vintage tinting a really light maple neck?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by matacus, Oct 20, 2008.

1. matacus

matacus Supporting Member

Is there a best way to do this? I've read that using Kiwi brown shoe polish will darken it up nicely, but I want to know exactly how I should do it so I don't fudge it up.

Thanks!!

2. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Senior Member

Reranch.com sells vintage amber tint in a spray by itself or in aerosol form mixed with lacquer. I've never heard of using shoe polish. Seems like it would come off on your hands all the time.

3. Chris Scott

Chris Scott Silver Supporting Member

Shoe polish is wax - no lacquer will stick to it if you intend to spray it afterwards.

The Reranch tip is the way to go, I'd reckon - unless you want to leave the neck bare, which is not a good idea either (most mfgrs. void their warranty if no sealing finish is applied)

4. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

If you don't have a spray rig go to Bill over at Reranch and get the tinted lacquer...really hard to screw it up if you read his online tutorial. That guy's the man Fender goes to when they have a question...really.

5. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Never heard that one before. Does he make FMIC wait 3 weeks also?

I recommend Behlen Jet Spray, tinted nitro in high quality rattle cans. Try "Maple", "Light Fruitwood" and/or "Brown Mahogany" tints. The cans are about $ 7.50 each (or it is less?) available through Woodworker's Supply out of Albuquerque, New Mexico. You can round out your order with rattle can gloss clear, which will bring the per can price down even more. Or you can use Deft rattle can nitro. No crummy defective ReRanch cans.

You're making a sandwich, clear, then more clear and more, then very little tinted nitro, then several more coats of clear. Looks great, very durable. There's enough tint in one can to do 15 necks, or to do one neck 15 times until you think it is perfect. (Less is more.)

Bubbanov

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

Fender actually calls Reranch for information? If that's so he is "da man"

7. Gris

Gris Member

Get the Reranch vintage amber tint in dry flakes. Buy some real lacquer and thinner. Mix the flakes in the thinner, then add to lacquer. For doing necks the little 'disposable' glass jar aerosol sprayers that you get at home depo work just fine. Be sure to clean and dry the neck well before spraying. Doesn't hurt to sand with 600 first. Tape the frets with blue masking tape. Let it dry well before spraying second coat and/or buffing. Use rubbing compound and polish from auto parts store to buff.

8. Kingbeegtrs

Kingbeegtrs Senior Member

yes. Bill is da man.

I quit using his stuff because the wait was always long. He is a busy guy for a reason. I actually bought a pro spray rig and learned how to make my own colors - not only is it cheaper but it produces superior results. But, as I said in the original post - if you don't have a spray rig and you're just doing a couple of guitars Reranch is the way to go. As a matter of fact, I think its the only way to go.

Chinese proverb: the king of the mountain wasn't pushed up there

Bill is the king of the mountain when it comes to knowledge of Fender paint

on another note: I thought that one of the rules of this board was to not say negative things about people. Bill at Reranch is a very respected supplier who has helped a great number of people learn how to refinish guitars...including me. If you go to my site and look at my finish work you will find that it is exceptional...and that is mostly due to what Bill has taught me.