Vintage Traynors ('60's & 70's) ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Wes_k, Jan 26, 2006.

1. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

Just was looking (on the internet) at some late 60's and early 70's traynors and they seem like a decent vintage amp at a reasonable price. (being a university student money is everything)

Anyone own an YGM-3 combo? Are they a good amp? tone wise is it more less a fendery sound?....any other suggestions of early traynor amps within the 20 - 40 watt range? (head or combo)

I was also looking at the silverface Fenders, but they seemed to have spiked in price a bit along with the blackface craze...

2. AL30

AL30 Member

Old Traynors are a smart move. They sound great and are built like a tank. You'll hear that a lot - and it's true. I am currently working on a YSR-1. It's up and running but still needs a few tweaks. It has a unique sound. Good cleans, good "thump" and definitely a keeper.

There are a few Traynor players around here and most of them will swear by their amps. The YBA-1 seems to be the hot one and is apparently very close to a Marshall Plexi.

These are very good deals in vintage amps without the hefty price tag of a Marshall or Fender. I've never played the model you're referring to but there is some info here.

http://www.informatik.uni-bremen.de/~dace/vb/
    http://www.lynx.net/~jc/traynorSchmArchive.html

AL

3. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

Best bang for the buck you'll ever find in an amp. I've got two, a YBA-1 head and a YGM-3 combo. I am, like, totally into "great tones for few bones." ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. joseph

joseph Member

Keep in mind that the old ones are (mostly) non-master volume, VERY LOUD if you want natural crunch, and usually require a tune-up if they've been unmaintained in a garage somewhere for 30+ years.
    Finding a reliable tech for the above takes some effort and $50-100 or more depending.
    If you like a very loud clean sound, they're great amps. Kind of like playing thru an old Dual Showman.
    The new Traynors are also fabulous bang for buck.

5. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Here are a couple of good vintage Traynors.

CT.[​IMG]

6. lanesmat

lanesmat Member

Drop a line on your upcoming tweaks; I would be interested in your results. I have a YSR-1 Custom Reverb which is dead stock that is waiting in the wings for some tweaking in the future.

FWIW, the YSR-1 Traynor sounds more like a 50 watt SF Twin with EL34's and is not really Fender or Marshall-like IMO. It is a very articulate and loud amp with its own vibe. Although Traynors are relatively easy to mod, each of their models do have their own sound, so research would be prudent depending on what tone your looking for.

Good luck,
    Scott L.

7. Tapp

Tapp Member

Vintage Traynors are great tube amp values. The YBA1 is very close to the 5F6A/JTM45 circuit. A few tweaks and it's a poor man's Bassman/Plexi. I prefer the mid-late 60's YBA1's with choke, but I found an early 70's one for a friend. I modded it to "plexi" specs and installed a Marstran OT. Even without the choke, it's an awesome sounding amp. I've also got a YVM1 voicemaster (PA) head that Andy Fuchs OD'd for me and it's a great sounding amp too!

Tapp

8. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

Thanks for all the great info....

after reading up on those websites it looks like the YGM-3 would be my best bet...

Now, the only problem now is finding one in decent condition at a reasonable price....there is one on ebay now, but with three days left I think the price will rise considerably...Plus shipping from Nevada to Canada can't be that cheap either....

the Bassmaster head (YBA-1) seems pretty decent too, but may be a bit to much power....

keep the suggestions/opinions coming....

9. Lammy

Lammy Member

I love my Traynors, I have a pair of YGMs and a YBA. They are awesome.

10. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

Hey Jon,

Since you own the two models I was looking at, I was wondering if you could comment on what kind of tones you get out of the YBA-1 and the YGM-3??? At what volume do they start to break-up??

11. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

Encore Music in Toronto has a clean YGM-3, and he`d ship. My YGM has a G12 H30 Heritage, and that speaker seems to be just right with that amp. I also use a Weber Mass, as it is a loud 20 watter. Good luck. Here is the link to Encore.

http://www.encore-music.ca/

CT.

12. CocoTone

CocoTone Senior Member

By the way, I had a YBA-1, and although very nice amp, way too loud for most practical applications. At least as loud as any Marshall I`ve come across. The Guitarmate can be a bit flubby with the stock speaker, but the 1 Heritage seems to tame that well.

CT.

13. Jon Silberman

Jon Silberman 10Q Jerry & Dickey Gold Supporting Member

The stock Marsland speaker in the YGM-3 is quite possibly the *******st speaker you'll ever hear anywhere. You can't judge the amp at all with that in it, really!

My take on the YBA-1 is that yes, it's loud, but it all depends on how you want to use it. I actually prefer its tones right at or below significant breakup and at that volume, it works for me both at home and at jams.

The YGM-3 is loud and remarkably clean-sounding to me for a 2XEL84 amp. You have to change the 1000pf bright switch, though, stock it's like staring into the sun.

14. NatStrat79

NatStrat79 Member

the guitarmate is a great amp. I have one from 1971 thats been my main amp for about a year. The stock speakers are definately a weak point for these amps and need to be the first thing to go. These amps are built like tanks with quality componets. Hammond transformers and if your lucky the same "mustard" caps that are famous for being part of the marshall plexi tone. i bought mine for 300 US. i spent about 150 on new speaker, tubes and misc parts to get it up to snuff. but for the 450 that i have invested this thing will smoke most deluxe reverbs (the amp usually compared to a guitarmate). I think the tone has more of a marshall growl too it when cranked and a nice voxy chime when clean. i did do a few simple mods though to make it a little more to my liking so take that with a grain of salt.

15. cocheese

cocheese Supporting Member

I've got a 1966 YBA-1 and it ROCKS! It's like a more aggressive JTM45 to me ear. I need to get some new tubes for it as the one in it right now are the originals! (YIKES) The previous owner but a half power switch in it and it works very well at bringing the wattage down. With the huge trannies it is still loud though. It sounds stunning through my Germino 2x12 cab. For the money, I don't think the tone can be beat.

16. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

If I were to pick up a YGM-3, what kind of speaker would be a good upgrade?

17. Robert1950

Robert1950 Member

He's right. The vintage and used stores are the best. I've never been to Encore, but there are always at least three or four heads/combs in Capsule Music and Songbird Music every time I'm in there. Paul's Boutique also had a few. Heads are usually $3-400 Cdn. Combo $450 Cdn max - some a lot lower.

18. Wes_k

Wes_k Member

Awesome, really good to know...I live in the GTA, but never really knew of any good shops that carry a lot of used/vintage stuff...hopefully ill make my way to those places soon....I NEED TUBE TONE! :)

19. mcflymcflymcfly

mcflymcflymcfly Member

awesome, those stores have them?

sweet i live down in the kitchener waterloo region, i should make a trip up there and pick me up a YBA-1 :)

20. Tripower455

Tripower455 Member

[​IMG]

This is my '69 YBA1....... Great amp! I just recapped it, changed the volume pots to 1 meg, put a grounded power cord in and it flat out rocks..... The best $350 I've ever spent on an amp! I need to tweak a few things, but overall, a great sounding amp at any price.......