Vintage Trem Blocks Need Repair

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by zombiwoof, Jul 25, 2008.

1. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

I recently found two of my old Strat trem blocks that I used on my now-gone '63 Strat. Both have the broken-off trem pieces stuck in them. Since these are both worth some money now, I'd like to have someone who knows what they're doing remove the broken bits, so I can sell them. One I'm almost positive is the original from my '63, with the plate, the other is a 70's one-piece zinc block assembly that I'd replaced it with. I replaced that assembly two or three times in the late 70's when I was on the road, and had to use what was available at the time, the zinc one piece type.

I want to find someone who has done this before and can assure me they won't damage the blocks or the threads. I prefer someone in Southern California, so I can talk to them directly and take it there, but if I have to send it to someone that can be trusted I will. A little nervous about that, though, considering what these are worth now.

If anyone here knows where I can get this done please let me know.

P.S. Notice that the older block has faceted edges, not rounded? Is this typical for a '63? It's been so long that I don't remember what the story is on that one, although I think it might be my original.

Pic:

[​IMG][​IMG]http://s45.photobucket.com/albums/f91/zombiwoof/Strat Trem Blocks/?action=view&current=IM000687.jpg

Thanks for any info,
    Al

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  2. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

You need to find a small engineering shop.
    There is a tool a bit like a left handed thread tap called an easy out that requires a hole to be drilled in the broken bar. Should not be to much of a problem.
    I find the zinc ones worse to get out because it seams to get jammed harder in before it snaps off.
    Good Luck.

3. zombiwoof

Just a bump in case someone may have had this done, I'd like to find a shop that has already successfully done this. A friend of mine took one to a machine shop and they were unsuccessful in removing the piece of the bar from the block, so I don't just want to randomly try a shop in hopes they can do it.

Thanks for any responses,
    al

4. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

If you want to mail them to me I'll get try to get them out in one piece and clean up the threads. I can't guarantee the stub will come out perfect - if it doesn't I'll retap the holes. What makes it hard is they are at an angle deep in a hole, but I've done a dozen, or so all with great success.

5. zombiwoof

Thanks for the offer, I just got a PM from a guy near me who says he can do it, so I'll see how that goes.

Al

6. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Do you use the easy out method?