Vintage Traynor Mark 3??? Opinions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by myronchild, Feb 14, 2009.

1. myronchild

myronchild Member

Looking for some advice as I'm not too familiar with Traynor amps. A local shop has a Traynor Mark 3 combo, I think also known as the YGL-3, with some old JPL's in it. They'd like to keep the JBL's to sell separately but they were willing to sell the amp for $350 without the speakers, I've got some Greenbacks I could toss in it. I've been looking for something like a Super Reverb/Twin Reverb and this seems very similar as far as the set up, normal and vibrato channels.

2. Franktone

Franktone Member

I once owned a Mark II. I never owned a Mark III, but tried one a long time ago. It is loud like a twin, got to be about a hundred watts, and is heavey or heavier than a twin, as far as can be remembered. Don't believe that the earlier ones have a master volume, so it will be very loud, and clean. It will have big iron (transformers) on board, and built like a tank, with top quality parts and wiring. This amp is from the days when Traynor believed that great amps were loud, clean, and could conquer everyone. It is a great machine. Are you sure your ears are up to it?

3. 57special

57special Silver Supporting Member

superb quality, very good tone, and eminently tweakable. Hope your back is up to it.

4. cugel

cugel Member

i had one. monster amp and well build and lots of power . i put some weber thames innit and did some convincing pete windmills

5. myronchild

myronchild Member

yeah, this is a master volume one so I'd be able to keep the volume in check, from Traynor's website it looks to be 80watts, not sure if I need that kind of power, being that I'm using a Superlead at 50 watts and that's deafening.

6. Ronsonic

Ronsonic Member

Big, loud tasty amp.

You'll need more than a couple of greenbacks to handle it, especially in an open back. I'd go G12-65s, but that's always my answer for open back cabs.

7. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

We have the head version (YGL-3A) of that amp. Big trannies, well made, super easy to open up and work on. 4xEL34's, tremolo, reverb (EL-84), and the master volume does a good job. More like a Fender than a Marshall. It is big and heavy, but if you need some reliable horse power I think you will be pretty happy with it. I actually think 350 is a pretty fair price, even without the speakers. There are plenty of other speakers to choose from. Just mind the power rating, there are a lot of Eminence speakers that will work well in that amp.
    Good Luck

8. Lammy

Lammy Member

Yeah, I was going to say. Have you tried picking it up? Vintage traynors are great.

9. myronchild

myronchild Member

It seems like a great deal but I think I'm going to pass on it for now, seems to be a bit more wattage then what I'm looking for in a combo.

10. cugel

cugel Member

but you can pull tubes!
    thats what i did
    read the article by kevin oconnor at london power
    i pulled three tubes on my markIII at times
    this is a very misunderstood practice, of coure the amp was fine ie no harm done

11. plato67

plato67 Member

I have 3 Mark III's. I like them alot for what I play. As I play in a Classic Rock cover band I get all my OD from pedals. They have great headroom and take pedals very well. I've got one modded to take KT88's, one with the original EL34 Mullards (some used Traynors still have the original tubes in them!) and one I was running 6L6's in, but have since changed to JJ6V6's.
    The JJ6V6 is by far my favourite. They cleans are nice and "sparkly", for lack of a better term.

ALL Mark III's have a Master Volume. FWIR Pete Traynor had a MV in his amps WAY before any other amp designer. I prefer the look of the earlier models, but I don't think anything changed inside when Traynor went to a different cosmetic in the mid-late 70's. I picked my first one up for 200 sans speakers. The stock Marsland speakers were crap anyways, so figure on replacing them anyways. I have Private Jacks in my 6V6 version and love the tone.

12. JTM fan

JTM fan Member

I would say the YGL-3a is like a Fender Twin with EL34s.

OD pedals are a must since the amp is so clean......and when the gain controls are max'd the low end gets a little loose.

13. Clapton is God

Clapton is God Supporting Member

I have the head version too. GREAT amp!! Heavy as hell. If I dime the channel volume, I can get some decent crunch at around 2 on the MV. Could someone point me in the direction of where I can get more info on pulling the power tubes for watt reduction? I'd love to experiment with that. Thanks.

14. plato67

plato67 Member

From what I've read, pull the 2 middle OR the 2 outer tubes. I think this changes the amp from 4 ohms to 8 ohms as well.

15. Clapton is God

Can't the head run at either 4 or 8 ohms anyway? I found the owners manual online, and I don't have it with me right now, but it said something like "plug in either one or two of the following cabs"; and they listed two 4 ohm cabs, and one 8 ohm. Thanks.

16. Clapton is God

Also, if the amp has a 4 ohm load, wouldn't pulling 2 tubes make it a 2 ohm load now?

17. plato67

plato67 Member

Good question. I always thought it went the other direction. Maybe someone more tech-minded will jump in. Anyways, I've read the trannys in these are so overbuilt a 100% mismatch won't hurt it.

18. plato67

plato67 Member

Thx for the link, but I found the response a little confusing. Does it go up or down?

19. JTM fan

JTM fan Member

from what I can gather.....it's halved. As in, if you're running 8 Ohm output into a 8 Ohm cab, and then you pull two tubes you have to run 4 Ohm output to match the 8 Ohm cab.