the rabbit hole. If you're interested in the Hipshot bridge I think I have an extra one, I've mostly been using Gotoh bridges lately.

MrMoose likes this.
  14. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Wouldn't the different hole spacing be covered up by the bridge, i.e. won't be seen?

16. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

The string holes are also in a completely different spot - it's a mess! :)

rhinocaster likes this.
  17. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

They sure are. The "Modern" holes are closer together and scootched up the body, and this changes everything. Everything.

++

++

On another point, my personal sense is, a bridge is no longer "vintage" if it has zero edge, anywhere, along the sides. Because, the .048 steel won't perform correctly without the reinforcement of at least a little rudimentary edge, down below the barrels. After all, once the barrel is there, it hardly matters if there's edge or not South of the barrel. The right hand/fingers will hang up on the barrels before they hang up on an edge way down by the through holes.

And, if you increase the thickness of the plate to something like .075, that ain't gonna sound like "vintage" either. There's great bridges from Marc Rutters, and Bill Callaham, and Hipshot and Gotoh that are thicker (and heavier) but they don't function in the same way a .048 (approximate) thickness plate functions. Especially if you're looking for that "on the verge of feeding back" sound.

If you ever get a chance to borrow a Glendale plate, I recommend you at least try it out - see what you think. Another approach is to buy the $ 12 FMIC sourced MIM '52 style plate and cut/grind portions of the edge off and try it along the way and maybe see how the bridge loses its integrity if you go too far and take too much off. I've experimented with some, that kinda worked for a couple weeks before failure.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2017
    MrMoose and pressure like this.
  18. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Thanks for that Boris! Really interesting read! :)

19. paperair

paperair Supporting Member

The #6 bridge in this pic is one of a bunch I had made up that seem like they'd fit your needs. I have a few extra, message me if you're interested:

[​IMG]

MrMoose likes this.