1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Vintage twang tele bridge pickup ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clapointe1, Feb 19, 2009.

1. clapointe1

clapointe1 Member

I'm that classic vintage twang telecaster sound for a bridge pickup , so which one ?

2. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Duncan Antiquities are great. Don Mare if you feel like waiting a little longer. Those are probably the two most obvious choices from where I'm sitting.

3. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

What he said.

4. zosozep7

zosozep7 Gold Supporting Member

I just bought a set of Van Zandt True Vintage that are suppose to be awesome. I havent installed them yet but have heard alot of positive things on them. Cant wait to try them out!

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

And what HE said too. I could add that Lindy Fralin makes a good one, as does Fred Stuart and Jason Lollar.

It's a great time to buy a Tele pickup - there really are tons of good ones. I'm jonesin' for a set of Don Mare Stingray bridge and Stelly neck pickup as I write this.

Dana O.

6. BarryW

BarryW Member

I've got a Don Mare Super Sport set in my blue tele - absolutely beautiful pickups. You can't beat em.

7. Polynitro

Polynitro Member

Fralin, Mare, Stuart, Novak, or any of the usual suspects...I like the lower output for classic tele around 7K...Ive got a Novak set in my Tele and a Fralin in my Esquire, I have a Mare Super Sport bridge going in another Tele, I also have a set of Fender OVs that are just as good as the others. They're ALL GOOD.

8. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

As Per recommendation from Steve Rhian who's a Texas Country Telemaster,I bought a set of Textone Tele pickups.The bridge pickup give you that nice rich classic tele twang with out be harsh on the top end. It's a very balance sounding pickup. The neck Textone pickup compliments the bridge very well. Here's a link to their website.I've got the Model T/TC in the bridge, and the Model -T in the neck.
    http://www.tex-tonepickups.com/id73.html

Here's some pics of the Textone's in my New to me '78 Tobacco Sunburst Tele.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. zombiwoof

zombiwoof Supporting Member

If you don't want to go the boutique route, the Duncan Broadcaster model is an awesome Tele pickup IMO.

Al

10. greggorypeccary

greggorypeccary Member

A lot of choices. I have a Lollar vintage staggered in my Tele.

11. wingwalker

wingwalker Fuzzy Guitars

It's hard to go wrong with Duncans...the Vintage 54 Lead is great as is the Broadcaster or even the Alnico II Pro and don't rule out the 5/2's and the Vintage Rhythm is great too...if you can spend a little more cash the Duncan Antiquities is amazing, some of the best pickups out there are Antiquities!

12. Jellecaster

Jellecaster Member

All of the pups mentioned are great, but if you specifically want twang - as in Don Rich Bakersfield twang, you really need a 60's style staggered pole pickup. I second the recommendation for the Duncan 54's. Either that, or get a set of Fender `62 Customs :

http://www.guitarpartsresource.com/pickups_tele62custom.htm

13. Gas-man

Gas-man Unrepentant Massaganist

I just picked up the Jerry Donahue SD bridge pup on a recom from a Telemaster friend of mine.

I wanted something with fatter mids and he says this delivers. We'll see once I get it in there.

14. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Depends on which vintage twang you need. The two tele bridge p/us that do it for me are Don Mare's. The lower output 2324, higher output 0038. They differ mainly in volume. Both will twang, cut, scream, do anything you want. There's warmth, clarity and resonance in both. BTW: the bridge and saddles are just as influential in twang characteristics. You might want to look there too if you haven't already.

15. jimmyj

jimmyj Member

That's the tele bridge pickup that I prefer. It's got a nice smooth midrange but still has a clear vintage-style tele bridge tone, IMO.
    It was designed to emulate tone of the pickup in Donahue's '52 tele so it should do vintage twang.