Vintage Telecaster neck specs

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by bterry, Feb 10, 2012.

1. bterry

bterry Member

My '55 Telecaster has the most amazing soft V shaped neck, seems to measure about 1" thick at the 12th fret and a hair smaller at the nut.

Were there a lot of variations on these necks or are they all in that ballpark for that period? Strats as well?

I have never played such a 'big' neck that was so comfortable. The nut width is a few mm over 1 5/8.

BT

2. Bill

Bill Member

I have a 55 Tele and it is exactly as you described. I also have a 55 Strat and the neck on it is a bit larger and is a C shape. It has the largest neck I have played on a 50s Strat. My 54 Strat has a small neck. The necks varied pretty widely during that general period.

3. bterry

bterry Member

Ah, interesting. Whomever made the '55 Tele necks of ours was really on to something :)

4. pbmw

pbmw Member

I have a 67 Tele. It's a C shape I guess you'd call it.
    I really like it. Have for years.

5. tweedfix

tweedfix Silver Supporting Member

6. gmann

gmann Member

Man you need to get some good guitars! I have a '56 Esquire and it's neck is exactly as you describe yours. Pretty big, I love it!

7. loudboy

loudboy Member

I have a '57 and it has a nice "V" but it's not what I'd call fat at all...

8. Bill

Bill Member

They sure were. I acquired mine about 12-15 years ago from the original owner who purchased it new, in California. Mine is 100% original with honest wear. It had flat wound strings on it and never had a screw turned on it until I looked it over. I have left it stock and never take it out of the studio.

9. Bill

Bill Member

A good friend has a 56 Strat and his guitar has a small neck but with a V profile. It is his favorite Strat out of a sizable collection. I had a 56 many years ago and mine also had a small neck with a V profile. It just depended on who carved your neck out on any given day.