Sold Vintage Traynor YBA-2A 6V6 Excellent Condition

Discussion in 'Amps & Cabs Emporium Archive' started by ancient, May 11, 2015.

1. ancient

ancient Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Up for sale is this 1969 Traynor YBA-2 head. Its the 6V6 version (fairly rare) and in museum quality condition. The amp is has been fully serviced, works great and has a set of matching NOS power tubes installed. Great Traynor grind at lower volume levels. Handles pedals REALLY well. With the volume set to slight breakup (around 1/2) and a fuzz or overdrive up front it turns into a fire breathing dragon. Glorious three dimensional sounding overtones. It actually sounds better than the YBA-1 I am keeping only because it's louder. If you are not familiar with Traynor amps they are loud as hell. This amp can easily hold it's own in the context of a live band with a loud drummer.

More Info:

The Traynor YBA-2 Bassmate amplifier is the 25 watt version of the YBA-1 Bassmaster head and is point-to-point handwired with original Hammond transformers. The controls are Volume, Bass and Treble with high and low inputs with one 8 ohm speaker out. Features include older style original black chicken head knobs as used on the early Traynor Dynabass amps, old-style cabinet design with old-style block-letter Traynor logo. The schematic attached to the heat shield is dated 31 Jan 69.

As you can see from the pics this head is in super clean condition, gently treated and infrequently played. This particular YBA-2 is the 6V6 variant which is more rare and harder to come by as most of the YBA-2's I've seen typically have EL84 output tubes. For safety reasons, the power cord has been upgraded to 3 prong grounded plug. In terms of comparison, this 6V6 equipped Bassmate achieves tones that are similar to a Fender Deluxe of the blackface era at less than half the cost of a Blackface Deluxe.

A little history on this amp... It has an additional plate on the back of the amp that states "Built Expressly for Drums Unlimited, Inc. Bethesda, MD. USA". Vintage tone without the usual vintage price tag.

Listed below are it's maintenance records. I would say at this point it's probably good to go for many years.

Serviced: 06/29/2012
    Amp Tech: Cono via Pentatonic Guitars Brooklyn
    Replaced power tubes and rebiased (Philips JAN NOS 6V6GT matched pair)
    Cleaned and lubed all pots jacks and power switch
    Retensioned and cleaned all tube socket pins
    Reflowed solder unto all tagboard connections
    Retightened all loose components and hardware
    Cost: $220.31

Serviced: 09/27/2013
    Amp Tech: Cono via Pentatonic Guitars Brooklyn
    Replaced indicator bulb
    Replaced preamp tube #1
    Cleaned and lubed all potentiometers
    Replaced preamp cathode electrolytic capacitors
    Replaced power tube cathode electrolyic capacitor
    Cost: $137.18

Total overall investment: $988.99

I am asking $630 plus shipping (what I paid for it back in 2008 before it was serviced).

Last edited: May 15, 2015
  2. ancient

ancient Member

3. ancient

ancient Member

The amp sold this afternoon (and I regret selling it already). Thank you all for looking and keep the rock flowing through those old Traynors!