Vintage TS 9 Tube Screamer on NJ CL $190

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Nickstrtcstr, Feb 19, 2012.

1. Nickstrtcstr

Nickstrtcstr Lactose Intolerant Guitar Slinger

2. vintage66

vintage66 Member

What to look for in case one pops up here? Black label? Something to do with trademark next to name? Maxon on board? If I lived there I'd be on my way.

3. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

Is that a good price? I ask because I have an early 80's TS9 and I always thought they were a dime a dozen?

4. Nickstrtcstr

They are quite sought after.

5. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

If it is a Black Label, why not take a picture of the Bottom? Or why not show a Gut Shot? You've got to be careful on this stuff, because if it's the Real Deal and he knows it, why is it so cheap?

I've got one from 1981, as well as a TS-808, so if anyone needs a Reference Picture, PM me. Also, Analogman has a great resource on his website so you can see just about every early TS pedal made.

6. groovington

groovington Member

I've collected plenty of these. '81 and '82 will have black labels, grey colored batter clip, and the board and back of the battery cover should both say maxon on them. I'd ask if you can open it up and unscrew the back. Looking inside you should see a bunch of green resistors and the hopefully the JRC4558D chip. The first number of the 4 digits on the chip will tell you the year it was made. (2xxx means made in '82). Also, the blue capacitors have a code like this A8229, meaning they were made during the 29th week of '82. $190 seems like a fair price. I've seen the ts9s go on Ebay between $200-$240 sometimes.

7. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

Black label is definitely vintage. If its silver, then you'll have to look closer. A CE mark is a dead giveaway, but early reissues didn't have them. A JRC4558D chip indicates an original, as they didn't use them in the reissue until recently. If its a TA chip, you'll need to look at cap dates, but TA chips aren't as desirable.

I got $250 for a 82 TS9 recently.

8. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

I just swung by and bought it from the guy. He's actually a barber who 'happens' to have a full Kustom amp guitar stack in his barber shop where he jams when he's not cutting hair. Pretty cool guy with a ton of gear. It all looks really authentic, I took the back off and the Maxon logo is there (check photos below). I've only fired it up once here on my Marshall at low volumes - it sounds good, but I"m getting some issues from the level knob, it's like the juice is cutting out a bit at some spots - power issue, maybe? I"m running it on a 1 spot. maybe I should fire it up with a 9 volt. Cosmetically, it looks pretty sharp, but I believe it's an original. . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Nickstrtcstr

You're welcome! Good luck with it.

10. Frosted Glass

Frosted Glass Member

I looks authentic to me. Re the problem your'e describing, is it intermittent or does it occurr when you are turning the volume pot? Does the sound cut out all together or just drop in volume? I'd recommend flipping the baord and seeing if any of the wires have snapped loose. The unit I bought the tone control was non-functioning. When I opened it up a wire had broken loose of the tone pot.

11. lifeson1

Thanks for the advice, I"ll take a look. It seemed fine today. . . It's weird - it plays fine for a good period and then I'll just get a volume break, and that INCLUDES when the pedal is not engaged. Any thoughts here? Like I said, I didn't experience it today, but I am curious. . .

12. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

I picked up a TS808HW for $180 Cdn. this past week via craigslist.
    OK, so no elusive, vintage mojo but I wonder what folks would choose if they had a side-by-side choice of a 1982 vintage TS9 and a near new TS808HW.
    ...for sound, not simply being for being a collectible dust accumulator for bragging rights.

13. lifeson1

I find that there are some real noticeable differences, not just in tone, but in pedal tone 'feel' altogether. From what I've played before, this vintage one is not as stiff, and I hate to use the term 'organic' but it is. . . Just like in most black label pedals, there is just some real vibe to them. . . It's not a transparent pedal by any means, but it makes everything sound a lot better than it is. I can tell you that immediately this pedal has kicked my Timmy to the curb, for now. I'll know more once I break it out love this weekend.

14. whackystrings

whackystrings Member

For sake of clarity, this is a comparison of...
    ...a vintage TS9 to a TS808HW? a TS808RI?
    ...or is it a vintage TS9 to a brand new TS9 available on the market today?
    I ask because I once owned a TS9 circa 1982 model and I have gone through a TS10, TS808RI, and now a TS808HW.
    I am just curious about what folks perceive as being the difference. Thanks.

15. lifeson1

Sorry about that, I was referring to the 82 TS 9 vs a new one.

16. psychodave

psychodave Senior Member

Check and clean both the input and output jacks.

17. lifeson1

Will do. What's the best way to do that?