• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Vintage tubes...

RichSZ

Gold Supporting Member
I'm converted!!! I was the biggest skeptic when it came to vintage tubes. Hogwash I said...I can get just as good tone with current production such as JJ's or the new Tung Sol's. Well I recently came into possesion of 12 50's & 60's 12AX7's including GE's from 1958, RCA's from 1960, blackplate Sylvania's, & a couple Raytheon's. Nothing later than a 1963 date code.

I've been having a blast sorting throught he tubes to find what works in my two amps (a Liverpool clone & my FTR 37).

The Liverpool never sounded so good and the FTR 37 is at a whole new level. I'm just amazed I could tell such a difference. I just feel lucky I got these tubes for almost nothing.

Anyway...vintage tubes rule!

-Rich

DC1

Yes, over the years I've gotten a bunch of NOS and used tubes from decades ago and they do sound different, and often better.

dc

rockon1

Platinum Supporting Member
Vintage tubes (especially 12AX7's) are a waste of money.

Ive managed to "waste " quite a bit on them ! lol! Bob

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
i used to live with JJs, Sovteks and EH (never could stand Groove Tubes) - but then I discovered NOS. GAME OVER. No joke how much immediacy and spank comes out, and less grainy and harsh, and better odds of not crapping out in two seconds, etc etc - it's not all hype!

Last edited:

Macaroni

I'm a NOS user all the way. I researched suppliers carefully and over the last few years have acquired a modest stash of holy grail tubes for my Kingsley D32C. At any given time, I've got around $500+ worth of tubes in my amp, and those were very good deals on the tubes - no exorbitant prices.

I can swap power tubes in my amp, using a pair of Mullard EL84s, + any pair of, RCA 6L6GC, RCA 6V6 GTA, Mullard EL34 xf2 & xf4, Amperex EL34, Tung Sol 5881, Philips JAN 7581A. Plus my preamps have Telefunken, Amperex, Tesla, Philips Mini Wat 12AX7s, and a Mullard GZ34 rectifier.

I A/B'd these tubes 1 by 1 as I experimented with them, and in each case, the tonal upgrade was distinct and usually dramatically obvious. Well worth the investment, IMHO.

TubezAmpz

I'm a new convert. I recently was give an RCA tube by my local dealer which looks pretty old... said he'd probably never use it again but I put in the gain stage of my Traynor YCS50 and took the JJ out... sweet difference. The gain has a more pleasing texture and the sound seems more lively and up front. I will likely be buying more NOS in the future...

59Vampire

Rockon rockon1!!!! nice photo welcome to the club Rich!!

Last edited:

Julia343

I'm converted to the GE 5751 in the PI of high gain amps. It seems to give a little more openness to the sound. I just can't afford those Mullards and Telefunkens or even find those pre-war Ei's.

Consequently I'm trying the new Tung Sols, not that they're that much different from the other stuff from New Sensor.

rockon1

I love NOS, just hard to know what you are getting, and lots of $$$$$$$$$.

I learned how to spot tubes from pictures from guys right here and elsewhere on the web. I'd look for tubes not necessarily listed by thier brand on ebay and pick them up cheap sometimes. None of them are NOS but rather used old stock pre amp tubes since they last way longer than power tubes. Also bought an Eico 625 tester to help weed out the bad ones. Doesnt mean I have spent a few K on them though! (probably more) over a couple years time. eek: Bob

jackbart1960

I just wish I had the boxes and boxes of tubes my dad pitched in the 70's. Had to be 10-15 large boxes. Everything was going to be solid state, no? Peace. J.J.B.

rockon1

I just wish I had the boxes and boxes of tubes my dad pitched in the 70's. Had to be 10-15 large boxes. Everything was going to be solid state, no? Peace. J.J.B.
Wish I could go back and pluck all the tubes out of the stuff people junked every spring on collection day! Every year old stereo's,TV's and other electronics were set out on the curb with all the other junk.Bob

Trending Topics