Vintage Thomas Int. Corp. Wah Question

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by CaptRonJon, Aug 13, 2008.

1. CaptRonJon

CaptRonJon Member

I just went to a vintage guitar shop around the corner just to see what they had. Usually good stuff but today was a good day... 2002 PRS Custom 22, 1968 Fender Showman head (Silverface) with cab, and this... a Thomas International Corporation Cry Baby wah. When I walked in, I wasn't going to by anything.... ha. I walk to the counter to look at this wah pedal. I start talking about how I am already getting one of my wahs modded by JHS mods and I flip this wah over and notice, it's not like my other two... It's older. Not sure of the year but I knew it was better than both the other two wah's I have which is a GCB-95 and a GCB-95F (soon to be Super Wah by JHS). The stick was $40. I bought it. I just want to know what I am sitting on so if anyone knows anything about dating this wah, let me know what I have. This is what it reads on the bottom...

CRY-BABY
    MODEL 95-910511
    SER. NO. 2072024

THOMAS INTERNATIONAL CORP.
    CHICAGO, ILLINOIS
    PATENTED​

2. Jet Bycraft

Jet Bycraft Member

I have that exact same unit. Mid to late 70's? :confused:...maybe someone will chime in and let us know.

3. Ramhead

Ramhead Member

4. chaz

chaz Member

I have that same one. Not anything special really, just OK. These were the first ones made in the U.S. that came out after the Italian made Vox wahs became popular.

5. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

The chicago ones are usually good, with the brown inductor. Date code can sometimes be found on the pot.

6. ethan walker

ethan walker Supporting Member

Those are pretty good wahs, they must have sold a ton of them because there's a lot of them around. The brown "stack of dimes" inductor is considered to be better than the TDK. They have a lot of hand wiring and are good to mod. Sound-wise, I find them to be a little muted sounding, kind of a basic pretty good wah. I'd take one over a standard Dunlop any day.

Ethan

7. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

had mine since I was a teen...great wah. my pot died so put in a fulltone and a grat wah became an amazing wah ....gets that beck hendrix tone. did a gig with a guy who had an old vox ....mine was it equal...40$ was a deal

8. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

Correct. Vox and Crybaby wahs were identical inside.Only the outside and badge were different from around 1967 on.70 vox was also a 70 crybaby,etc,etc.

9. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

never knew that once thought of buying an old Vox ..glad i did not

10. Dr. Jimmy

Dr. Jimmy Member

The Chicago ones came after the Sepulveda, CA models (which usually had the square TDK inductors) are are generally from around the late 70's. Nice sounding pedals after a few mods (red fasel inductor, swap resistor values etc...)

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

I actually like those wahs a good bit and even thought the TDK inductor takes a beating on the internet about sounding bad they sound much better than most guys would lead on...the stack of dimes inducter might have the edge but both still sound very good and recent prices are too good to beat to be honest!

12. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

To clarify,Thomas Organ had plants in Calif and Chicago at the same time.East Coast and West Coast distribution.That is how things used to be done.Thomas International came about towards the end of production,prior to Jimmy D.. TDK and SOD inductors were found in Both wahs. Keith

MIM#1 likes this.
  13. sixty2strat

sixty2strat Member

odd tip on the thomas wahs ....I used a digital battery,when my fuzz pattery died and had no more carbon batteries, so pulled it from the wah and put a digital in it. The wah just had more flavor, seemed to just sound better.

14. John H

John H Silver Supporting Member

Not according to Geoffrey Teese, who modded mine and told me to leave the TDK inductor alone.

15. bandofthieves™

bandofthieves™ Member

There are good and bad with both.I'm sure Geoffrey told you that as well.They varied..Your wah probably had a good one,and Geoffrey being the way he is was not going to sell you hype.He knows a good sounding wah when he hears one.I hate these hacks that mod a perfectly good wah to sound different and wana make you think it is better.No need to fix it if it ain't broke.;)