Vintage Traynor "plexi" owners, what cabs?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by rockinlespaul, Feb 13, 2008.

1. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

For those of you running older Traynor YBA's, YVM's, etc...what are you using for cabs/speakers? With what results?

I'm curious as I'm looking to try something new with my YVM. Thanks.

2. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Celestion Greenbacks are pretty sweet with my '68 Traynor Bassmaster.

3. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Yeah, I was using a Marshall 4X12 with greenbacks too, I was wondering if there was anything else out there that sounded better.

I sold the cab and want to go to a 2X12.

I agree, the greenbacks do sound good!

4. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

I ran mine through an open back Avatar 2-12 with G12H30/V30 combo, but I put a pair of Fanes in that cab. It sounds even better!

5. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

What Fanes? What difference did it make compared to the Celestion combination?

6. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

My YBA1 ia a '69. I am running 6L6s in it and have changed a few component values to make it more like a Bassman.

FWIW, it sounded great with the Celestions in the Avatar. I love that cab.

I have a pair of Swanson "OEM" Fanes that I removed from my Swanson Hylight style cab, because I felt they were too dark and kinda lifeless in that cab with my main Hiwatt amp.

I replaced them with Weber Thames, and have been happy. I really like the sound of all of my amps through the Fane-ish Webers, so after they sat in a box for 2 years, last week I installed the OEM Fanes in my Avatar 2-12. They definitely sound better in the Avatar than they did in my Swanson, but there is still a deadness to them. Maybe they need more break in time.....

The Fanes are a little tighter on the bottom end, and have more upper mid chime to them than the Celestions. I need to put the closed back on that cab and try it out. They don't break up as early as the Celestions.... I haven't tried the YBA1 in a band context with the Fanes, but I did not have enough headroom for my purposes with the Celestions the last time I tried it. The cleans always had a little hair on them instead of the chime of the Hiwatt that I prefer. It sounded great, but not what I need for the band....

I still prefer the Thames to the Fanes (I just got another pair from a TGP member today) with my Hiwatts (my main amps), so I will probably end up putting them into the Avatar cab.

Hope this helps.....

FWIW, I really wanted to like those Fanes, but I am about to give up on them, or maybe send them out for a recone....... They sound pretty good until they are A-B'd with the Thames.

7. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

Hey Guys,

I'm curious about you guys who are running greenbacks with your traynors. I've got a late 60's YBA-1 that's almost entirely been overhauled to '68 plexi specs. The only additional thing that's been added is an internal stepped attenuator. Since i've installed the attenuator, i've been able to crank the YBA and get some really great overdrives, but that seems to be freakin' out the 2x12 cab. The cab is a 3/4 back with 2 G12M's (made in England). I think what i'm hearing is 'cone-cry'... it's a subtle phasing sound when i really dig in, or when the amps running over 7. I know that everyone speaks highly of plexi's and greenbacks, but 50 watts of speaker paired with a 50 watt head being overdriven would seem to yield this phasy- cone-cry. Thoughts? Should I change out the speakers for higher rated speakers?

8. JDW3

JDW3 Member

Check your speakers to make sure they are in phase with each other, inside the cab.

I had a weber that had cone cry; it just had to break in. Sounds very smooth now.

9. The Whale

The Whale Supporting Member

JDW,

thanks for the advice. i checked the wiring and found this: The tip of the jack is connected to the first G12M (which is softer and doesn't cry as much) on the + pin. Then a wire is run from the first G12M's - pin to the + on the second speaker. The - on the second speaker is then run to the sleeve/ring connection on the jack. How can i tell if this is "in-phase"? Is this wired correctly?

Thanks, Mike

10. ROKY

ROKY Member

I have a '66 YBA-1 and a '68 YBA-1A, and have been real pleased
    with Celestion H30s, V30s and Golds(aLNiCo)s in various 2x12 and 4x12
    cabs-- including an openback 2x12 w the Golds.

The only mods done to the Traynors has been removing the brite caps.

The amps have played very well w/ a variety of configs., everywhere;
    rehearsals, in the studio, and at gigs .

I also have a YSR-1 that I prefer with Eminence Tonker and Cannabis
    Rex speakers; [in pairs] of each - haven't mixed them, at all.
    The YSR-1 is more Tweed-y than Plexi to my ears, tho'..

11. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

I've got a '71 YBA 3 Custom Special, and I have the matching Traynor YC810 cab to go with it. The guy I bought it from told me the cabinet had Eminence speakers in it. All I know is, it sounds great!

12. rockinlespaul

rockinlespaul Member

Thanks guys, keep em coming.

To the Whale guy....might not be enough speaker bro. The Traynor may say 50 watts, but I'm thinking in reality they are a lot more than that. Try it thru a 4X12 loaded with greenbacks.

My '69 YVM is supposedly only 40-50 watts. I call ********. That sucker is LOUD AS HELL!!!!!!