Vintage vibe Strat P90's, will it keep quackin' ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Soulgolem, Aug 14, 2008.

1. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hello all, I'm thinking about putting Pete's Vintage Vibe Strat (single coil size) P90's in my guitar because I need more output.

I mainly use the bridge alone, the neck alone and the bridge-middle quack position. I was wondering if I will retain the bridge-middle quack if I put those p90's and leave a low output middle single coil pickup.

Francis.

2. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Almost certainly not, or at least way less.

Quack sorta works in a way that's inversely proportionate to pickup output - the hotter the pickups, the less quack. Also, many folks report getting more quack by using a weaker, dis-similar pickup for the middle one - on a Strat, that'd be a weak middle pickup as compared to the neck and bridge pickups.

The hotter the pickups, the less quacky they'll be in general.

I have no direct experience with Pete Biltoff's pickups - I've played guitars with 'em a couple times and I thought they sounded great, but I've never actually tried to use three of the Vintage Vibe Strat P-90's in a guitar, I'm speaking 'in general' here.

Hope this helps, Dana O.

3. Go Cat Go!!

Go Cat Go!! Member

Great, great pickups. I have a set in a MIM 60 series strat. It's hard to not get a good sound out of these. However, they do not have as much quack as the weaker regular strat pups. I am using a full set though. You may have better quack results with your config.

4. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

hi, thanks for the reply, but I meant to say that the neck and bridge will be Pete's strat P90s, but the middle will be a weak single coil.

5. Flinto2002

Flinto2002 Senior Member

I have 3 P90's in a Tyler mongoose. It's quackier than a humbucker in 2 & 4, but not really very stratish. I agree with the other posters that the hotter you go, the less spank you're gonna get.

6. bosstone

bosstone Member

You are going to end up quackless. That doesn't mean it can't sound great though.

7. Soulgolem

Soulgolem Member

Hmm, opinions on this seem to be either black or white.. ! Any other peeps experienced with a similar setup ?

8. CitizenCain

CitizenCain Member

I put a set of the VV SP90s in a friend's MIM Std Strat. Super pickups for sure and they still quacked OK. Not the noisiest duck I've ever heard, but unmistakable as a duck.