Vintage Uni-Vibe owners (past & present), tell us tales of tone euphoria!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Eskimo_Joe, Apr 20, 2016.

1. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

I'd be interested to hear about your experiences with vintage Uni-Vibes?

Believe the hype or over-hyped?

How do they compare to modern boutique vibes?

Do they hold up pretty well or do they require maintenance of some sort?

Any noteworthy model changes/differences?

jimmycupo and MrMoose like this.
  2. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Jo-Jo Beans likes this.
  3. Phase45child

Phase45child Member

4. analogmike

analogmike Gold Supporting Member

I have 4 or 5, one of them sounds really amazing. The mint in box one, not so good. The others sound fine. We have been comparing all the repros on the market to my best one and they are getting close!

[​IMG]

5. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

it's not a 'real-deal', but my kr megavibe is everything i ever dreamed of

Echomachine and jm9239 like this.
  6. 71strat

71strat Member

Have you A/Bd it with a Mayer VoodooVibe+ ?

Eskimo_Joe likes this.
  7. Eskimo_Joe

Eskimo_Joe Rocker, roller, way out of controller Supporting Member

More please!!!

8. Stk1520

Stk1520 Supporting Member

I own these two -- both sound great . . . but the earlier model has that 'something special' going on:

[​IMG]

Echomachine, Eskimo_Joe and bog70 like this.
  9. scotticus

scotticus Member

My gray cord Uni Vibe utterly destroyed the gold Deja Vibe I used to have on my board. The Vibe Machine, though I don't have it anymore, really stood its ground, that thing sounds great.

Eskimo_Joe likes this.
  10. MrMoose

MrMoose Member

Whose repro do you have in this pic Mike?

11. Supercubziggy

Supercubziggy Member

I have an early two striper and it has literally written songs by itself. Its so 3D it is shocking. The rehearsal room fills with sound. I plug an Nk275 fuzz into it and people step out into the hallway to see what the commotion is. I haven't A/B'd it with many repros but i would love to have this tone and be able to leave the two striper at home. Jimi was no fool...

Eskimo_Joe likes this.
  12. wundergussy

wundergussy Member

Either you don't know what "literally" means, or you should call a paranormal investigator.

13. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

I have played thru a few and only ever found ONE during all my years as a "picker".....and to be honest, while it sounded good, the fulltone dejavibe version 1 I had sounded better to my ears.

if you want a vintage one, you're gonna need to have someone like Analog Mike get it back up to spec for it to sound great.

and there are SO MANY really nice modern versions of that pedal about.....why bother with the expense and grief of having a vintage one?

get a fulltone deja vibe, or a FOXROX Aqua Vibe, or a Sweet Sound Ultra Vibe, or even a VoodooLabs vibe (if you're on a budget) and get your vibe ON!

Kid Casseroli likes this.
  14. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

I have two vintage units. Both sound different, both good/great but whenever I hook one up I find myself longing for an Aquavibe or a Captain Coconut Provibe. I guess it's just what I'm used to.

Univibes from back then compared to the best of the current vibe clones is similar to Fuzz Faces back then compared to the best FF clones. Back in the day, they built the units up and if they worked, they shipped'em out. They didn't have a guy sweating it out in a room, making sure each unit sounded "right". Also parts values can drift over time, especially the photocells. Most vintage Univibes sound at least a little different now than they did when they were new - for better or for worse. So there are a lot of old duds out there. But at the same time, people have different ideas of how a vibe or fuzz should sound. So one guy's dud is another guy's gem.

15. Dave Fox

Dave Fox Senior Pedalmaker

Here's a video I made a few years ago while fixing a vibe that a guy sent in.

Echomachine, Terry Hayes and k tone like this.
  16. orogeny

orogeny Supporting Member

very true
    don't know how i forgot about the aqua vibe and provibe (held onto my aquavibe forever until i let it go to jack zucker)
    also the ultra vibes

so many great choices

Bobby D likes this.
  17. midnightlaundry

midnightlaundry Member

I own a FT Mini Deja Vibe 3 that sounds good to me, but I never owned a vintage unit, so I have no point of reference. Maybe someone could share some of their knowledge on this.

18. Kid Casseroli

Kid Casseroli Member

I agree with these comments. I believe they speak for themselves without clarification.

In any vibe thread, keeping these ideas in mind would give context and greater understanding to the contoversy that arises as a result of a search for "best". The selection of a vibe usually comes down to personal preference of what sounds "good" rather than a consensus on "best".

IMO, a perfectly valid comment is "I like this vibe because it sounds good to me". Giving reasons would be a plus. That should limit the controversy, but ultimately, it means we have to try several to find what we like.

From time to time a question like this appears, "How close does a certain brand of vibe compare to the sound of an original, vintage Uni Vibe?

If all vintage Uni Vibes sounded the same, an A/B test would provide the answer. But with so much variation among vintage units, there is little consensus on how to describe their sound.

In making a decision to acquire any type of gear, a good place to start is finding something that has a personal appeal. How well the gear compares to an original should be secondary, IM0, because the original might not be your preference.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2016
    Pedro58 and Eskimo_Joe like this.
  19. tonewave

tonewave Member

I'll just say I had the pleasure to play a vintage uni-vibe last year in Vancouver at Exile which happens to be on Main St, which is owned by the guy who makes
    the transistor and tube pedals, ie MORE etc. For me it was a near religious experience, the 3D thing was overwhelming, I was playing at pretty lowish volumes and it felt like you could "see" into the clouds that the vibe was making around the guitar's notes. It was 1200 or so CAD, plus tax, which I just don't have for such things, but damn it was amazing to finally play through a real Uni-vibe. I have a Ultra vibe 2 and a CC2 which has the provibe in it, both of them amazing vibes, that have the ability to be modern as well as vintage sounding. I think back after reading these above posts and I think the one I played was one of the good ones :)

Eskimo_Joe likes this.
  20. Red_Label

Red_Label Supporting Member

Didn't care for the UniVibe that I had.

But I am interested in the Strymon Lex.